Who's your daddy? Gerbing's is your daddy.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bird, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Bird

Bird Who is Cockeye?

Oddometer:
    It snowed the entire 40-something miles to work today so the the new jacket liner got a good workout. My only bitch about it is the lack of elements in the bicep area of the sleeves. Other than that, coupled with their 'Heat-troller' this jacket kicks bootay.

I rode up through Sardine Canyon last weekend to Logan and although the temp was in the 40's (warm by this morning's standards) it was nice to have that full sleeve and heated neck. Comfy. Like slippers and a big girl.

Seeya Widder.
  2. Hankth

Hankth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. I love mine too! I have been out in 37 deg. (Bank Sign), and have been pretty comfy. Nice equipment.
  3. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    37 degrees and pouring rain for the past two days and I have been toasty and dry.

Thanks Gerbing.
  4. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that sounds nice! I have the vest version by widder for BMW.

It is nice BUT my arms get damn cold!!! I wish I just plunked down the money for the jacket. Although, now that I am not in Colorado anymore I dont use it as much.

Enjoy riding in the snow!

Jason
  5. rabia

rabia Pixel pusher and vector vixen

Oddometer:
    I like my gerbing jacket liner and gloves a lot...but...

what does THAT mean? Slippers and a big girl? What the hell does that mean????

Okra??
  6. Bird

Bird Who is Cockeye?

Oddometer:
    Is there anything more comfy than this?

Attached Files:

7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Nope. More burgers. Lots more burgers.
  8. eap

eap El Adventurero Solitario Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well dudes I can recommend that you pull into the next Harley D Dealer and Boutique and check out their heated jacket ‘liners’… I got one last Saturday for my Birthday and tested it for a couple of hours on Sunday – great test day, 31 degrees and very blustery wind conditions.

The HD’s ($220) are made by Gerbing but finished much, much - very much nicer - with ~ 3” knitted waist band and cuffs, two zipper pockets up front and an inside vest pocket (sized just right to store the switch and cable), zips up to the chin with a heated neck. The nylon HD jacket is a decent wind block layer and looks great, kinda like a Bomber style, but fits under a tight leather jacket (for the test, all I wore on top was a silk-skin long sleeve shirt, the HD heated jacket and my cheap but thick leather outer jacket) – my torso stayed toasty while my arms were a little less toasty. This jacket looks good too and can be worn in style when you peel off your outerwear, around the campfire or running errands…

I had decided against vests since I wanted the heated sleeves and almost got the Kanetsu wind block. But this HD jacket is a keeper and has the plugs for the future ‘upgrade’ to ‘lectric gloves and pants.

In fact, I like it so much that I’m not even going to ink out the stylish HD logos, just a 1” square on left breast and 1”x 2” on the back.

The one negative, although it will fit under a tight leather jacket, it is not recommended to be ‘scrunched’ up but is supposed to be stored as ‘loose’ as possible so I may eventually get a second, possibly a vest or the light weight Kanetsu for those cool spring/summer nights in the Blue Ridge ….

:thumb :thumb

Attached Files:

9. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    what do you mean "finished nicer than the Gerbing"? from your description, it sounds exactly like the Gerbing i've got, except that you paid an extra 10% for HD logos, apparently,...

that said, i also think they rock; morning commutes and weekend adventures in the 30s and 40s have been much more pleasurable in the Gerbings jacket with the HeatTroller dialed on low than they ever were with the Widder/BMW vest i used (briefly).

cheers!
    e

10. eap

Oddometer:
    Well I think your right, I just looked at the Gerbing site again, and they do look alike [​IMG]
    [​IMG]- but I had been to two dealers that carried a fugly Gerbing that had a bunched up elastic waiste band and no pockets. What's with that? - old style maybe - Oh Well - $20 bucks for the HD logo...

Cheers back at ya!
  11. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    cool,... you may be right about the old style; i've only been looking at them closely this year.

side note; here's hoping we don't both look like the dude in this picture, eh? :lol2

cheers!
    e

12. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
  13. eap

Oddometer:
    Ya got that right, Zouch! Talk about fugleee, that guys got the Ed Zaccary syndrome for sure...:waysad
  14. eap

Oddometer:
    Freaky - I don't even want to imagine you in a leather bikini ! :rofl
  15. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    don't worry, it'll never happen :lol2

jammin is down in Myrtle Beach. they have some good prices on riding gear. my jacket was $110. it's got a gortex liner. with a turtle neck another light layer, a bmw heated vest and 20 degree is nothing. :D
  16. Tugrik

Tugrik Big Blue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heated clothing is one of those little acessories I figured I'd never be able to get in this life, at my size. I emailed them just to be curious about it, and gave 'em the measurement chart from Bates.

They will make the liners in my size. :huh Whoda thought?

Now I gotta look at these things seriously and stop ignoring Gerbing threads as I've done for ages (even over on my g'wing forums). As if I needed <i>another</i> reason to spend money...

Say what you want about the un-studliness of wearing heated clothing. I'd just like to have the option of riding at any temperature whenever needed.
  17. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    hi Tug!

one of the reasons i went with Gerbings was because of my size/shape. i'm a good bit over 6' and have a relatively high Ape Index, and as a result need almost everything in Longs or Talls. as you've found out, Gerbing (bless their little heated hearts) custom makes stuff to measure.

WRT the un-studliness factor; on a stop on a recent weekend adventure passing through the Central Valley at night, some comments were made by locals about how cold we must be riding. a fellow GS Adventure rider and i pointed out our electrics, and were met with a mixture of wonder, disbelief, disgust, and admiration... kinda' fun!
    frankly, i think it's more 'studly' to be prepared to be out there, rather than not going because you're not prepared.

i like to keep perspective by remembering what a former co-worker from Alaska used to say: "Thar ain't no such thang as bad weather; just bad clothing!"

cheers!
    e

18. hutchman

hutchman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tug,

I'm 6' 8" and 320 pounds. (Probably should have been an NFL Lineman, but gravity and beer came first!) I bought a Gerbings suit 2 years ago. It now has enough miles on it that it needs to have the velcro replaced. It's dirty. But the damn thing just keeps coming back for more. I were it every day.

It did not fit right when new and they fixed it with no questions asked. These people build a great product and back it up with friendly customer service. You cannot go wrong.

The suit is not waterproof. I wash mine in some waterproof stuff from REI and then spray the heck out of it with heavy duty Scotchgard. With this treatment, I have ridden in a downpoure most of a day and stayed 98% dry.
  19. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I do not want to think about zouch wearing one of these.
  20. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    ain't nothing unstudly about heated gear...it rocks and extends the riding season to, um, 12 cozy months for us! :D