Why 1150GS gas gauges dont work.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kelsokid, May 26, 2009.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    This thread prolly has some good info for you,
    http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/R1150 GS fuel gauge.html

<BR>
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    That's exactly how it works. The opposite effect happens if the tank is always kept full, and refilled at 1/2 tank.

<BR>
  3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    :lol3 Best solution so far!

<BR>
  4. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Yes, I use those when installing my own electrical additions. In fact, I even solder the wire ends to the gold connector for a trouble-free connection.

I encountered your problem...once. A simple disconnect and reconnect of the connector solved it.

Of course, this is never an issue if the gas tank is removed at least once a year as it should be when doing preventative maintenance...its amazing the things you'll catch while doing so...like chaffed wiring.

[​IMG]
  5. ergates

ergates ergates

Oddometer:
    awg? I'm guessing that's American Wire Gauge?
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's my solution too. Low fuel light works fine. I was told that the two are not related at all, so, it's not a big deal to me. WE've all had bikes that didn't have low fuel gauge's. I just pretend my 1150ADV didn't come with one!
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, next time I swap the filter, I can screw around with this part...

More fun with the DVM.:clap
  8. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    This is outside the box but what do you think for GSA owners. The GSA has the balance tube, transfer tube under the tank. How can you mount some sort of site tube for fuel like the oil site tube on the Honda XR650R?

[​IMG]

Maybe two "T" fittings spliced into the cross feed tube and wrapped around the side of the tank for a visual of your fuel quantity.

[​IMG]
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    Sure, that'd work. Use two tee fittings. One in the crossover hose, the other in the tank vent hose. Connect the clear sight tube between those two points. That's how the sight tube is connected on the 650R. One end of the tube at a low point in the tank, and the other end above the highest level of liquid.

<BR>
  10. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steptoe,
    After reading all the posts on the fuel gauge malfunction which suggest not enough power coming thru as the primary problem and your comment regarding dielectric grease, I took the connection under my tank apart and using miniature files and 400 grit sand paper cleaned my contacts best I could, then stuffed the female end full of dielectric grease and VOILA!--gauge, which was missing top 2 bars, works like new.
    Thanks
  11. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Filling the tank prolly helped too

<BR>
  12. Mainuh

Mainuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my 04 GSA in december, so had it in my shop over the winter and did a complete service including fuel filter, but never got to ride it much after buying it in December until april. So I only started out with a couple gallons and the guage seemed to reflect that well. When the reserve light popped on I fueled up within 15 miles and it took about 6.5 gals. Pretty normal you're saying... right? But, after I filled it, there were *NO* bars of fuel showing. When I get above 100 miles on a tank I start to see bars... at about 150-175 miles it has worked it's way up to showing 1/2 tank full, then starts to descend back down to reserve light at about 260-275 miles depending on riding style on that tank. I've now put about 6K on since registering it in April and this behavior has been consistent with every tank. When I service the fuel filter, I did do the eraser to the contacts, but wonder about the arm being out of line and not making contact until the tank is near half empty. THe funny thing is, if the bike sits on the sidestand sometimes it'll show a near full tank (when it's really near full) until I stand it upright and run it a minute or two and then the level goes back down. I can live with this since it seems to be pretty accurate for the 2nd half of the tank and I'm religious about setting the tripmeter. Anyone seen this behavior?

Now the temp sensor on the other hand is pretty flaky and seems to fluctuate 2-3 bars at times even when at full operating temp (flickering up and down). Guess I'll have to look at that the next time the bike is naked.
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

That is about what my 03 GSA does. It will show nothing, then a few then nothing. Put it on the side stand and it will be accurate for a while then nothing then a few. All of this after I changed the fuel filter.
  14. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with my '04 GSA's fuel gauge: wouldn't show full when it was full and would show empty before it was empty. I did as a fellow inmate advised and cleaned the 4 pin connector with 400 grit sand paper, applied dielectric grease and, to quote aforementioned inmate, VOILA! I also had another issue: my low fuel light has never come on in the time I've owned the bike (I'm the 3rd owner). I've yet to ride far enough since the fix to get to a low fuel status, so we'll see if that issue will be resolved as well. Thanks for the help y'all!
  15. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    You'd think BMW would have it all figured out by now. They use waterproof connectors elsewhere on the GS; why not there?
  16. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree. I was surprised that this was a problem at all. It's not as if a fuel gauge is some sort of new technology. :dunno