Who will be the GS Giant?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Visian, May 4, 2011.

1. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    Dylan is known in the international community, in the above photo is Callum MacDonald from Scotland and Miquel Silvestre from Spain receiving instruction before they further their journeys across the Americas and beyond. The MSF Dirt Bike School is a great alternative towards costly rider education and skills learned will make you a smoother traveler and give you confidence to go beyond your own horizon.

Thank you Dan for supporting this offering and since Dylan teaches in other locations there maybe future opportunities for you both as well as for our global community.

Shortly after the above photo was taken Miquel was traveling in the remote "Stans", then Iraq, through the Middle East and recently in Libya. The Dirt School doesn't offer NATO Fly-over avoidance but it will give you the confidance to have an Israeli soldier and a member of Hamas ride pillion with you the same day.......because dangerous people want to ride too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

................... We ┬┤ll meet in Jerusalem in few days. We were talking at night about life (something very usual among travellers, especial people) and when he asked me if I miss home I said my home is now me and my plugs. I travel with very little luggage. 10 kg is what I need because the most heavy staff you can see on the bike are tools and camping equipment. But I have few important devices to charge everyday: laptop, mobil phone, Ipod and camera. And few important routines to keep: filling my termo at night with hot water, running in the morning for 30 minutes, drink some beers at night while writing these mails and find a socket for my plugs. If I find the socket and keep my routines, I will feel comfortable even in the hardest desert, I will feel at home. Everything else change but not me and my plugs. They are my circumstances. I know now the less you need, the richer you are. After these 15 months travelling I feel the most rich on Earth just with a socket, few beers, petrol and a place to sleep. Keep better today than yesterday................. Miquel Silvestre

[​IMG]

The GS Giant offers an opportunity, the door way is open.............the richer you will be.

[​IMG]
  2. miquel-silvestre

miquel-silvestre horizonblade

Oddometer:
    Thanks Statdwag for your post with my pics. Now I am setting off on a new World Tour. 18 months looking for sockets. Good luck in the BMW Rally for the Gs Giant. I am too small to be a giant, but I love fat bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD4QM4zMY8s

Enjoy the clip about my journey, maybe you have learnt some Mexican recentely to understand it. :rofl
  3. Visian

Visian Look out! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're riding to the rally from the PNW, you might be slabbing on I-90.

Take a break and get out into beautiful and remote country... see if you can find Kit Carson, and score some GS BS points for eating the best burger ever at Matt's Diner.

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/479986/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

4. dahnovka

dahnovka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi everyone, just signed for Gypsy tour yesterday, riding from NYC - is there any fun roads on my way?
    Thanks, see ya all in PA
  5. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Some approach routes will be made available to registrants. If you want to gather nine "BS Points," want to ride through that wide stream ford in the main photo for the Gypsy Tour, cross the wide Susquehanna on the old Millersburg Ferry, and ride down gravel mountain roads to a very old tavern (BS Point) for a burger, there is a suggested route to the Forest Lodge near Marienville that starts at Belvidere, NJ. .gdb and .gpx files will also be available for the routes. If you have the latest Garmin maps and operating software, go for the .gdb files to avoid recalculation issues. No matter, when you get lost, consider it more ADVENTURE.

Fred
  6. Visian

Oddometer:
    in addition to what FredRyder says above, we've got a nice ride from Hancock, NY to the Rally... and another from Troy to Hancock. that would give you two Adventure Detours and then either a quick slab shot across PA to the Gypsy Tour start point, or.... you could ride one of the Gypsy Tour routes backward if you have more time.

This will all be in your Scorebook that you will receive via e-mail within two weeks.

Glad you're coming. :thumb

7. Sunman

Sunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Ian!

Big thumbs up, way up for that Dan Dickey of GSM Motorent! :clap

Ride well,
    Sonny
  8. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I had time to be there physically, I'm there in spirit though! It looks like it's gonna be a BLAST! ENJOY, keep the shiny side up, as much as possible. Here's to a safe, enjoyable time to all!:freaky
  9. dahnovka

dahnovka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!
    Do i want to have knobby tires to do all of that?
  10. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have to ask, the answer is probably YES :D
  11. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    You might "want" to, but a decent set of Tourances will give you plenty of fun. After all, think of those old photos of Harleys in the '50s, scrambling in the woods wearing bias-ply tires with auto tread! Knobbies are great, but optional.

Fred

Or a BSA:
    [​IMG]
    Photo originally posted on advrider years ago.
  12. simon thomas

simon thomas www.2ridetheworld.com

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.
    hope all who attend have a great time....this looks like it will be real fun.
    be safe on those tracks and we look forward to seeing the 'after the event' photos!! :D

cheers:freaky
  13. Statdawg

Oddometer:
    Thank You Simon and Lisa

Your inspiration to run a Welsh GS School program and combine it with local roads laid the foundation to this years rally events. The GS route we scouted is part of it.

