Whoa! Just had a significant earthquake!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Baldy, May 13, 2002.

1. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Here in Mt. View, it felt fairly far away but maybe 6. something somewhere. Let's see how good a seismometer my feet are...
  2. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    5.2 near Gilroy (not bad, baldy!) . Apparently really shook up the Compaq Center, however...

-JC
  3. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    That was kinda fun!
  4. 53_tele

53_tele Laid Back

Oddometer:
    Didn't feel it this far over. You folks near the Fault Line always have way more fun than we do here in the Valley. Hang ten! :)
  5. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I felt it and so did my kids (who then spent the next hour and a half bug-eyed and unable to even attempt to sleep since this was their first/biggest quake by far). Nothing fell but we had a bit of wiggling and a really strong thump here in San Jose. My 8 year old was the hardest to calm back down but both are finally asleep.

I let them watch the news reports before sending them back to bed. Fortunately, they missed the meaning of what one seismologist said....essentially that they're not sure if this was the main shock or a foreshock of something bigger.

There's an aftershock warning posted now on the USGS site that lists a 10% chance of a strong aftershock over the next 7 days. They list a 5-10% chance of a stronger quake over the next 7 days. Details at:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/QuakeAddons/nc40133364.afterwarn.html

Anybody living near Gilroy should keep a clean/spare pair of undies handy for the next 7 days... :):

Thwack
  6. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
  7. Arbey Canuck

Arbey Canuck Ageless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was watching the hockey game ... like a good Canadian boy ... and all of a sudden the picture starts to jump around!!! It was the cameras shaking from the quake!!!!

The Sharks miss a great opportunity to send the Avalanche packing!!!!
  8. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Had just gone to bed after a flight on my LT from Portland OR. and was justled rudely out of bed by this one being only a couple miles from the epicenter. It started to feel like it was going to be a big one but thankfully it subsided.
    Mongox:rofl :rofl :rofl
  9. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I was at the Sharks game and didn't even feel it.

-BS
  10. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    The LA times corrected it to a 4.9. What a bunch of pansies. Try 92mph on northbound 210 in Azusa at 2:30pm sometime if you wanna feel shaking.
  11. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't feel it.

I was just setting down my hockey gear while watching the game on TV at Belmont Iceland. I did see a bottle of water quivering, though.

Say, Thwack, was that photo in your avatar taken at Hollister Hills SVRA? Was that you who busted a right bag mount in the mud? That was me on the red R1100GS. :)
  12. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's where my avatar is from. That was my first pass through the wheelie drill and my first ever wheelie (even if it is pretty small).

You were right there when I wiped out, right? Thanks for helping me get my pig, er, bike back upright. That was the first time I'd ever wiped out on a bike and it rattled me a bit.

It was the clutch side bag that snapped off. Man, did that suck. :-)

I dropped it again just before that spot and had to pick it up solo (I waited a minute, but nobody was anywhere near). At least I now know I can pick the beast up solo if I have to (but next time, I'll make sure the side stand is down before I pick it up because reaching over the bike while supporting it part way up sucks). :):

Is the photo at the bottom you doing the wheelie drill? Not a very good picture but I wasn't the photog...

I missed the next dirt clinic...overslept by 3 hours and I hate being late for things like that so I stayed home and pouted. :rofl

Thwack

Attached Files:

13. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thwack - Yep, that's me getting my butt kicked because I wasn't standing on the pegs. :): I don't think I've ever seen the front fork compressed that much... :eek:
    My N-1th trip over that bump was perfect, though. Where did that picture come from? Are there any more?

