Who's planning on coming to Kodiak for Labor Day?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by kodiakfrank, Jul 11, 2009.

1. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    My My that sounds NASTY.
  2. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    :clap :freaky
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Don't expect a pm response for about a week from HayDutchesslives (Amy). I dropped her and another pretty gal off up at Donnely Cr 130mi north of Glennallen yesterday. The two of em are doing a 140mi hike on the other side of the Alaska Range coming out near the entrance to Denali! Yeah, she's hardcore! :wink: :lol3 They're hiking the general route that the Wilderness Classic is following this year. It begins tomorrow, Sunday.

I also talked to Alcan Rider (Jack) today on my way back into Anchorage. He's been busy working and now he's busy trying to get a rider from OR, who's bike gave out, going again. When I ran into the broke down rider in Glennallen I thought, who should I call? Well, sure wasn't gonna be Ghost Busters! :lol2 Jack's da man!

Mark H.
  4. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Thanks for feedback. I spoke with Jack today and he says he's going to check out things tonight or tomorrow and get back to me as to wether or not he's going to be able to make it for Labor Day.

Sounds like the Ladies are in for a nice ride if the weather cooperates. I'll look forward to hearing from HayDutcheslives in a week or so. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Nordkapper

Nordkapper British Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

I'm a Brit / new Anchorage resident. I'd like to bring my V-Strom over, what are the dates that most people are coming over to Kodiak, and what shipping company/sailing times? Shall I bring camping gear? What are most people doing?

Cheers, Jon Nordkapper
  6. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Nordkapper

I'm going by ferry. I leave Homer, Ak at 10:30 pm on Thurs. Sept 3, arrive in Kodiak on Fri. morning 11:15. Returning on Wed the 9th.

You can go to FerryAlaska.com and make reservations online. That's what I did yesterday morning. I did not select or check availablity of cabin. If you like we could share one and expense. You would probalby have to book it on your ticket. The total fare round trip with bike is 188.00 that's without cabin.

Waiting to hear from Jack today and see if he's going to. If he does we could maybe split a cabin 3 ways, if there are any left.

You will have about a 4-5 hour drive from Anch. down here to Homer. I could give you a tour of Homer either before departure or upon our return.
    If I can be of any more help, let me know. I'm still waiting to hear from Kodiak Frank or someone about lodging.

If you want to call me, I can pm you my ph. #. Again welcome to AK and look foward to meeting you showing you some of our MOST BEAUTIFUL state.
    :clap :clap
  7. Nordkapper

Oddometer:
    I'll try to book the same ferry to Kodiak and return. Will try to get cabin and we'll sort later. Yes pse pm cell nr. Cheers, Jon.

8. Nordkapper

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm now on board the same sailings. A cabin is only available on journey to Kodiak. Return to Homer has no cabins available. I've only booked the sailings. If you definately want the Homer to Kodiak cabin let me know numbers and maybe we can sort something in slow time?

Looking forward to it!

9. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about hotel availability here, there are 2 hotels in town. Best Western Inn is right downtown and has a good restaurant/bar. The Buskin River hotel is right next to the airport and close to the CG base. It's just down the road from the Buskin Beach House. As far as camping, there's a campground right at the Buskin River. It's a really pretty spot. I like to camp at Fort Abercrombie which is north of town a few miles. It's all dense Spruce rain forest. There's camping in Pasagshak as well but thats as far from anything as you can get. Of course if you're a CBOA member you can pitch a tent just about anywhere on a beach.
  10. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
  11. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    I thought Frank had a posting about accomadations at someplace he has access to. I was talking with his son-in-law Stu. He mentioned about a Sister's of Assisi or something like that.

I can do camping is need be.

Frank......Chime in, we need your help.

Thanks, Charlie
  12. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Hey Kodiak folks

Good news, Jack "da MAN" is coming down to the rock too. Jon and I are trying to change our arrival to come down with Jack on Sat. instead of Fri.
    Jack got a cabin so all we have to do is make sure they have space for our bikes which hopefully won't be a big problem.

Won't get confirmation on change until office's open in morning.

Anyway that's 3 more to add to your rock. Hope we don't sink it.

Do you all have a mosquito problem or anything down there we should be aware of besides the bears.???
    :lol3 :clap :freaky
  13. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    We often times have a liquid sunshine problem. Usually accompanied by 20-40mph light breezes. :lol3
  14. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    Yeah a shortage of Liquid Sunshine during this shindig would be a problem. :evil
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Correction made.

The AMHS site said that vehicle space on the 5th is "limited", but it looks like there is plenty of room for bikes as my reservation went right through. Gonna have to leave midway through all the festivities (i.e. while everyone is still halfway sober) to get back to work, but it will be good to visit Kodiak again for the first time in over 30 years, and to meet the rest of the crew serving their sentence on the Rock.

Hope my Connie doesn't take a nap where cameras are present.

What happens on the Rock stays on the Rock, right? :nod :nod :nod
    :deal
  16. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    if you're a CBOA member you can pitch a tent just about anywhere on a beach.[/quote]

CBOA is that Cold Boy of Alaska??? What does it stand for.
  17. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I have an extra room if anybody needs a place to stay. :deal

could probably fit 2
    :freaky:1drink
  18. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Ok... Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights can be spent at the Buskin Beach House for free (donations will be accepted to offset the cost of the BBH rental but are definetly not required).

Monday night is a possibility, I just need to confirm with the the guy in charge of renting the place to us.

You can either camp on the grounds of the BBH or sleep in the building.

There is also other camping available within walking / staggering / crawling distance of the BBH.

Either way you will need your camp gear.

There are hotels in town but they won't be cheap and with the rodeo in town, may not have any openings.

The BBH also has a shower, full kitchen, BBQ, and fireplace.

BTW, at least one of us Coasties will have to stay at the BBH each night.
  19. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    We don't tan... We rust!:deal
  20. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    That's what I needed to know. Stu mentioned something about Sisters of Seecie or something like that. Jack will be leaving on Mon. evening. Jon and I will be there until Weds. So we would need a place or camp out for at least one or two nights.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting down there. I'll see if I can bring some Homer Sunshine. Sounds like you all could use some.