Who went 1290 to 790? Talk to me.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Roadhawg011, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
  3. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    im not that attached to em :lol3 just thought you guys might like to see em.
    Haven’t had a chance to go see the 790. Bloody work.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    Ok, that particular 790 is sold, so I'm saved making a decision for now.

Sales guy says he has another one coming with less mileage, so that would be better anyway.
  5. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    Depends on how/where the mileage was done ;)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    It was only ~R15000 (About $1000) off the brand new list price and had 7000kms on. I felt they couldve chucked in a pipe or something else for that price but they didn't want to.

To be fair, the scarcity of the things, they can almost charge what they want. There isn't 1 new bike available in our entire country currently. Most of the ones coming in next month are already booked too. Seems KTM can't make enough of them
  7. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 790 Rs are being discounted in the UK by about €700, plenty available there, for example:

https://www.phmotorcycles.co.uk/product/ktm-790-adventure-r-save-600/

Should be much bigger discounts come December/January, always the same, nothing changes. You'd be a mug to pay list price for any of these bikes in Europe.
  8. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    That's really lucky man!

Here because of the lack of stock, There's like zero chance of getting any good deals. There's so much deman they'll sell every single one they get their hands on.

Best I got offered was to pay a R10 000 (Say $700) deposit on a bike coming "Sometime in December/Jan" and they'll throw in R5000 (Say $350) worth of accessories.
  9. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Roadhawg011 see if there’s an Andy strapz seller in SA. He makes a rack and it’s what I’ve got on my bike.
  10. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    Nothing here really. Would have to import and the shipping and import tax basically doubles cost.
    The local rack seems really nice, otherwise I’ll go for the SWMotech quick release ones. I have them on my 1290 and they’re great.

Hell I still have to find a 790 to buy :lol3

what’s the deal with the decat? Seems it’s the only way to get a decent noise out of the thing, but lots of stories of destroying the engine, running lean etc.
    I find it hard to believe that cat removal can cause that much shit. I live at fairly high altitude anyway so I doubt it’s gonna ever run lean.
  11. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread,
    I had a deposit down on a 2020 790R (for whenever the bikes arrived in the US). About three weeks ago I took a 500 mile gravel, dirt, pavement trip on my 500 EXC. I put a Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag on the 500 and attached two liter sized MSR fuel containers to the saddlebag, and changed the shock spring. This was the first time I had "loaded up" the 500. To make a long story short - the EXC was fantastic on the trip - the luggage was not noticeable (other than when climbing on and off).

I spent about 2 ½ weeks pondering the bikes and becoming more and more convinced that I really wanted a bike more suited to pavement riding to complement the 500. Yesterday I got a good deal on a new 2019 1290 SA S. I LOVE the 1290, and I really think that the 500 will keep working well for me as a dual sport bike.

Ralph
  12. John Rossi

John Rossi n00b

Oddometer:
    I have both a 790-r and a 1290-r and can only keep one. I too was intrigued by the hype around the new 790, found one used with 700 miles on it, and bought it on the spot. I've been riding it for the last month and have split miles on and off road. Off road there is no comparison. 790 all day long. The seating position is way better, COG/Weight, steering inputs, etc are all tops compared to the 1290. On road I would gladly take the 1290. Better wind protection, motor, HP, and you really start to appreciate the build spec and quality on the 1290 compared to the 790. The 790 just feels a little cheap when you aren't standing on the pegs and it's kind of a let down in that mental department. At the end of the day it's a great bike but just not quite the flagship that the 1290's are. I am seriously considering whether I am going to keep it.
    TheBritAbroad and motoman250f like this.
  13. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear you on the 500. I had one for a few years and just loved it. The downside is that I have to ride a lot of highway to get to dirt and am not interested in towing the bike so the 500 was not good for highway stuff. If no highway then I would be on a 500 no doubt!
    MTBRALPH likes this.
  14. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    I felt the same thing when I test rode the 790. I know the owners here won't like it, but it did feel cheap compared to the 1290. I was extremely underwhelmed riding the 790 on the street, until I hit a speed bump....then it made sense haha.

