Who will be the GS Giant?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Visian, May 4, 2011.

1. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    great shot! :clap

these rides will be right close to camp, and there are a variety of different levels of difficulty available.

Registration for the GS Giant Events is now open. You can choose to do any or all events:

Adventure Detours - July 10-20 as you ride to the rally

GS Gypsy Tour - July 17-19

Day Rides, July 21-23, both hard and easy, led and self-guided

Track Competition - July 22 at 3pm

Open Track riding - July 23

These events are open to all riders, on all marques. You don't need to be a member of the BMW MOA, but you do need to register for the rally.

All events are free, except the Gypsy Tour, which provides 3 nights camping, 3 dinners, three breakfasts, free beer and world-class riding.

:thumb

2. Visian

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Registration for the GS Giant Events is now open. You can choose to do any or all events:

Adventure Detours - July 10-20 as you ride to the rally

GS Gypsy Tour - July 17-19

Day Rides, July 21-23, both hard and easy, led and self-guided

Track Competition - July 22 at 3pm

Open Track riding - July 23

These events are open to all riders, on all marques. You don't need to be a member of the BMW MOA, but you do need to register for the rally.
  3. clubmud

clubmud Yep

Oddometer:
    I can't sleep already.....

:D

Anybody headed out there from central Ohio?
  4. Visian

Oddometer:
    If you're riding to the BMW MOA rally from the PNW, you might be slabbing on I-90.

Take a break and get out into beautiful and remote country... see if you can find Kit Carson, and score some GS BS points for eating the best burger ever at Matt's Diner.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/479986/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just do Warloop Rd on the TAT with the GS and a new dimension of off road riding will be revealed.....:lol3
  6. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go Get'em Oscar, we will be cheering/pulling for you ! We will be in Haida Gwaii :D

s/g , pagosa
  7. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    Warloop Rd ! Thats even too hard for a twelve year old on thumper. :deal:lol3
  8. Visian

Oddometer:
    can i do that in my whale foreskin adventure suit with my fully-loaded adventure bags without spilling my latte? :deal

hope you ride up for the rally, Oscar, it'd be great to see you.

9. Visian

Oddometer:
    this is actually the relatively easy part of the hard ride... we'll be riding some coal country that requires special permission.

The ride will be Friday, July 22, leaving the rally site at 8am-ish.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AeYFn_Bmrnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Choosing routes for the Gypsy Tour's Tuesday ride from Marienville (Forest Lodge) to Stillwater (Whispering Pines) is fun. Here I am on a small part of the "less paved" route. Of course, there'll be the "least paved" and the "most paved" routes as well.

Signs say this stream closed the road. If so, at least traffic won't be a problem! :D

Fred

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"></object><object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGxiUiTUFLk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
  11. Visian

Oddometer:
    you registered yet?

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jMkPz00JnZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

go FredRyder :thumb

12. rastawheel

rastawheel Pittsburgh, PA

Oddometer:
    Steel City. Single track and No-trail heaven.
    Sounds like a great ride and the roads are looking good. I just hope I can get out of work for the week to do the ride from Marienville.
  13. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did I read somewhere that there's a GS ride on Friday at the rally?:ear

Edit:
    Maybe if I looked a couple of posts higher in this thread!!
  14. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    Yes, besides the Gypsie tour there are three GS Rides during the rally a self guided beginner route featuring the areas covered bridges. A self guided intermediate ride featuring a railroad bed and some gameland roads north of the rally..... by rally time I hope these two can be lead for the group ride crowd. We need a volunteer(s). :deal

Friday is the Advanced GS ride lead by BMW Performance Center. The destination is Hermy's BMW in Port Clinton but before that is the coal region, an abandoned railroad featuring two tunnels, one is very dark thanks to soot from 1800 era trains and the other one is partially flooded. There is plenty of dirt, mountains , fire roads to conqour and twisty paved roads on the return. Due to the nature of this route the enrollment is limited. This can't be self guided due to private property access.
  15. Visian

Oddometer:
    How many folks would be interested in renting a small dirt bike during the rally?

