1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Who went 1290 to 790? Talk to me.

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Roadhawg011, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is "warp" speed? I am coming from an S1000XR and while I rarely use all that insanity... I do have occasion to be north of the ton for a while when conditions warrant being somewhere else in a hurry. Can this bike cruise slab at that kind of pace? I am planning a 10 day loop from PA to Glacier and back with some "fast forward" opportunities (like all of Kansas). Obviously, I don't expect anything close to the S1000 power or grace - just hopefully a comfortable 95-100mph without being totally WOT the whole time or pogoing around on the forks in the wind.

*edit* I can't actually find any performance numbers for acceleration or reasonable top cruising speeds on the googles - it's all just clickbait results taking me to another list of rake/trail and displacement specs.
  2. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the bay area, I notice my usual freeway speed is 88 mph. I've had it up north and doing a long stint at 95++ :augie on roads where it was safe to wick it up.
    Scourge likes this.
  3. OhDuh

OhDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3.6 seconds 0-100 km/h and around 215 km/h top speed.
    Wobbling depends hugely on your tyres and how the weighting was done. Also the handlebar position seems to have quite a bit impact on high speed stability.

Anyway the heavy buffeting between 130-160 km/h makes me drive faster or slower than that.
  4. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also noticed quite a lot of buffeting on the highway. The Stock R screen was raised pretty high, I figure it might be better in it's lower setting?
  5. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    For me its better in the low position @ 5ft 9
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gives cleaner air to the helmet at speed in low position for me as well. In the high position the buffeting at speed was tiring.
  7. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why am I such an indecisive little bitch?

I've done the "Fuck it, I'm gonna get a 790." decision in my mind like 10 times now, and each time I start doubting it and go back to "You idiot, the 1290 is the best bike in the world, just keep it!".

Why am I like dis?

(2 people are looking at my 1290 on Saturday morning. Im also meeting them at a dealer so hopefully I can organise a decent long 790 test ride. I need to bang it down some dirt to really know I think.)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Precisely! You DO need to bang it down some dirt to really know. Because after that you'll drive back and slap a deposit down clear of conscience, and powerful in your resolve.