Getting back on the 1290 was like getting back into a nice luxury vehicle haha. I also realise just how little throttle and RPM I use on the big girl in day to day riding. I think it'll be a case of swapping the moments where the 1290 pokes at you to do silly things with the throttle, for moments where the 790 pokes you to do silly things with the suspension and terrain around you:lol3

I'm still on the fence. Luckily I can't make a decision even if I wanted to right now. There's not a single 790 R for sale anywhere in SA, new or used. Plenty of S models, but I'm not interested in that one.
    Venturer and TheBritAbroad like this.
  15. funkymunky

funkymunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey RoadHawg,

I picked up the 790, traded my AT in for it. Massive improvement all around! Now I have a problem, what do I do with my 690....
  16. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in the right place... had my ‘18 SAR for just under a year now. Got 10k miles on her, and have really challenged her (and my) abilities in it — hard single track, Rocky right mountainside switch backs and deep sand runs for days. It’s big for sure, and takes muscle to move it and recover constantly where you need it, but I test rode the 790r (some said it was Quinn Cody’s actual bike) at the Washington Touratech rally. I found the throttle response really snatchy and couldn’t find a cruising position — either on or off. But I’m sure there’s workaround for that. At the end of the ride I remember being grateful as it definitely didn’t feel like a world apart from my big girl, and I felt comfortable knowing I’d get back on my 1300cc off road bike and keep enjoying it..... BUT.....

as the months have rolled on and I’ve been trawling these threads and staring at pictures, I’m SO tempted again and have forgotten the exact feel of my test ride. It was about 20 minutes on tight two track, but not enough to leave a blazing imprint on me. So now I’m here doing the math on how much I’d lose with all the farkles and engine bits and luggage bits (3 sets for the 1290 so far! Tusk L boxes, Giant Loop RTW and mototreks) which I don’t know would marry well to the 790.

There’s no real point to this, just putting my thoughts out there. But after hearing the 500exc did good as a dirt bike adv, and looking at that new husky 701 long range, I’m tempted to skip the huge loss in 1290 sunk cost, and get a used actual dual sport as a third bike! 350/450 plated, or 500, or older 690/701, or even go right down to a wr250r!

Rant over. Continue as you were
  17. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That snatchy throttle you felt was Rally mode throttle response that a rider like Quinn no doubt prefers. A simple change to the offroad response would have taken care of that and you would have been able to ride very comfortably with that mode. The electronic wizardry available on the 790 allows you to tailor the bike ot your style, so don't write it off based on one ride using someone else's preferred settings. Go back again and before you ride it, set it to rally mode/offroad TR/Offroad ABS/TC level 4 and head for some gravel. You should find this to be a hoot with very controlled slide outs in the turns and throttle reponse quick enough to adjust to the terrain as needed. If you hit sand, blip the TC down to 1 and let er rip. If hit a hill with babyheads, blip the TC to 7 and let er rip. Its really that easy.
    CaseyB and Venturer like this.
  18. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping this was the case!!! Not sure when I’ll be able to test ride again — perhaps at the next rally as the 20’s are all spoken for apparently!
  19. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I have a 1290 SAR, I've put 6k miles on it since July and have been really enjoying it. I did the Rawhyde intro course on it and Base Camp Alpha. I've been eyeing a 790 ADVR for a while and have my name down for one of the 2020s that come in. My biggest concern with the SAR is picking it up if I drop it which I haven't yet. The 790 seems to be a good platform that would allow me to explore some more technical terrain without fear of being unable to pick up my ridiculous bike (which I love btw).
    vgreno2000 likes this.
  20. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was the main reason I went from a 1290 SAR to a 790r. I did drop my 1290 and was barely able to pick it up and really felt like I was going to hurt my back. And yes that was using the right technique. 790 is much much easier to pick up.
    EvilSteve likes this.