Remember the general sliding around in the dirt drill, where we would get it sideways a bit, blip the throttle, loose the rear end, and catch it by steering into the skid? That saved my butt in the rain a couple of weeks ago. I was getting onto 101 from 4th street in SJ. It was rainy and getting near crush hour. I misjudged a car's closing speed, so I goosed it a bit ... and lost rear traction. But I did the right thing and kept it upright without too much wiggling. Nobody tailgated me on that trip!
  14. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember the steer-the-skid drill...that was a fun one. I haven't had to use it on the road yet but glad to hear it helped you out. I did try it in my truck recently, but it didn't seem to have the same effect. :rofl

There are a bunch of pictures posted from that dirt clinic. A buddy of mine came to watch and brought a camera. All of the shots are available on my web site, but you have to know the URL's (no fancy web page to get to them all...that'd be way too easy). :):

You can find them by trying all the URL's from:

http://homepage.mac.com/tswihart/.Pictures/dirtclinic/DSCN0470.JPG
    http://homepage.mac.com/tswihart/.Pictures/dirtclinic/DSCN0471.JPG

to

http://homepage.mac.com/tswihart/.Pictures/dirtclinic/DSCN0595.JPG

There are some missing pictures (the photog deleted them in the camera) so don't be surprised if some are missing.

I started a thread after that clinic called, "Take it off or break it off" (in honor of my lost mounting bracket). It probably has a bit more info on the pictures (if you don't want to keep putzing with the URL's.

Somewhere in my email, I have a perl script that will create them all. One of the F650GS riders that was there sent it to me. I can send you that if you want (and if I can find it).

I gave Kari a CD with all the pics on it a couple of weeks after the clinic. The photog said it was fine to do that and to post the pics.

I hadn't caught that you were sitting down on the wheelie drill (oops). One of the pictures from that drill is an F650 rider standing up during a nice wheelie but his knees look fully locked (i.e. landing might be a bit rough). He did get some nice air though.

There's even a picture of Doc dropping one of the big GS's (the one that was brought by Kari's ad-man buddy I think). I figure if Doc dropped it, I shouldn't feel too bad about dropping mine...

Thwack
  15. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

So Thwackster, all you have to do is put an [ img] in front of the url and a [ /img] in back of the url and the photo will show up inline. Omit the spaces after the [

16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Who's this goober and why did he paint his bike all funny?

[​IMG]
  17. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That ain't no wheelie...You wanna see a wheelie?

[​IMG]
  18. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That will make my next picture posting much easier. I usually type out the full href= nonsense. I like your way much better.

This time around, I was trying to give the first and last URL explicitly so Timberwolf could keep editing them to find each picture between DSCN0470.JPG and DSCN0595.JPG without having to suck the URL's out of the images or explicitly post them all.

Course, I should just get unlazy and make a page of thumbnails (especially since homepage.mac.com would do it for me if I tried) but that would take all the sport out of it.

Besides, you can find all sorts of interesting things when you learn to try adding "1" to the name of a cool .jpg file...remind me at an Alice's lunch some day to explain that statement if it doesn't make sense before then. :rofl

Crash's wheelie in the pic you posted is much better than the ones I posted. At least the one of me wheelieing is my first ever and no doubt the photog didn't catch it at its peak. Crash has done many more I'm sure. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

The funny-painted bike is none other than DHP's custom rallye mutatation of an F650 (I thinkt that's what's under that fancy plastic). The camelback he's wearing makes it look like he's wearing an astronaut's suit (looks like an air hose connecting suit to helmet). :):

Thwack
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Did I ever tell you about the wheelie he did down Skyline Blvd in front of Alices? It was at least 1/2 mile long and two gears, all the while displaying the ADVrider salute with his left hand high overhead. Amazing. That cat can ride.

Oh. sounds spendy. Nice bike! :thumb
  20. Timberwoof

Timberwoof Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the URLs, Thwack. I found a few more photos of me. Three with me way in the background and one with my instruments, arms, fuel tank, and visor in the foreground.

Most impressive is the one late in the series of the grey R1150GS that made a perfect two-point landing. It looks like both its suspensions are fully compressed, like a low-rider:

http://homepage.mac.com/tswihart/.Pictures/dirtclinic/DSCN0577.JPG