Who's your daddy? Gerbing's is your daddy.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bird, Oct 30, 2002.

1. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    me either; looks uncomfortable.
    how would that fit in with the ATGATT philosophy?

scarier yet, i'm afraid there might be some here who might like it! don't tell me what made you think of that,... :huh

cheers!
    e

2. abqhudson

abqhudson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a slightly used 2002 R1150RT (1400 miles) in Dallas. Before flying down to get my first BMW motorcycle, I asked around and was told by the guys who ride in all kinds of weather that I had to get a heated vest. Of course, the two BMW dealers in Albuquerque and Santa Fe did not have one in stock to fit my odd XL size, so I wound up at the Harley Dealer. Great fortune, as my salesman was a GS rider and he convinced me that I should get the full liner instead of the vest. Picked up the bike yesterday and rode south to find rideable weather and spent the night in Big Springs Texas. When I left this morning at 9:30, it was 34 degrees. I'm not sure I was toasty at first, but the ride to Albuquerque was bearable - thanks to the Gerbing. I highly recommend it.

Jim
  3. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    hi Jim!

first, congrats on the new-to-you RT!

i'm curious about your comment about the ride being only "bearable"...
    of course, the jacket needs a bit to warm up; you did factor that in, right?
    also, were you wearing it as recommended? by that i mean did you have only a light layer underneath your Gerbing (i like a long-sleeve T or turtleneck), and an insulating layer (maybe fleece?) between the Gerbing and your riding suit? the reason i ask is i've seen people defeat the purpose by wearing their electrics *over* something insulating, thereby insulating themselves from the heat the Gerbing produces,...

i generally wear my Gerbing jacket over just my shirt, and nothing in-between the Gerbing and my Savanna suit. when it gets colder, adding the the Gore-Tex liner to my Savanna suit seems to do a great job of blocking the wind and extending the comfort range even further,...

cheers!
    e

4. abqhudson

abqhudson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was not unduly cold at 34 degrees and 80 mph. T-shirt - then turtle neck t-shirt - then Gerbing - then a very heavy Harley Leather Jacket. Balaclava, full-face Shoei, snowboarding gloves. As I said, the liner "saved" me.

Jim
  5. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    hi Jim!

gotcha'. (i must have missed the reference to it "saving" you,...)

you could probably get a more warmth out of the setup yet by using just the turtleneck under the Gerbing and using a light insulating layer between the Gerbing and the leather if you've got room for it,... you didn't mention whether the leather was insulated or not, but a bit of thin fleece between the Gerbing and the leather might help out.

still tip 'o the hat to ya' for getting out there and doing it to it!

cheers!
    e
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's 2F wndchill. That's pretty damn cold.
  7. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    cold WTF never heard of it :): [​IMG] normal ride gear for an ocker ALL year round