Who's doing Sheetiron this year?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 26, 2008.

1. XCELR8

XCELR8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Who cares Dude, your in a car.:dunno Its not even deep this year.
  3. XCELR8

XCELR8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no need to be a prick. :asshat
  4. KTMantis

KTMantis Crashmaster G

Oddometer:
    Was a great time!
    Hot and dusty with a little "complication" thrown in...

Took a little biff on Sunday right before the 1st gas stop and slid out on gravel in a left hand uphill switchback (gotta a little too agressive on the throttle :evil )
    Should have been a non issue, except:
    1 - Broken shift lever
    2 - dislocated left shoulder (oops) :huh

Another rider helped me get the bike back upright and I did a slow ride down the mountain to the gas stop. Reset the shoulder and finished the rest of the day :freaky . Fortunately my boots have a little lip on the sole and was able to shift by brushing the remaining shifter nub with the edge of my boot.

Also, got to meet Capt. Ron and his gang. I enjoyed pizza and beer and great conversation with them on Sat night in Fort Bragg. Also enjoyed riding part of the day on Saturday with Creech and his gang...

Fun times (now where is my ibuprofen?!?):D
  5. Creech

Creech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, No problem! You guys gave me a chance to see what taking my 950 ADV would have been like. I think I'll stick to my XR650r... :)

6. Superhunk

Superhunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    George,
    Sorry to hear about your gettoff. I'm Jason, Ron's brother. Nice to meet you and have some pizza and beer. :freaky

Our Sunday was pretty uneventful. Too bad everyone had to bail out because of snow. That pavement section really sucked.

Hope your shoulder is ok.
  7. KTMantis

KTMantis Crashmaster G

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jason!

The pizza and beer hit the spot. My shoulder is sore but fine... I couldn't believe that I managed to finish the rest of the Sunday route with it, but I was inspired by ADV rider, so I knew I had to finish the remainder of the ride no matter what! That being said, I was Dang happy when I pulled into Stonyford and knew I had made it thru to the end.
  8. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on how you look at it, I guess. If you were disappointed because it replaced a dirt section you wanted to ride, then I understand that.

On the other hand, it was great pavement going through some awfully pretty country. I enjoyed it for that.
  9. squid vicious

squid vicious weak sauce

Oddometer:
    c'mon dude, be cool. He was kind enough to drive all the way up to recover my bike after they air lifted me out of there. That scooby went through some pretty impressive terrain for a car.
  10. MrEndo

MrEndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone send me the GPS tracks for saturday going the easy ways? My GPS didnt get turned on for the first part of that day. .gpx format seems to go well with my Garmin software and Google Maps.
  11. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hi Super Suz,

Thanks so much to you and everyone else in the OAKLAND MOTORCYCLE CLUB for all the time and effort that went in to making this year's Sheetiron such a wonderful experience for our group ... we are definately going to try to be involved in volunteering for the '09 Sheetiron! Thanks especially for the photos & the photo pins ... I have a stack of them now, and they are fun to look at as the years go by ... Please pass our "thank you" along to the rest of the OMC!

Thanks,
    SFMCjohn
  12. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb

13. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, the ride reports are coming in like molasses in January, so you're forcing me to make my own lame contribution. I did my usual spotty job of taking photos, but I'll share what I have.

Dean (mootsuno) and I rode up from Sonoma County in 100F+ temperatures. We hit some traffic getting up to Santa Rosa, but once we got to Mark West Springs it was smooth sailing: a fine ride over 29, through Middletown and Clearlake and finally to 20 and Bear Valley Road.
    [​IMG]

A ways up BV Road we ran into Megan (that's Miss Adventure to you) and larryboy. They had kissed the guardrail and damaged the bike. Worse, Megan was hurt, but she could still muster a smile for the paparazzi.

[​IMG]

They were going to try to limp into Stonyford. We rode with them for a few miles, then rode ahead, promising to send someone out for them if too much time passed. I think we failed.

