Why all the Bad Talk (GS8 bad mouthing backlash)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by doubleoh7, Jan 13, 2010.

1. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer:
    So seriously, I have owned my BMW F800GS for 4k miles now. I have done mild dirt, with mild rocks, and street touring galore. I just did 35 miles of dirt yesterday on the stock tires with no suspension adjustments with full luggage, and I'm just trying to figure out why all you ff's keep bashing this great bike?? Honestly, what am I missing - or is it that all of you guys love finding the smallest quirk so you can take it over board and over react, to be more dramatic than my 54 year old mother. I'm trying to figure out, why so many people out there, have become the best GS8 critic on the planet, cause if we are all such great critics why are we surfing this awesome forum, looking to put in our two cents, instead of writing columns for world renowned magazines, testing bikes on the ruff and tumble. Think about it and let me know - :thumb
  2. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to think about. Very, very few people post on how they went for a ride and nothing happened.

Grain of salt the whole thing. Yes, there are true issues. But, even so (and I am dealing with my share of them between my F800GS, my wife's F650GS, and my K1300GT (BMS-K died today on that one)) the bike is fantastic, enjoyable and I plan on hanging on to it for quite some time.

Ride and enjoy.
  3. Zacharia_11

Zacharia_11 11th Assassin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh ya... [​IMG]
  4. doubleoh7

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your input... you're the man :freaky
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get back to me when your engine's leaking oil, your chain is broken, it won't run (raining or when hot) and both your rims are bent which you discovered when changing out your rear bearings at 2000kms. Then we'll talk.
    These are actual people dealing with actual problems.
    My bike has some of the above.
    All in all I am still pleased with it, however, I can see how you'd be perplexed if you haven't experienced some of these troubles!
  6. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're happy w/ your bike. Chances are you are the person BMW made this bike for and that it what it is all about.

I feel let down in many ways w/ my 800. That hasn't stopped me from riding that bitch here and back a whole lotta times.
  7. doubleoh7

Oddometer:
    ^^^

Thanks to both of you, who recognize the bike is still good. Valued input. Anyone else :ear
  8. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    I think your reading it wrong. The fact is, there have been some problems with this bike. What you see is the disappointment of an owner of a new bike that cost a few bucks. What you seemed to miss is that moist of the poster end with " I really like this bike and want to find a solution to this problem". I had a fuel pump problem right off the bat, BMW took care it, My rear hub was mismachined, I took care of that, my rear chain broke, I replaced it with the strongest chain I could buy, my shock bolt bent, I think I solved that "design flaw". I changed the seat to my personal preference. Some day I'll change the suspension to my needs as well.Do I l Like this bike? Hell no, I really like this bike. P.S. I'm older then your "old" mother.
    Cisco
  9. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    Survey from F800Riders.org

[​IMG]
  10. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Its the first year of the model. There are going to be issues. Anybody who thought that 100% of the bikes would be flawless obviously have no experience with 1st year models of any kind!

I love the bike, its everything I was looking for and more!
  11. doubleoh7

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  12. doubleoh7

Oddometer:

My kind of poll :clap
  13. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

You're not cool and hardcore enough to realize that the bike is not cool and hardcore enough.

:sarcasm
  14. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    At 11,000 miles now I've had a few of the common issues with the bike; stand, bearing, valve cover seepage... that doesn't make it a bad bike, just some quirks no different than the active air suspension issues etc on my Hummer.

I'm extremely pleased and there's no other bike on the current market that I would trade it for. Some guys I know that own them have some complaints and one of my friends went back to a 1200GS in short order.

By the same token, I'm not a very experienced or sophisticated rider but I've been able to enjoy multiple trip on and off road through Death Valley, Utah, AZ, Mojave, Big Sur and Alaska (AK on a rented F8). In all those trips it does everything I need and nothing I don't.

A more discerning / experience rider probably sees or feels subtle nuances that I don't even consider... and some people just like to pick everything apart.

The perfect bike? Maybe not! The perfect bike for me? Absofuckinglutely!

RobStar
  15. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Seems a little paranoid. I don't see many people bashing the bike. I DO see quite a few posts like this "Tell me I didn't FU by buying this bike please."

35 miles on dirt. Man, you ARE a stud.
  16. Sydney Rider

Sydney Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else...... let's see,

Bad:

Mine starts to vibrate at 3100 rpm then at 4100rpm I start to ride with my left hand off the bar and my right hand with two fingers on the lever and the ball of my hand on the throttle helper, this lets me ride 100klms before I have stop and have a cuppa and massage my hands back to life.

^^ Answer: BMW Australia say it's normal as does two different dealers so I will be living with this issue it seems. And I always like to stop for a cuppa along the way.

It's too heavy and I always worry about falling down.

^^ Answer: It weighed that much when I bought it so I have no excuses. I am a bit of a cr*p dirt rider and practice will make it better.

Bits have needed fixing like the rocker cover gasket and some other recalls.

^^ Taken care of by the dealer with a minimum of fuss.

Good:

Stock tires have been good so far.

^^ Answer: 13,000klms+ and I expect to get another 3000klms out of them. I try not to exceed their or my capabilities.

Fuel economy continues to get better.

^^ Answer: 160klms @ 110kph nearly fully loaded using 5.75l of fuel = 27kpl which is outstanding.

I can't stop riding it.

^^ Answer: This needs no answer really.

So for me there are good and back things about my F800GS but it wont stop me riding it - I even put up with the vibration.

Tony
  17. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    Don't get in over your head and you won't have any problems. I don't see that as bad I see that as poor judgement on the riders part. Research where you are riding before you go. If you think its too much then don't do it. If its right at your threashold, make sure you have a buddy to help you out and won't leave you in the dust!

Its all about planning. Yes there will be times that you can't plan on everything. That is part of the adventure and why you don't go off on you own!
  18. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Being a new model there are some problems, in two categories.

First design and build flaws, like the chain and the rear hub.

Secondly, I suspect that BMW underestimated the off road use this bike would get. If they had asked me my opinion (they didn't! :lol3) I would have said you need better quality suspension, tougher rims, wider gear ratios and the proper sump guard as standard. I would have also suggested an adjustable windscreen and at the very least a no cost option of Rallye, standard or low seat for the buyer. Oh well!:baldy

Despite all this the 800 is the best toy I've had to play with in a long time (that's not alive anyway!). Its pretty good on the road, handles well, feels much lighter than it really is, fantastically economical, powerful enough, and is good on anything resembling a "road".

It just seems to work better as a package than the sum of its parts. The more I ride it, the more I like it and the more I can see the potential of a true Dual Sport Bike. :clap
  19. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    They didn't and that is why its not called the Windows7GS! But you can continue to live the in commercial!
  20. doubleoh7

Oddometer:
    I did it in three minutes :evil