1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Whos READY to ride India?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Cant-stop-riding, May 21, 2017.

1. Cant-stop-riding

Cant-stop-riding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    India was by far one of the top countries I've ridden. Don't get me wrong, its a struggle...the roads are quite dangerous in fact. But the people you meet along the way are the gems...I cant wait to go back. I made three separate trips to ride in India. The first was from Mumbai to Leh Ladakh and beyond into the Nubra Valley. The second was from Mumbai the Far NorthEast region of India known as Assam. I was invited by The Road Stallions Bullet Club to join them to Rider Mania in Nagpur and then on to the Tiger Preserves before I split ways and continued to Assam. Once in Assam I left my motorcycle there with friends and took a two day train ride back to Mumbai as my visa was expiring. The third and final ride took me from Assam (far NE India) down the East coast of India to Kanyakumari which is the southernmost point...let me just say, that was a very difficult ride. Once at the southernmost point of India I began my journey back to Mumbai and sold my bike. Three separate rides, each 30 days...took me to all the corners of India. I couldnt have done it without the help of my Indian friends. Here are a few SHORT vids to show the journey.

Shivanshu likes this.
  2. Shivanshu

Shivanshu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow great.... that would have been one hell of a ride.
  3. Cant-stop-riding

Oddometer:
    It was...the first ride to Leh Ladahk was too rushed...people normally spend closer to a month in Leh Ladahk and explore once they arrive. I was on the move EVERY day...which didnt give me so much time to meet locals.
    1W6A0044.jpg 1W6A0534web.jpg 1W6A0860.jpg 1W6A0918.jpg
    Shivanshu likes this.
  4. Shivanshu

Oddometer:
    So how did you find Ladakh? You should have spent more time out there and explored. There are many hidden places out there which are beautiful.
    Cant-stop-riding likes this.
  5. Cant-stop-riding

Oddometer:
    Yes. Its not so much that there are "hidden" places although I'm sure there are many...more so that the area is MASSIVE. and going from one location to another takes a whole day...so when you sit down and start counting days...they go quickly. I think 2-3 weeks would be enough to see everything you would want. Add more days if you want to relax for a few days here or there. Oh, another thing. I was seconds from not making it over the Khardung La. A bus broke down and the road was blocked. With the snow and ice no even motorcycles continued...so there is that constant threat of starting the day and then being turned right around to try and start it again the following day as there are very few work arounds on the pass roads.
  6. Joe Oster

Joe Oster n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm flying to Delhi july 3 2017 (10 days from now) with my partner are meeting 3 other riding friends there. We have 3 months to explore the north and nepal. I assume you rode an Enfield 350 bullet the entire time. My partner is a novice rider so we were opting for 2 smaller bikes rather than 2 up on an enfield but i guess that decision will have to be made when we get there and see what the used bike market is like. Do you have any friends in Delhi you could put me in touch with or have any words of wisdom for when we arrive?
    Cant-stop-riding likes this.
  7. Cant-stop-riding

Oddometer:
    I dont have any friends in Delhi but I do know many people in Bombay and Assam that may be helpful. I would advise that you check out the FB groups I've linked at the bottom and if you post on my FB page Perpetual-moto-discovery we can get you in contact with people for sure. In the other networks just state the same as what you have told me asking for advice, you are sure to get some...not sure on your situation but crossing the border with the bike you purchase may not be possible. It depends on how much time you have to get the title in your name...that may take several months.

I rode for 3 months (one on a 350 and two on a 500 enfeild) and managed to cover a healthy chunk of the country including riding the whole coastline east and west...Leh Ladakh, Assam, to just name a few. You have quite a adventure ahead of you for sure! I'm excited for you!

One word of caution-
    The roadways in India are the most dangerous I have ever experienced. You will have large trucks driving in your lane pushing you off the road on a consistent basis and it only gets worse if you are riding up a pass. Riders MUST be 100% confident in their actions and able to navigate dangerous situations on rapid scale. Pls do not ride at night...pls.

India is a place where things happen because you know someone...so meet as many peo

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=184736594564&ref=br_rs
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mtmgrid/
    https://www.facebook.com/perpetualmoto/
  8. Shivanshu

Oddometer:
    The weather out here is very unpredictable these days. If you want to ride then I would suggest you to login to www.bcmtouring.com for the updates on the road conditions, I am also there.

And just to remind you - you are coming in Rainy Season. The upper reaches of Himalayas are prone to landslides in heavy rain, and this year its crazy. Let me know if you need any help.