Who's using what and when - a fuel pump fairy tale

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by leftshark, Dec 25, 2013.

1. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to be switching out my fuel pump for a lengthy trip as a precaution and bring my old stocker as a spare. I am wondering what people are using brand wise for a replacement and whether I would need to get a spare controller or not. Parts are not available in trip so I was thinking of using the burns bypass cable instead of the spare controller. Are the he bay pumps ok or am I just looking for trouble and do they include the level sensor?
    Daniel
    And for my anti troll retardant i have searched and was thinking that a unified fuel pump replacement topic would be good. Lots of info but not much for naming brands and best options, just a lot or complaints. Lol
  2. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    First off, what year and mileage are you at? I changed my pump at 60K kms but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Have you had any problems with it? The Ebay pumps are reported to work ok. I'd carry that as a spare tho. It only replaces the pump, you use your old level sensor. If the pump failed because of a highly restricted filter, the replacement won't last either. If you have an older model with a silver controller, it'd be better to buy the new style black one and carry the silver as a spare.

So yeah, give us more info please.
  3. leftshark

Oddometer:
    2010 orange (it does make a difference lol) with 52km. Works fine but doing a dempster run and want a spare. Had a few hot weather 30+C and low tank stalls but only 2 I think
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  5. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    Not really knowing your history of this bike (modifications), have you removed the charcoal canister? I had several low tank stalls due to the canister being faulty. I've removed it and not had a promblem since.
  6. leftshark

Oddometer:
    Canadian bikes have no lumps of coal canisters. And no engine mods done
  7. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    If you're really worried about it, I have a 2012 pump assembly with 8K miles on it sitting on a shelf.........
  8. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why would you waste money on the Burns cable when you either do the bypass yourself without one (and that you do not have to unplug when you turn off the bike), or just get yourself an old duff controller and roll your own bypass cable that will also work with your ignition and not have to be unplugged?

Real simple procedure, no need to waste money on something that requires you to physically unplug it every time you stop. If you have one of the black powdercoated fuel pump controllers you likely will not have to worry, it was the old silver/grey colored ones that would usually go.

With what you save on the Burns cable including shipping etc...you can put it towards a good aftermarket spare pump and filter set up and have zero worries. If your current fuel pump is working fine, leave it and take the aftermarket items as spares. Let sleeping dogs and pumping pumps lie.:deal
  9. leftshark

Oddometer:
    Pm for reaver