[​IMG]

Sorry you couldn't join us, but it seems you are busy inspiring Indonesia and building community there. As with your current following we hope events like this empowers fellow GSer's and dual sport long distant overlanders to do the same in their community. So we all can use the bikes as they were intended, to go beyond the horizon even if its our own limits.

All the best

14. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you say rally are you referring to the Gypsy Tour, The GS Giant or the BMWOA rally? What are the exact dates in question here?
  15. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun...
    Wish i still was a bum on a bike i would come out and help you and Dylan at the farm.

I forgot to post you... tried a 1000 miles of dirt in 24 yesterday... got 925 miles in 20 hrs and had to stop for safety.. i am a bit physically out of shape but still was a blast...

have fun running people through the ropes. :evil
  16. Statdawg

Oddometer:
    Thank You X

I was hoping 2011 would work for you but I know about your other priorities. Please do take advantage of the Moab Challenge due to time and location this fall and by then you will be in shape for it.........best of luck in your favorite sand outside of Oz.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the idea of getting a team up and down those difficult mountain passes that offer loose gravel and slides for the rider. The Thin Air Berghund idea will work well on the advanced GS ride, the other routes are for the overlanders weighted with rally gear.

:deal The GS Giant has training written into the events so hopefully we will all be better GSsers than when we left our drive ways.

We have to see how the expanded GS Events play out but so far we have Ian's leadership, Myrl's trial experience, Tracy's organization and people skills, Dylans, BMW PC and Rawhyde training involvement supported by outstanding sponsors in Twisted Throttle and Revzilla, and there are others stepping forward to help the GS Giant that I should name but I'll take photos instead. :wink:

All the best
  17. Visian

Oddometer:
    The Rally is the BMW MOA rally, Thurday through Sunday, July 21-24 in Bloomsburg, PA.

The GS Giant is a Rally event, it starts on July 10th with Adventure Detours & Stop-ins as you ride to the rally, the GS Gypsy Tour on July 17-19th, Warmup at the Family Farm on July 20, Training & Riding by various suppliers on various dates, the Competition on Friday, July 22, and open track time on Saturday, July 23.

Here is a complete Schedule of Events. Note that some overlap, since everyone won't be interested in doing everything:

SUNDAY, JULY 10 - SATURDAY, JULY 23

Ride Adventure detours and do Stop-ins during your ride to the rally.
    Take day rides around the rally.

SUNDAY, JULY 17 - TUESDAY, JULY 19

The GS Gypsy Tour starts in Marienville, PA and ends in Stillwater, PA

MONDAY, JULY 18 - THURSDAY, JULY 21

MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm (# of days depends on demand, we'll cancel the early days if they don't)

WEDNESDAY, JULY 20

9:00 AM &#8211; 3:00 PM
    Warmup at the Family Farm
    Depart from Rally Site (or Gypsy Tour) to Off Site Location

9:00 AM &#8211; 5:00 PM
    Rider Performance University (RPU): MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm
    Rally Grounds Parking Lot

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    AltRider's 2nd Annual Giant Loop Adventure Ride
    Depart from AltRider booth

THURSDAY, JULY 21

9:00 & 11:00 AM, 1:00, 3:00 and 5:00 PM (every 2 hours)
    RPU: BMW Performance Center Training Demos
    GS Giant Track (Race Track)

RPU : MSF Dirt Bike Training at the Dirt Farm
    Rally Grounds Parking Lot

Day Ride downloads and route sheets - visit the GS Giant area

Evening: Ride-in movies - Race Track infield

FRIDAY, JULY 22

8:00 AM &#8211; 3:00 PM
    BMW Performance Center Adventure Ride
    Depart from GS Giant Track (Race Track)

8:00 AM &#8211; 5:00 PM
    RPU: The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde
    Departs from RawHyde Designated Area

9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
    Tech Inspection for GS Giant Competition
    GS Giant Track (Race Track infield)

3:00 PM &#8211; 6:00 PM
    GS Giant Competition

Evening: Ride-in movies - Race Track infield

SATURDAY, JULY 23

8:00 AM
    GS Tech Inspection Opens for Open Track
    Outside of GS Giant Track

8:00 AM &#8211; 5:00 PM
    The BMW Offroad Academy by RawHyde
    Departs from RawHyde Designated Area

Open Track Riding

Lots o' stuff... get your game on. :clap

18. Newstar

Newstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To all registered Giants,

Yesterday, I set up a distribution list through Google Groups which will be used to communicate important information via email. Only GSG managers have access. This means no one can see your email address, nor can you reply and fill up everyone's inboxes. We are spam free!
    Please check your email to be sure you received the message. Check your spam filters and make the necessary adjustments to be sure you receive all the important info.
    If you have checked and did not receive a message, please PM me with your full name and correct email address.
    Oh...one more thing.....tell your friends that Durty is Purty and there is still time to sign up for all the fun!
  19. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I needed to know. :evil
  20. Visian

Oddometer:
    since you're planning on riding scenic routes, i believe you and MrsFTB would very much enjoy the Gypsy Tour. :nod