Who's all heading to Hamburg, NY next week for MOA rally ?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by ErikMotoMan, Jul 9, 2016.

1. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    Put my bike on a truck last week, cuz I don't have time to ride both ways. I'll take my sweet time riding back to the west coast, northern route thru UTAH, Colorado etc. I'll buy a beer for any ADV'ers on my way back to SoCal.
    roadchick likes this.
  2. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
  3. gus

gus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will pass on the National this year. I thought about it and since I'm a camper I read in the MOAN that Hamburg gets the majority of its rainfall in June and July and made my decision. I will probably pass on SLC next year too. The middle of July is not the best time to go to some places. I've been through SLC in July heading to other nationals. It's past hot. Through the years going to the national rally's in 100 degree temps I would swear this is the last time. The weather is great in the PNW and was great in the northern mid west in July.
    So I'm riding the Smokies this year. I only have to run the gauntlet about 100 miles to get out of the heat.
    Enjoy, I know you will have a great time. I always do.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  4. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I trailered Vermont to Nebraska last year and rode from there as Barley had just finished his chemo regimen and I thought he would enjoy the ability to sleep in air conditioned comfort. As it turned out neither one of us was comfortable in the truck, and being the adventure dog he was, he insisted on sitting up and checking out the sights the entire trip - so much for letting him sleep! Sad to say my bum is just more comfy on a saddle, and being from Vermont rain is unavoidable so you sort of stop noticing after a while.

Heat is a different animal, though. I'd love to ride Utah, but will wait till after retirement when I can do it in more temperate conditions.

Because Hamburg is just 500 miles from home I'm not taking the full kit this year. No cooking or water purification gear, minimal food. Of course that means I need to repack a few times before finding a new configuration that works. I will take more than the usual amount of dog toys and treats since this is Tulliver's first overnight trip. He's the big unknown, and I plan multiple stops where he can play in lakes and streams along the way. Probably several bribes of ice cream too. We leave Weds morning and will arrive early Thursday afternoon. Paws crossed that he has a fun time!
    ErikMotoMan and roadchick like this.
  5. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer Supporter

Oddometer:
    roadchick likes this.
  6. RIVERD06

RIVERD06 In the woods

Oddometer:
    for what it's worth, we've had a very dry year in NY so far. Hardly any rain and when it has, it passes quickly.
    roadchick likes this.
  7. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Head out Tuesday late. 1200 miles to go.
    roadchick likes this.
  8. roadchick

roadchick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I was going...my daughter is getting married this Oct and my money will be going there...lol...next year is a different story! If not the BMW rally, then definitely a long trip is in order.. :-)
    JimVonBaden and Boondox like this.
  9. gsbob49

gsbob49 older than dirt

Oddometer:
    I'm going. Staying Fri night only. Long term forecast looks dry - if so I'll ride the bike. Leaving early Fri @ 7am from Manchester, Vt. Stay off the hwy as much as possible. Anyone taking a similar route and would like company let me know. Staying at the Aloft (Starwood) at Buffalo airport.

Bob
    roadchick likes this.
  10. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going. Will be my first time attending and have been looking forward to it.

Rain happens, not much you can do about that. If it sucks, then I'll adjust my desire to go next time accordingly. :)
    W9dot and roadchick like this.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to wish I could go. It would be nice to meet a few of you!
    tarheel rider and roadchick like this.
  12. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    At least Wunderlich will be well represented.
  13. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Beer and milkbones is me! This way you won't need to bring food or water purification. In my mind I'm envisioning the TSA agents checking my suitcase with suspicion. I'm asked to explain why my only luggage is a helmet and a box of milkbones.....
    roadchick and Boondox like this.
  14. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Yup, they like my bike a lot. It will be in their booth.
    NOTAGAIN and roadchick like this.
  15. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Ditto. I missed seeing you 2 years ago because we were pressed for time, but one of these days...I'm buying you a beer. Funny thing is I bought your DVD and tools years ago before this ADV thing happened.
    JimVonBaden and roadchick like this.
  16. IdleTime

IdleTime n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving form Charlotte, NC tomorrow morning - O dark thirty. The two of us are getting a little achy so we will grab a motel around Pittsburg then catch 62 for a leisurely ride in on Tuesday. Check in with the volunteer table when we get there. See you there.
  17. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am endurance racing with AER that weekend and am kind of disappointed they fell on the same days. Hamburg is only a couple hours ride for me so it was going to be an easy day trip to find out if it was something I'm really interested in (just joined the MOA in March, never been to any rally). Not disappointed enough to give up a race weekend, mind you but still...
    roadchick likes this.
  18. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Show up Thursday. It's a 4 day rally.
    roadchick likes this.
  19. tarheel rider

tarheel rider Tight Lines

Oddometer:
    Leaving Raleigh in the wee hours on Tuesday. Scheduled lunch with daugher in DC then spending the night near Pittsburgh. Cruise in on Wed. Looking forward to seeing some of you.
    roadchick likes this.
  20. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I was there today. Things are ramping up for the big event. The Pegasus Restaurant a couple hundreds yards away has fast service and great food. Triple Decker Club was very good!
    ErikMotoMan and tarheel rider like this.