Who's riding with fused vertebrae?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by NoTime, Apr 14, 2012.

1. charlesernst

charlesernst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my T-7,8 and 9 fused after a wreck a year ago. I have 38,000 miles on the new bike! If you don't do what you love while you are living, just exactly when are you planning to? Have fun!
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    T6,7,&8 fused. Got hit by a drunk while I was sitting at a stop light. I did lose some range of motion. The biggest issues I've had is the damage to my sciatic nerve.
  3. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I have that book but I have not tackled it yet.

Can you let me know wich Exercise you do to help you with your pain? DO you do them to this day or just in the rehab process?
  4. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    L4-S1 and C4-6 here. Of course I've lost range of motion, but it was a lot worse before they patched me up...:1drink

I can't ride sport style bikes or stand stationary on hard surfaces for more than thirty minutes or so but other than that I'm good to go.
  5. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rheumatoid arthritis has fused much of my mid section, including pelvis, lower back,portions of my rib cage and the most severe fusion has been in my neck. (Ankylosing Spondylitis). Bending over is restricted and my head motion from side to side makes people think I am having a severe neck cramp. This fusion is different from a surgical fusion in that new bone forms, turning my spine int a bamboo like structure. I am 53 years old and my day job is running a blacksmith shop.

I have been bicycling for several years with one significant front wheel wash out at 30 mph that resulted 48 stitches in my knee, broken nose, thumb and my shoulder blade broken in two places. It was a hell of a blow. But other than some real soreness, no neck or back damage.

I have been riding a 1200 GSA for 1 year now. Stock seat is rough but added bar risers. The helmet gives me some rough neck aches but I have minimal problems with 7 - 800 mile days. My adventures in the last year include a fly and ride from Arizona to Alabama, a round trip to the west coast of Mexico via Creel, lots of exploring dirt roads and anywhere else I want to go. Next on the itinerary is the Mississippi Hill County Ride, which is a 250 mile dirt road ride from north to south Mississippi. Then another Mexico ride in the early spring. I ride alone and hate picking up the beast.

I may be wandering over the line from adventure into stupidity with the potential penalties for a guy with my problems taking a fall. But when I first started realizing my restrictions from the arthritis, I let it slow me down and I was scared to push myself. After a bout with cancer a couple of years ago with multiple surgeries and radiation, I realized not living is a much worse idea. That's when the idea to buy a motorcycle and see my friend in Guaymas Mexico originated.

My biggest activity restriction has been parachuting. I have always had a fear of heights and thought that would be a good cure. I am talking to a friend who is a jump instructor now, but will wait a few years just in case my doctor is right about that one.
  6. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a couple harrington rods in my lower back and basically NO flexibility

Honestly I start to ache and feel bad if I don't ride

I got them due to an accident when I was 25 or so and all my life thought I couldn't camp etc because my back ALWAYS hurts

EXCEPT when I go on a long multi day off-road ride I sleep like a baby and feel great

It's the TV and computer (and this stupid website) that gets me
  7. go4mini

go4mini Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sept 3, 1968- compression fracture of the lower lumbar ( I fell out the back of of a friend's JEEP pickup screwing around). Had a fusion of the lower lumbar L1 to L4, no rods, just a bone from the pelvis. Spent almost a year in a body cast. I've been riding ever since. Does it hurt- HELL YES!! Does it slow me down-not a bit. Just live your life. You figure out ways to do things so it doesn't hurt as bad. And a few pills if it gets too bad. I'm 63 now, cut and split all my firewood, do everything and probably more than I should, do 500-600 mile days on my RS and GS, planning a solo trip to Deadhorse in 2 years. Don't let someone tell you you can't do something. Learn your own limitations and life your life. As for me-no regrets so far! :beer
  8. rkfire

rkfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, new guy here. A friend led me to this discussion. I had the lowest 4 levels fused on April 1, so 24 days ago. Began hydro therapy in a pool, and been driving when needed for 2 weeks. Getting in an out of a car, or even my Ranger pickup is difficult and painful, now and before surgery. I rode my motorcycle prior to surgery pain free, but an unusual amount of enduring snow this winter kept me off the bike.

My question to those that went through similar surgeries is, how soon after surgery did you begin to ride again?

Likely short rides, Dr appointments, drug store, therapy etc. I'm honestly thinking riding would be preferable, none of that bending and twisting to get in, single track making it easier to avoid bumps and potholes, better suspension on my bike vs pickup truck.