We arrived in Stonyford...
    [​IMG]

...and set up camp. I think Dean is trying to play toreador, but the tent is not cooperating.
    [​IMG]

We met up with Jim (spafxer) at camp too. He had trailered his 950 from Ventura County and stayed in Petaluma the night before. This is the look of a man who has just travelled in air-conditioned comfort for the last few hours. Bastard.
    [​IMG]

Others in our party: Greg (gweaver), Chris (chris666), nixels (an action shot doing what he does best) and Dean.
    [​IMG]

Evening light on the hills over our little gathering.
    [​IMG]

Morning and we're getting the bikes ready to saddle up. That's my trust steed.
    [​IMG]

The plan was to do the "easy route". We had some relative n00bs with us, and all of us except for Chris were on big bikes, so we weren't looking for anything too hard. :D However, we chose to ignore the "snow closure" sign, and took the normal route to where - surprise! - we were stopped by snow (well, the ranger, actually).
    [​IMG]

The ranger was a very helpful guy. He explained to us that we now had to follow the "hard route" to get back to the main route. He didn't know what to make of Jim's side cases, however.
    [​IMG]

Chris, on a DRZ400, was not worried.
    [​IMG]

Joe (joefromsf) was trying to find a way out of there.
    [​IMG]

We headed down a jeep road, which was no problem. Then we came to the steep, through-the-trees, rutted singletrack known as Trail 6.

[Photo Record Missing]

We all got down OK - eventually - but for the new guys on big bikes, there was some coaching, and coaxing of the bikes up off the ground and back on the trail. Considering the circumstances, and the fact that we had totally betrayed their trust by taking them on something much harder than we said we would :D, Nicky and Greg did an excellent job! :clap

That's all I have for Saturday. After the Trail 6 adventure it was smooth sailing to Pillsbury and Ukiah. By the time we got to Ukiah, the organizers were discouraging us from doing the planned Low Gap Road (dirt) and recommended we do Orr Springs Rd instead (paved). I don't think we missed anything - Orr Springs and Comptche-Ukiah Road were terrific.

We spent a pleasant evening at the North Coast Brewery.

[Photo Record Missing]

Next day the group headed up Sherwood Rd. It was a little dustier than last year, but still a bunch of fun. Nicky laid the big 'Fant down in one muddy rut, then a couple other guys (not in our elite group) did the same thing. Nicky is glad he's not the only one.
    [​IMG]

This guy came in kinda hot and laid it down in front of us.
    [​IMG]

After Sherwood Rd, Nicky and Greg decided they'd had enough fun and would ride the pavement back to Stonyford. That left six of us - me, Dean, Joe, Chris, Jim and Willem (who managed to avoid all of my pics).

We stopped at the bridge in Dos Rios to fix Joe's shifter, which had probably weakened in a fall on Sherwood Rd.
    [​IMG]

The Two Rivers.
    [​IMG]

Jim in front of the most wishy-washy No Trespassing sign I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

And that's the end of my photos. We basically blasted over the Covelo-to-Stonyford section, enjoying cooler temperatures, sunny skies and some snow and mud. Chris was taking pics, so I hope he'll post.

Thanks for all the fun times, guys!
  14. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    Living vicariously through your trip reports. :lurk

Anything you'd do differently next year? Not crashing doesn't count! :D

Did anyone leave their stuff at Stonyford over the weekend or did you schlep it all the way with you? Any fall down from heat exhaustion? So many questions.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Less crashing does count.

I always leave my stuff at Stonyford, zip up the tent and ride away. Motel in Fort Bragg is the only way to go, so why bother packing all that stuff with you.
  16. chrisBTSC

chrisBTSC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to tell my story... maybe I'll have time tonight... I got a little:eek1 dehydrated Saturday.:wink:
  17. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    This guy didn't think the singletrack after the snow closure was tight enough, he found a more challenging route.

[​IMG]
  18. skwidd

Oddometer:
  19. skwidd

Oddometer:
    :eek1

[​IMG]
  20. skwidd

Oddometer: