1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Who's doing Sheetiron this year?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 26, 2008.

1. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:

WTF? NO LINKAGE???
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    Carrizo Plains in say September?
  4. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

:nono Lost Coast 2-day in September.
  5. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Now you're talkin'...
  6. vrago

vrago Plays with dirt

Oddometer:
    Whats the deal on Low Gap? It's a gravel road with houses on it. What am I missing? Why did they divert the big bikes?
  7. JaggGS

JaggGS Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Mainly it was time. I don't think the check person at Ukiah Motor Sports was picking on big bikes. It should have been all bikes after about 3 or 3:30 PM should have been advised to use Oro Springs Rd. The sweeper leave at that time to do Low Gap and Navaro Ridge Rd. As it is some of the last OMC sweepers got in to Fort Bragg at 8 PM along with the last riders.
  8. KTMantis

KTMantis Crashmaster G

Oddometer:
    Had to be time (late in the day)... I saw several KTM 950s and at least one big GS on Low Gap Rd mid-afternoon.
  9. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was informed that the sweeper would leave Ukiah at 3:30pm. I didn't get out until about 3:50 and I did Low Gap Rd. It was not technical and big bikes would have been fine (me on KLR). I started the day at Ukiah (on dirt at least) so I was fresh. I didn't stop at any of the convenient stopping places and it was still getting pretty late when I arrived (6:15pm).
  10. dura-ace

dura-ace east bay moto scum

Oddometer:
    Navaro ridge late in the afternoon was one of the really fun sections that weekend !!! Was a bit of a shock to hit a fog bank on hw 1 after baking in the heat all day!!
  11. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aargh, I'm regretting missing that. It was a hoot last year. Might be a good weekend ride to do Navarro Ridge and Sherwood Rd again. :evil
  12. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:

IN! :clap :clap :clap
  13. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I had the experience of riding the Sheetiron this year, but I don't think I will do it again.

For a long time now I have had a strong preference to ride either alone or with a small group of trusted riders. On the Sheetiron this year I rode with 499 riders and many of them were riding like it was a race.

I almost got wasted when one guy on a KTM made a totally unnecessary pass mid-corner when there was a white SUV approaching from the other direction. He squirted through between me and the oncoming SUV with literally inches to spare... I even heard the SUV lock up his brakes trying to avoid the guy. This was apparently a very urgent pass because this guy had to keep up with his buddies who had passed us just moments before.

Anyway, way too much aggressive and stupid riding out there for this old fart to enjoy the ride. I'm going to stick to my "alone or small groups" rule from now on.
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with that, it can get nuts out there. It's nice when the fast guys have a bell or something to let you know they're there and you get a chance to get outta the way.

Nice to meet you by the way. :thumb
  15. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried real hard to stay outta the way all day, hugging the right side of the road. For this guy's pass though, there was nowhere I could have gone. There simply wasn't enough room for two bikes side by side one direction and an SUV the other direction.

The asshole on the KTM should have waited for a better time to pass.

Same to you... nice to put a face with the legend! :D

In fact, for me the best part of the whole Sheetiron was meeting all the cool people I met!