My bike is a Suzuki Bandit, a standard, and adjusted in every respect to my ergonomic preferences.

I do NOT feel I would get an honest answer from my health care people, other than NO to motorcycling. I began a conversation with the therapist, and it went nowhere other than her telling me my doctor got furious over another patient riding to therapy.
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Holy crap,,,, times have changed in 25 years.:eek1

When I had mine fused I was in the hospital in a striker bed for another 2 weeks before they even let me sit up in the bed. Another week in the hospital after that and I was in a wheel chair for another month after that. After he wheel chair it was a walker for a month or so then a cain. It was prolly a good 6 months before I was able to walk unassistaded. Was around a year before I went back to work and about the same for riding.

I know my injury ruptured the nerve sac and nerves were damaged but dang,,,,, you doing good. I wouldn't press your luck.:1drink

As for advice, I would stay off it untill the bone had time to fully strengthen and I hate to say but your doc would prolly know best. Whatever you decide,,, best of luck.:1drink
  10. rkfire

rkfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply on this old thread.

They had me up and walking a little, the next day.

My bottom 3 vertibrae were collapsed onto each other, causing spinal stenosis, and my being unable to stand for more than a minute, or walk sometimes barely to my back yard.

The thing that makes me wonder about riding is, before surgery, it was easier and less painful to ride than it was to drive. Mostly due to the getting in, and getting out part. I carried a folding cane in my bag.

I'm really kind of thinking it's got to be LESS risk now that things are screwed together. Plus the fact that I'm twisting everytime I get in a car/truck seat, and I'm not supposed to do that. The ducking under the door opening is painful as well. Then factor in the harsh suspension of a truck hitting a bump or pothole. ouch
  11. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    All would be good till a wreck. I know one could wreck in an auto but the consequences would likely be alot less with the auto wreck. I know you know that and I'm no Chicken Little but seriously, be carefull. You have the rest of your life to ride, let the bone heal and get as strong as it can.
  12. abrasive

abrasive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 C levels fused here. Agree 100% with this.

It does get better. I spend a LOT of time on two wheels now with no issues.
  13. rkfire

rkfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really asking how long after surgery others with fused vertibrae took to get back on the motorcycle.
  14. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 or 4 years. C5-6 fusion. Almost no loss of range of motion though and I stretch my neck every day.
  15. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Well for me,,,, it was roughly a year. I think my issues were different though. Talk with some doctors that specialize in bone injuries and get a consensous from two or three and average.:lol3

Anywho,,,, good luck and I hope you get back to riding quickly.:1drink
  16. abrasive

abrasive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 months. Age, mid-40's.
  17. rkfire

rkfire Adventurer

Oddometer:

I think that's the same message as the physical therapist. Which I take as, be careful not to wreck.

I'll hold off for a little while. I'm thinking I'll know when it's time.
  18. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    On the other side of the coin, it took me almost ten years. :eek1

Three to learn to walk again (still with a cane), five to drive a manual shift car (poorly), almost ten to ride a bike.
    I was very surprised to find that riding was MUCH easier and less painful than driving. :wink:

Fused L4-L5 but I had a disc pressing on my spinal cord, bruising it. Plus I have a lot of disc degeneration elsewhere.
    I find riding position has a lot to do with comfort too. Feet forward doesn't work for me, sport-bike is a bit too cramped, sport-tourer through dual-sport and standards work great though. :clap

Good luck healing well, I hope you get to ride for many more years.
  19. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth: I've followed this discussion on another forum and most of the riders were told by their docs, "Don't do this or that"... but for a set period of time. It won't hurt to be patient like at least 6 weeks before riding. You've been through the surgery, so why screw it up right off the bat by being impatient? Fusions take longer to consolidate than say a broken bone so you may be stabilized by screws and /or plates but not yet healed.
  20. rkfire

rkfire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you there. Before surgery, and I waited way long before seeing a doc, riding was the one thing I could do painlessly. The position was perfect.

Today I drove to pool therapy in my pickup, getting in, closing the door, buckling up, then twisting to check blind spots, and got stuck in a lane on the highway undergoing repairs that had depressed runoff grates.

By the time I got there, did the excersizes, and came home my back has been barking at me since the beginning of the drive.

I'm about 99% sure if I went on the bike I would have none of those issues.