why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive was considering a F800GS, but am likely going for the 1150 or 1200GSA instead.

but i have noticed literally 10's of F800GS' for sale, all of which have VERY low milage. most with 1500kms or less.. the highest ive seen was one with 4000km. but every single one other than that was less than 1500. i even saw one in a dealer with 900km, it sold. then 2 weeks later the new owner was selling it again with 1200kms.

why are so many people buying this bike and then selling or trading it with such low miles? all the ones in the dealer i have seen have had less than 1100kms and have been traded in for a 1200GSA..

so what's wrong with them?
  2. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time I was at the dealer here in PA they didn't even have a new one in stock.
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    no they didnt have any new ones here either. they can get them but dont keep them in stock for the winter. but lots of used ones for sale in the local classifieds. and both local dealers have had 2 or 3 in the last month, all of which were traded for a 1200GSA..

i just found it odd so many people spend $14k+ on a bike only to get rid of it a few hours riding later.
  4. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    A search of Cycle Trader Online for the entire United States came up with 18 ads.

15 for new bikes, 2 for demo bikes and 1 used bike.

I have never seen a used one at my dealer and seldom see a New one.
  5. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Dunno. I love mine. Waaay more than my 1200GS.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    I'm not even sure I can come up with my ADVrider.com membership dues.

pennswoodsed likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    bike had alot of buzz and years of anticipation. so either early adopters found it wasn't for them, the poor economy hit or they're hearing about the issues coming up (i know a touchy subject) and are getting scared to own it.
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    as they say "it's the economy, stupid!" go on any harley forum.. same question being asked... I was on the FJR forum.. same question.. bikes are toys and when times are tough.. that monthly payment needs to go away.

for me, when I added the 800 to the stable, I eventually sold 2 other bikes because I was no longer riding them.. i'm lovin' the 800.
  10. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i dont see any economy problems here in Alberta, quite the opposite in fact for most people.. and like i said, quite the opposite, at least 70% of the ones ive seen have been sold to change for the 1200. so not a symptom of the economy..
  11. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I am thinking it is because the 800 is just not as good a highway bike as the 1200, especially in Alberta. Lots of long, boring roads and people driving at high speeds last time I was there. If I lived in Alberta again, I would be riding a K1300S or GT or something similiar and have a good used DR650 for the gravel stuff.
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    I had both the 1200 and 800 for a while.. the 1200 gs/a collected dust, i enjoyed riding the 800 a lot more.. so.. i sold it. :dunno
  13. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Please give us the links for the sellers' info. May be able to get a deal.

14. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Search kijiji.ca for Calgary and Edmonton. 3 or 4 on there in the last week. Argyll in Edmonton have 2 used ones.
  15. monkey-butt

monkey-butt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey this is Alberta: having lived and ridden here for the past 34 years, Calgarians especially have a thing for Fads. we used to have the most Corvette to ppl ratio in North America! Having seen many bikes that are 2 to 3 years old go on sale with only 5,000km on them, this does not seem unusual.
    The buyer probably caught a case of "MacGreggor Syndrome" Saw long way round and thought "hey that looks cool" then realized it takes more than just a bike to do that trip.
    But also as a Bike instructor I have seen students show up with absolutely no knowledge of what it takes to ride a very tall motorcycle. One fellow showed up with absolutely zero skills and physical aptitude. He was unable to even ride on one of the 125 training bikes. I had learned that he had purchased a 1200 GSA. He had loads of money and did not realize that the bike purchase was totally different from the BMW M-5 that he bought.

You see I have yet to see an M-5 tip over at a stop light.
    so my conclusion is, they bought it, realized they couldn't ride it and traded it for something smaller. Have seen it loads of times.
    just a guess.
  16. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen or heard of any at my dealer, and mine isn't going anywhere!

As some have said, it might be the economy, or maybe the current %3.95 financing offered at current inventory enticing people to move to something else. :dunno
  17. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you have to pay the Canadian trolls in play money to cross the bridge?

18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beats me, I love mine!! But that business about the height seems like a good guess. If I hadn't been used to 36" dirtbikes, I'd have a hard time handling the 800...
  19. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but he said they're trading up to the 1200 GS/GSA so that theory goes out the window for this case!
    My F8 is fun and use it more offroad but I find myself taking the GSA for most of my HWY rides and colder weather. F8 is cold to ride in this weather! Plus my front rim is bent!:baldy
  20. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold two bikes to get the F800GS....without doubt the F800GS is the most fun bike I've ever owned. Some people stay on the internet too much, "and just think they are thinking".