Who's doing Sheetiron this year?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the Sheetiron is on May 17th and 18th this year and we can register after April 1st. Last year I rode my TE450, but this year I'm going to ride my 650 Dakar to change it up a little. No need to stop for gas and can carry all my own gear. Of course the pace will be much slower but I think we'll have a few noobs with us this year.
    So who else is going?

Dean
    mootsuno
  2. CNCJake

CNCJake SlaX0r

Oddometer:
    I want to go! I will try to get the other Ukiah 950 boy to go too!:clap Dean, get yer ass back up to Ukiah and lets do some pre-runing!
  3. mootsuno

Oddometer:
    Hey Jake,

We'll be at Cow on Saturday, bring your dirt bike. I'll either be riding my Husky or a TW200 to see how slow I can go everywhere. We'll be at the Westside staging area between 8:30 & 9:00 and plan on checking out some of the jeep trails for a big bike dual sport ride. Right now trails 13, 15, and 20 are looking pretty good for that ride. We'll check out a few more though.
    Let me know if you can make it and bring that quack vet guy with you. :rofl

Dean
    mootsuno
  4. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done it twice, missed last year, but for sure plan on doing it this year.

Fun times and great scenery
  5. CNCJake

CNCJake SlaX0r

Oddometer:
    Dean, you think Cow will be open? I will show up if I can get some tires by then.
  6. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Cow Mountain opened a week or so ago, lots of folks from the North Bay MC up there working/scouting in advance of the Sawmill Enduro 4/19-20.
    Regular enduro Saturday 4/19, Family (easy routes) enduro on Sunday 4/20.
  7. mootsuno

Oddometer:
    Hey skwidd,

Cow did open and we rode up there on Presidents Day. A little snow here and there and some mud w/ deep puddles but otherwise great conditions.
    After the storm last weekend it's closed again, but I'm pretty sure it'll be open by Saturday. With no rain in the forecast it should dry out.

Dean
    mootsuno
  8. skwidd

Oddometer:

Hopefully not too many trees down with this last storm.

I'm in for the Sheetiron, rooms already booked.
  9. ShastaKLR

ShastaKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Redding here...klr...definetly gonna do my first one this year...pre ride? Im down..let me know...thanks, Matt
  10. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    What exactly is this? I know it’s Dual Sport but are there check points, is it timed or do you just ride?
  11. skwidd

Oddometer:
    You just ride at your own pace, following the provided route sheet.
    They typically have you check in at the Ukiah Honda shop along the way, and you pick up your gear/clothes bag at the harbor center in Ft. Bragg.
    Throw your bag back in the trailer Sunday morning and it will be back at the Stonyford rodeo grounds when you get back there Sunday afternoon.
  12. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    So, it is just a fun group ride to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeType>Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName>Brag</st1:placeName></st1:place> and back. 300 miles total, over 2 days.
    Think it would be more fun on my GS or my XR400R? The GS is o.K. for dirt roads but… There are a lot of fun trails around Stoneyford and <st1:place><st1:placeType>Lake</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName>Pillsbury</st1:placeName></st1:place>.
  13. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinkin' about doing it.
  14. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming you mean a "big" GS (not F650 GS), ride the XR400. Hell, ride the XR400 either way. Needs to have a 100-mile range though.

The days are kind of long, so you may not have time to ride any trails around Pillsbury, but the "hard" route def. takes you through some of the more fun stuff near Stonyford.

I'm riding my Dakar this year with mootsuno. Rode my TE250 last year, but was too n00b-like to really enjoy the Stonyford-area stuff. Even the easy route should be some challenge on the Dakar. That last descent back into Stonyford is a bit tough at the end of a long weekend -- all those off-camber rubble-strewn turns. Keeps you awake!
  15. mootsuno

Oddometer:
    Mudcat,

DaveBro mentioned the hard route, nobody brought up earlier there are two routes. The hard route is more for street legal dirt bikes and is not very tough on those. Although some people (like Jean-Luc) ride their 950 adventures. That really is an adventure watching those things negotiate through there. The easy route is for the bigger bikes and for riders looking for a more relaxed ride, it's still a work out covering that much mileage (about 320 miles last year) but I think the worst thing is putting up with all the dust.
    If you ride the GS you're welcome to ride with us, if you ride the XR take the hard route you'll have more fun!

Dean
    mootsuno
  16. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Takes two days to do the whole thing, I assume we camp the first night? I don't have a truck, and would have to haul camping gear on the bike, but do I offload it someplace so I don't have to carry all that stuff on the actual ride? Like onto a support truck or something? I'd like to keep stuff on the bike to a minimum during the actual 300.
  17. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on entering with the rest of the noob faction. I'll probably be in over my head on a 950, but it's the only thing I have, so be it. I'm looking forward to it!! :D

Greg
  18. skwidd

Oddometer:
    Somehow or some way you get to the rodeo grounds in Stonyford early Saturday morning, you can camp there Friday or arrive that morning.
    Lots of folks from all over will be trucking to that location and may be able to help with gear or bike transport.
    You should arrange to camp or hotel it in Ft. Bragg Saturday night.
    I'm a wuss, so I arrange hotel rooms or a house over there for our group.
    You throw your bag in the trailer Saturday when you are ready to leave, that trailer will be in Ft. Bragg Saturday evening for you to go pick up your bag and hit your crash spot for the night.
  19. skwidd

Oddometer:
  20. mendovet

mendovet nOOble

Oddometer:
    I will most likely just fill the boxes on the 9Fiddy with waters and gatorades and ride 1/2 mile from my house to Low Gap and just hand them out as all you thirsty dust eating travelers pass by in a HUGE group... :1drink

don't worry Jake, I will throw in a beer for you :lol3