A good friend and fellow inmate, Lt. Dan, runs a rental business in Tennessee called GSM Motorent, and I am trying to twist his arm to bring some bikes for folks that may not ride a dual-sport bike. (or, ahem, don't want to scratch up their shiny adventure bikes....)

These will be 250cc-ish 4-stroke japanese dirt bikes, very easy to handle and fun to ride.

If we can generate enough interest, Dan will haul his bikes so that you can ride in the GS Giant competition on Friday, or in the open track session on Saturday.

And he'll also make them available for the MSF Dirt Bike Classes that will available earlier in the week ahead of the rally (look for more info on this shortly)

Please chime in at let Dan know you'll rent a bike.

and oh, for those who don't know him, Lt. Dan is a big dog in his own right and can flat ride them big twins we all know and love..... you will see him in the competition, for sure. :nod

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jIBnOPBP4Xw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Nice looking trail. It's hard to see the inclines and declivities with the camera, but if you watch the bike speed it looks like there are some good challenges in there. :evil

My wife is going to the rally with me as a pillion rider. I don't think it would be very nice of me to take her trail riding. :cry
  17. Visian

Oddometer:
    yeah, this is some single track down in LtDan's neck of the woods.

ride the Gypsy Tour with her... in addition to great food and camping (or rooms for those who bring hair dryers) we have some excellent gravel road routes planned that are great for two-up adventures. :nod

[​IMG]

18. Visian

Oddometer:
    OK, you wallflowers... you think you have to be the biggest dog at the track to win the prizes or even not kill yourself doing this?

The GS Giant has something for every level of skill and motorcycle.

Easier stuff

- Adventure Detours and Stop-ins - FREE
    - The Gypsy Tour - 3 nights camping, 3 dinners, 3 breakfasts and free beer - $100
    - The Family Farm - get your dirt legs, FREE
    - MSF Dirt Bike Training - by the Dirt Farm - $125
    - BMW Performance Center taste of training - FREE
    - BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde - $1100-ish
    - Rental dirt bikes (with sufficient interest) - CHEAP!
    - Day rides - FREE

... and the "easy" loop on the GS Giant Track during the competition.

Tougher Stuff
    - Hero loops on the Adventure Detours - FREE
    - The BMW Performance Center/Hermy's BMW Big Dog Adventure - FREE
    - The GS Giant Competition - medium and hard loops - FREE

All brands and types of bikes are welcome, we'll adjust scoring to make it an even-up competition between Heavy, Medium and Light bikes.

The best rider in the GS Giant track competition does not necessarily win the title.
    This is a point based competition. First and foremost, it is designed to be fun for novice and experienced riders. You will see Puppy, Intermediate, and Big Dog classes on the track riding light, intermediate, and heavy bikes. In addition, there are PLENTY of other point earning opportunities including:
    • Adventure Detours
    • Gypsy Tour
    • Stop In's
    • GS BS opportunities
    • BS Shout Out opportunities
    • Volunteering
    • Posting on the forum(s) and Face Book
    • 4-Corners Ride
    • Participating in training opportunities

The winner of the bike is going to be the best all-around adventure rider, not necessarily the biggest dog on the track.

And... for the biggest dog on the track, there is great set of Arai, Klim, and Sidi gear in your size, waiting for you.

Thanks to our sponsors Twisted Throttle and RevZilla for making this all possible. :thumb

[​IMG]
  19. Visian

Oddometer:
    On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday prior to the rally, Dylan Lane of The Dirt Farm will be providing training based on the MSF Dirt Bike curriculum as part of the GS Giant event.

These will be a day long course, held in the grass parking lot at the Rally site, and the fee is an extremely reasonable $125. You provide your own bike.

If we can get enough interest, Dan Dickey of GSM Motorent will bring small, light off-road bikes to rent, should you not be 100% comfortable on your heavier bike yet.

Yeah, it's a little short notice, but this is a great opportunity and we're hoping to generate enough interest to bring this all about.

Please contact Dylan at his web site link above, and Dan at his.

And thanks to Dylan and Dan for making the effort to help out our less experienced riders. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    Looking good, Ian. You're putting a lot of effort into this thing.

:clap