1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's doing Sheetiron this year?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Feb 26, 2008.

1. CNCJake

CNCJake SlaX0r

Oddometer:
    Fixed!:evil
  2. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    IN! I'll have the 'Fant back in about a week, so count me IN for all this easy riding you're proposing. :deal :ricky
  3. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    The SI has been on my calendar since the day I got back from last years event :D
  4. Offsome

Offsome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh ya count me in
  5. MightyZeus

MightyZeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [Mighty Zeus (Suzanna at Santa Rosa BMW) asked DaveBro and me to do a dualsport ride out of SR BMW so we'll most likely incorporate the two rides together. I'm thinking knobbies are going to be needed because it might be a little too exciting without. We'll see how much more rain we get.
    Dean
    mootsuno[/quote]

- The man's telling the truth. Dave Bro and Mootsuno will be putting together a dual sport ride that should be relatively friendly for larger displacement dual sport bikes (ie no single track).

Depending on the details of the ride, we'll have breakfast or afternoon refreshments fer yer tired bones, and with luck, I'll get to partake in the ride as well!

With even more luck, I'll get to do the Sheet Iron for my third year running. We'll see.
  6. dettlinger

dettlinger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had such a blast last year with Zeus, Paige, Dave Bro, Mendo Dave and others!!! I've recruited my brother, and a couple other buddies to ride this year.

So Mendo, no dustmasks this year???
  7. skidmark43

skidmark43 Does this look infected?

Oddometer:
    Space on the DualSportBC bus is going fast.

Last year I recall that about 10 of us made the trek to represent the Greater Vancouver Motorcycle Club. Brent, Mark and Rich of the OMC put on a fabulous event that we really look forward to.

We will be there again, departing Vancouver early Thursday. Pre-riding / ribboning the high elevations (we like snow) on Friday, performing mid-sweep on the hard route Saturday.

Good times!
  8. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So the date for the warm up ride is Sunday, April 13th. We'll be leaving from Santa Rosa BMW in Winsdor. Mostly paved backroads and dirt fire roads. We'll follow up with more details as the date approaches.

Dean
    mootsuno
  9. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    I guess Ill give this a whirl. Feck...I need another set of knobbies now. GRRRR
  10. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar

Oddometer:
    I am guessing no. If Spain falls apart I will definitely be there, dustmasks included, but I will also be packing plastic bags for the camera, etc.

It has been pretty damn wet here. The predictions are for more rain in the next month, but if not, it would be dusty. I'd worry more about deep water crossings and snow on the pass.

Did I tell you all about the nice big bear I saw licking his balls on my ride home last year after the Sheetiron? :huh

I took a side road from Bear Valley Rd. south of Stonyford over to Clear Lake, I came out by Bartlett Springs. Flying around a corner, lo and behold, a very large bear, in the traditional cleaning postition. Lucky for me he ran the other way. They are awesome beasts, rippling muscles, flowing long golden brown fur.

Mendo
  11. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please tell me that stopping to lick that bear's balls isn't on one of the easy splits! :huh
  12. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar

Oddometer:
    He was miles south of the Sheetiron...believe me, the horde of KTMs will keep most wildlife well away.

Report on snowpack in Mendo county

http://tinyurl.com/yt7s2k

Mendo
  13. mootsuno

mootsuno Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just pulled up Oakland MC's website to see if the Sheetiron flyer was available yet and it's not up. The page says their domain name is waiting renewal or being deleted. Hopefully this is just an oversight on their part.

Does anybody have any more info? :ear

Dean
    mootsuno
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    They had the 2008 info and the 2007 flyer a few days ago..I was waiting for the new flyer. Somebody must have fogotten to renew the domain.:scratch
  15. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
  16. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    April 1st, is the first day for sign up.
  17. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
  18. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    Ah, too bad you'll be missing the SI this year Dave, I was looking forward to riding with you. (Not like bicycling in Spain will suck though...)

After three consecutive years of being registered, then having to miss the event for one reason or another, I should be good to go this year. It sounds like I've got a loaner XR650R lined up and I can't wait to get out there.
  19. trasko

trasko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a GPS on the way... Ya'll think there will be tracks available for it? Not that it costs anything near a new GPS, I'd rather not get another doo-dad if it's not necessary.
  20. Craig1200

Craig1200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the route does cross some stretches of private property, which is the main reason the SI is so awesome. Without the hard work of the the OMC making the arrangements, you just cannot replicate the route. I do not think there will be GPS tracks for it.

Roll chart directions are fun! Admit it, the real problem is you have no place left on the bars to attach another item...:rofl