Whoa! Just had a significant earthquake!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Baldy, May 13, 2002.

1. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds cooler than the vertical wheelie Doc Wong did at the dirt clinic...he overdid it and ended up pushing away from the bike before it came over on him. He wasn't hurt and the bike didn't notice the extra scratches. Clearly, he's done it more than once.

You can read all about the spaceman's spiffy ride on his site:

http://www.dhpmoto.com/

I just checked and maybe it's not a dressed up F650 (or else he didn't dress it up). It's some fancy-schmancy Tourtech rallye replica. It seems to wheelie pretty well since that's what he's doing in all the photos.

If memory serves, he bent the front in a crash and it wasn't riding properly during the dirt clinic that my pictures come from. He had a white F650GS Dakar there as well (OK, somebody has to say it, might as well be me...he has too much money, too much spare time, too many toys, and too much fun.) :rofl

Then again, he probably was jetting around somewhere and totally missed the quake...

Thwack
  2. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah, DHP can see just fine...here's another shot from behind the bike...see the fancy display in the center, it's linked to a camera on the front fender so he can see despite the solid shield...

[​IMG] :rofl

Here's another shot of him wheelieing and studying the view from fender-cam to see where's he's going:

[​IMG]

(DHP - I'm just kidding ya, but really, with that fancy display in the cockpit, it really should be doing something like catching HBO or showing what's on fender-cam or...) :rofl

Thwack
  3. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    My favorite (OK, not counting the one of my first ever wheelie on my first ever attempt) would be the one of Kari's old R80GS-mutant in full flight (both tires in the air):

[​IMG]

Kari's not at the helm on that flight but it is a cool shot of a nice old bike still having fun. I think it's Doc piloting that flight.

Thwack
  4. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anybody could make a heads up display work on a bike, DHP would be first in line to test it. At least we'd all get an unbiased review of what worked and what sucked. :):

I've worked with HUD's before and they're interesting, but if your interface designer is a moron it'll suck worse than a five-dollar hooker on Monday morning...

Thwack
  5. C. Alan

C. Alan Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does any one know when the next dirt clinic will be? I understand that they (i am not even sure who 'they' are) have them in Hollister.
    Thanks,
    --C. Alan
  6. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    'They' is Doc Wong and/or Kari Prager. Doc's is a chiropractor who hosts riding clinics of all sorts all year...and some track days.

Kari is the owner of Cal BMW in Mountain View. The most recent clinic was Kari's based on a modified version of Doc's. Kari's was aimed at (surprise) BMW dual sports. Doc's is aimed at anything you're willing to take in the dirt regardless of size, brand, age, etc.

Doc Wong's schedule of clinics can be found by subscribing to his email list (see http://www.docwong.com/ for details on how to sign up...scroll way down to find the bike links). His page says none are scheduled right now, but if you get on his mailing list, you'll know in advance when the next one will be...

There's usually a lecture part the Friday evening before the clinic where he discusses what he'lll cover, some theory, etc (and you sign a waiver in case you maim yourself). So if you're coming up for one of the clinics, it's probably best to be here Friday afternoon and stay until the clinic's over (you can spend Saturday rimming the Bay Area or something kinky like that).

Thwack