1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's doing Sheetiron this year?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dean. I like riding my R1200GS but it is not a dirt bike. I do dirt roads with it and I take it easy when I do.
    Sounds like this would be more fun on the XR and my brother wants to ride his 450EXC. He asked earlier this month if I wanted to go with him, he has ridden it before. I told him I didn’t think so but I am changing my mind.
  2. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    If you camp Friday night at the fair grounds, you can just leave your gear there in someones truck. They only really want to take a minimum of stuff for each person, (something like 4 to 500 riders I think. So unless you need your camping gear in Fort Bragg, leave it at the grounds and pick it up at the end. Hoteling in Fort Bragg is the way to go.
  3. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    This is not a "big bike ride". Take the small bike, you wil have Waaaaaaaaay more fun.
  4. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Yeah. My GS is a nice ride but I think I’d be frustrated riding it in something like this.
  5. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Yea, and late for dinner.
  6. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinkin' about not doing it. I don't think my skills are up to the task.
  7. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Year before last we took a Gold Wing rider with 20 minutes of dirt experience on a KLR, sticking to the easy route and letting him ride his own pace he had fun and did just fine.

Do it.
  8. stevets

stevets Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I am going on a 640 - did it last year & it was a blast - looking forward to it - there were riders on all types of bikes - hard way has some tougher sections, but nothing really bad - it is just a lot of fun and you get to see places that you would normally miss - I will be there Firday nite
  9. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can do it, Michael. Nobody has mentioned that in addition to a "hard way" and an "easy way" (actually there are multiple places where you can choose between the two), there are also "bailout" options to significantly shorten the route and/or skip harder sections. For example, in our group last year most of the group took the last bailout, skipping the final descent into Stonyford. So you have a lot of choices, and you'll have a lot of company if you choose to shorten the ride. And even if you ride the entire "easy" route, I don't think any of it is harder than that ride we did last year (through Cow Mountain, etc.) -- it's just longer (more dirt). So you should go.
  10. luckett

luckett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing it this year for the first time and I'm really looking forward to it! I'll probably be riding a DR650. If there is a prerun happening, I'm interested it joining.
  11. Tazman

Tazman Tazmanian devil

Oddometer:
    I have been considering this.

What bike is everyone riding for this??

thanks.

steve
  12. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not likely. I'm having a hard time finding a Forest Service approved can for my (oversize) Akro header. No one can tell me whether the quiet core can for the 640 Adventure is A)quiet enough, and B) with spark arrestor.
    Apperently there isn't a KTM dealer in this county who is interested in selling one, as none that I've contacted has ever made the effort to find out.:splat
  13. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about stealing Luke's XR? :evil
  14. CNCJake

CNCJake SlaX0r

Oddometer:
    Dude! You need to ride this. Besides, I will have plenty of beer in my camelback!:freaky
  15. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    He's welcome to it, but it'll be in Portland. It might be easier to borrow my 640's exhaust ...... or stick some TKCs on the RT.
  16. twisty sister

twisty sister CRACK pot

Oddometer:
    Gonna try this year..had cast(s) on hand(s) last 2 years!
  17. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    I really wouldn't worry about it too much. They talk a mean game on the web page about noise and safety compliance. But once at the event, they are pretty lax. They just need to show some vigilance on line, (its mostly show) but the Oakland MC guys ride just about anything. They ride straight up dirt bikes with fake lights and plates.
  18. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I head something about that Portland thing...:cry

I know it's the best thing for you two, but I'll never find someone else around here who's schedule is as flexible as yours.:lol3
  19. mendovet

mendovet nOOble

Oddometer:
    Ok, I will go if we can share your camelback. Seriously, I really want to go this year and two oversized individuals on two oversized scoots from Ukiah would be great!! Besides, this freelancing freelancer job of mine really ties in nicely to attending rides like this :evil
  20. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    In.