Who's riding with fused vertebrae?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by NoTime, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three fused vert in my neck with a titanium plate, 65 yo, just completed a 6,153 mile trip, no immediate plans to stop riding.
    pops likes this.
  2. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Broke my neck and upper back in 2007, I'm 60 now. I still ride dirt bikes and mountain bike. If I listen to the Doctor I'd be just riding the couch, F that
    back.jpg halo001.jpg IMG_2635.JPG
    pops likes this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    C5-C7 (actually T1) wearing a Leatt neck brace for safety when off roading. Don't want to break any more of them, that'd be catastrophic.
    pops likes this.
  4. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, where has all the years gone to ?
    6 weeks now, totaly drug free. After 7 odd years of pain medication, definitely not my recommendation, to just lock oneself away for two weeks to quit .
    Even with the strife i have had after my operations, i would still go ahead with the fusions. Just not under my original surgeon.
    Hopefully all posting on here ,are getting stronger and enjoying life , pain free .
  5. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    8th grade football screwed up my neck. Not sure the doc at the ostio hospital didn't do more harm than the guy that stumbled in to my head/neck. From that day on, every time I move my head I get all kinds of crunching noises in my neck...still to this day. I rode enduros for a couple of years but the neck pain was really bad. Switched to trials for several years and that was much better...in every way. Got in to cycling (big time), ran a couple of marathons and triathalons. and didn't ride bikes for a few years. My old riding buddies started taking trips to Mexico so I got another bike to go on the DS type rides they were doing in MX and CO. In the mean time I'm still in to cycling and climbing. Climbed some 14ers in CO, Orizaba in MX and McKinley (Denali) in Alaska. Fast forward 30 years from the original injury and I wake up one morning with my left side tingling, like it's asleep, form my arm pit to my foot and split right down the middle. It took several months for the docs to figure out 2 disks were pushing in to my spinal cord. The surgery doc says do the surgery or you my not be able to walk. Well he does the fusions, c5-c6 and c6-c7, with bone from my left hip. The numb one. :D I stay in the hospital about a week and they send me home with a plastic/foam velcro neck brace and say I shouldn't drive for a while. I didn't ask about bikes or anything else. Learned a long tome ago....don't ask a question that might have NO for an answer. So I walked the 2 1/2 miles to work and back every day for a couple of weeks till a finally figured out it was more dangerous walking than driving. Almost got hit a couple of times by drivers not paying attention. The doc keeps me in the neck brace for about 6 months. Maybe he knew what I was probably going to do if I could get loose from that neck brace but I think he was just covering his ass. Anyway soon after that I was on a modified exercise program that I got from the therapy people gave me. Modified because some of the moves seemed to do some good, some didn't, and some seemed harmful. Mostly core work and added some upper body strength exercise I was already doing for climbing. Also started bicycle riding again which took care of everything else. One year after the surgery I went to Europe with 3 friends and climbed the Eiger and Mont Blanc. Fun stuff. Been riding ever since, mostly street legal dirt bikes on DS type rides, COBDR, NMBDR, CDR, CO jeep trail type stuff. Got a 2013 KTM450xcw a couple of years ago and love it. Still can't fell my left side and my neck still goes crunch, crunch every time I move it. I'll be 75yo next Feb. :thumb
    pops likes this.
  6. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    L4-L5-S1 fusion in 2006 at 42 years old. Over a year recovery before I even jumped off a curb. Bought a hardtail chopper in 2008 and never looked back. Still ride in the woods single track too.
    pops likes this.
  7. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    C6-C7 for me. Just a little weakness in left tricep from nerv damage. But no pain. Can ride forever