Who went 1290 to 790? Talk to me.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Roadhawg011, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can pick the 1290 up fairly easily. I do it forwards though using the handlebar fully “open” for more leverage. I cannot do it the backwards way the GS guys do.

I just dont like dropping it though. But I guess when you push your limits on a big bike, that’s inevitable. Thank Buddha these bikes are built like tanks!!!
    I’ll try upload a vid of a drop and pick up.
    braaap!, NextAdventre and EvilSteve like this.
  2. toyboy

toyboy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought i would offer some insight if i may.
    Bought the 790 R and very impressed with it. Was trying to adapt a BMW Urban GS to more off road duty but said the heck with it after a few mods and traded it in on a minty 17 1290 SAR. So i now have both 790 and the 1290. Biggest issue to date of the SAR is the height. With 29" inseam, it is a challenge. Nobody makes a low seat for it so will have improvise and make my own or have one done. I have the seat concepts new low on the 790 and that did the trick.

Concur with all, 790 noticeably lighter, low center of gravity, very capable off road and a pleasure to ride. Not sure I would say cheaper feeling but engine is louder and def has more engine noise with stock pipe. Most all the same can be said about the 1290 (but not lighter or as nimble or as noisy eng wise ) but with super nice features the 790 lacks and the power that would turn Mother Teresa into an addict.

Not sure what i am going to do. I may have suspension lowered on 1290 as I do not need all of the off road capability it has. That being said, lowered it would almost be too much "like" the 790 to bother...or would it? Not sure what to think. LOVE everything about the the 1290, especially the fuel gauge. Its, well,..normal. The 790 one REALLY sucks. Rode it home from TN to PA and found myself stopping too often for fuel, then I almost ran out. Besides showing only from a 1/2 or less, below 2/3rd of a tank, it flashes empty after getting it off the side stand. I have to turn key off and restart while riding for it to read accurately and stop flashing. It a shame. I pray they come up with a software update and get rid of that crap. What the hell were they thinking?
    Will have to spend some more time on both and maybe even do some back to back riding to compare best. Will post more as soon as I get an opportunity to do that if interested.
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Are you getting between 4-500kms to a tank? If not I'd check that both petcocks are open..
  4. toyboy

Oddometer:
    They are, thx. Fuel mileage is ok. I miscalculated the amount of fuel remaining once below the half mark not being used to quantity indicator. Was still sorting things out when on the maiden voyage so to speak. Cheers
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how much lower is the seat concepts seat ? Can you flat foot both feet or just one?
  6. toyboy

Oddometer:
    I am just about on the balls of my feet both down. I need to check sag and I may slide forks up just a tad. It is totally livable to me with the SC seat.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  7. mlbraptor

mlbraptor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious as well.
  8. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Folks.

Seems 790 R's are like hens teeth here at the moment, with new bikes only coming in around Feb....Probably at higher pricing, and with a lower trade in price on my bike....I might not really be able to go for it. But I'll see.
    In the meantime I've been trying to practice a bunch on the 1290 and get the balls to throw it around a bit more and become a better rider. That's going to end soon though as I have a 90% tar trip coming up so I'll put the Trail Attack tyres back on and just ride tar for a while.

I'm tempted to hold out for the Norden 901 actually.
  9. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve taken a demo ride on the S at Barber and at a local dealer and felt it was fine for me (could put just barely both boots on my toes on ground kind of as you describe) but haven’t had a chance to test or sit on a R. I’m thinking that if can be comfortable on the S then an R with a low seat should be OK too. Waiting for my dealer to get one in so I can at least sit on it before committing.
  10. toyboy

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it work for you too. Only opinion or comment i can make on S versus R is that there were 2 discriminators for me in deciding i had to have an R. One was the 48mm forks and the second was the Rally mode. Just found out that the S can have the Rally down load installed. 48mm forks certainly better than the 43 but I really think it depends on how you are going to use it. If you are a serious off road single track minded in riding, the R would be best but if not doing that, the S may be the way to go. I just recently seen an S for 10,850, a demo bike with Cruise no less. That is down right cheap and if i had to do it over again, i think I would be owning this S I found.
  11. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Yes there are certainly some de
    i think I saw that one in NC too (which is where I live) but to me the $1000 more is worth it if as long as I can feel comfortable with the height - so I’m waiting for my local dealer to get one in. If not I’ll likely end up with an S model and I suspect there may be some really good deals on those 19 S models that are sitting at dealers once it gets colder and everyone has 2020 models in stock :-)
  12. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    more like $4000 more for a new R over that used S. That S really is a good deal if its in like new condition.
    toyboy likes this.
  13. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the hot move is:

1. buy an S as cheap as possible
    2. buy the Explorer PRO forks/shock on the side
    3. BOOM, working man's Rally

And dealers will likely cut you a sharp deal on the PRO suspension as they'll be trying to get ANYONE to buy an S
    Vectored2adv, toyboy and ZiggyInNc like this.
  14. ZiggyInNc

Oddometer:
    Except that is $4-5k more plus installation...
  15. toyboy

Oddometer:
    The S appears to be a new demo unit with 850 miles on the clock with Cruise installed which is 300 (84 retail for switch plus 225 for software download) minus the install, another 100 plus so a good savings. Plus the warranty should start when you bought it plus it is Austrian made at this point. S Models will come down in price, lots out there but dang, this is a really good deal and one could ride it NOW... We are not getting any younger. Yes, i am all about instant gratification :jack.....
  16. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the warranty starts when the bike is "unlocked".
  17. toyboy

Oddometer:
    Oops, that's right. I stand corrected!
  18. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    is it tho?

a buddy just got 1500 off a S, then Explorer PRO front/rear at dealer cost (since they trying to get rid of an S).

I'm not good at math, but he spent $1000 more than a R, and nearly has a Rally......

because, math.
    Vectored2adv and ZiggyInNc like this.
  19. toyboy

Oddometer:
    Good point if you start throwing a bunch of mods at it but I doubt it is a necessary upgrade for most and I would not opt for all things being equal. Here again it goes back to how one intends to ride it,
    ZiggyInNc likes this.