why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    If that's the case, the answer is obvious. The 1200 offers things the 800 doesn't. As much fun as the 800 was on the street, if dirt isn't a priority then a rider is missing half of what the bike is all about. I'm guessing these riders got caught up in the excitement and bought one, and after a few months of riding slab realized they would prefer something else.
  2. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, mines not for sale. Won't be for quite some time either.

They sold like hotcakes on the initial launch too, Blackfoot already had 25 comming in on pre-orders when I placed my order last October. It would not be suprising to see a few up for sale now. Many of those buyers could have been speculating on the bike and later either found it not to their liking. Some would find it a bit too off road and might thus prefer to migrate to the R1200GS (non Adventure model)which is a bit more road oriented.

Then there are those who just need more CCs to compensate for other personal shortages :lol3 Those are the same guys who need to drive the huge 4x4s with lift kits and monster tires just to commute around town.
  3. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I found two for sale on the location he indicated. Both yellow. One, with 4,500 kms, the owner claims has never been off road. The other, 1,500 kms, the owner claims he will buy a quad for the winter. None mentioned a 1200 GS.

4. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    It's part of the mad rush to buy a Buell Ulysses. You can always get an 800GS. Not the case with Buell.:cry
  5. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    I sold my R1100S to buy my 800GS. The R1100S has a solid touring history but I can tour farther and longer on my 800GS. With a good set of knobby tires, I can spend days in the forest riding single track in trials riding fashion or ripping up an abandoned railway line at highway speeds. This bike does more than any other bike I have ever owned.

If you are finding many for sale at a decent price, buy one!
  6. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    fixed :pot
  7. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who cares why? Take advantage and get one!
  8. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would but they are priced about the same as a new one. barely any saving at all.. new one would be about $14k depending on the options. cheapest used one i've seen is $13k..

and i much prefer the 1200 or 1150gsa, so thats what im going for.
  9. Claudellvonhop

Claudellvonhop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, the lovely Alberta tar sands economy:huh... 12GSA holds and consumes much more of your refined fossil products. An easy choice for jingoistic, two wheel enthuiasts in your neck of the woods.
  10. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    Actually, natural gas sales to the US(PNW in particular) generate more revenue than the oil sands in Alberta.

Earl
  11. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
  13. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    If I sell my 800, it will be because it simply isn't up to the job I had planned for it. It remains to be seen whether I can make this bike work for me and not break it. I do love the bike, but it isn't turning out to be as tough as nails. The mistake could have been mine, but I feel I researched the bike as much as possible at the time. It was a very new model when I purchased mine.
    I would gladly pay more for a bike as tough as a big KTM, with the same ergos and sweet motor as the 800. Give me some good suspension and the frame to hold it all together and you will have a winner.
  14. Claudellvonhop

Oddometer:
  15. big adv

Oddometer:
    Yes, over all we export more in crude oil(both derived from the oil sands and from the ground) than from gas. But that is not what I said. Try a little harder and read the link you post.:deal

Also the choice of word that you used to describe those of us in this part of the world is quite apropos coming from an American:2guns

As to the OP, probably seeing a few of these bike for sale now that winter is apon us, people tend to list bikes this time of year on specutation, thus the high asking price. Also last I heard, back last Nov. when I was thinking of getting a F800GS, Blackfoot had orders for 44 bikes. So 3-4 up for sale a year later is not surprising. The R1200GSAdv is a great bike, had one, its a cantankerous vessel of distilled dinosaur liquid goodness. Just dont venture to far off road and you will love it. :D

Earl
  16. Claudellvonhop

Oddometer:
    :amazon
    Touche. Earl - just some gentle ribbing for those apparantly unaffected by Global recession (per creator of this ridiculous thread)... I toured your great province last summer and liked it so much that I'm looking for a Canadian wife:D. BTW, I was on 8GS and it's not for sale.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try to excuse the "ugly american". I spent a week in Calgary and had a great time. Very interesting city and great people. I did get to Blackfoot and was treated well there...even though I was "just looking".
  18. big adv

Oddometer:
    You just want our health care:wink::lol3

Earl
  19. Claudellvonhop

Oddometer:
    That and more of this... (Thread officially high-jacked)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. josh9399

josh9399 Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got mine mid 09 it was used. The dude traded it in at 180 miles for a 1200 GS ( I think he was OLD!) haha. Anyways I got it for 10k. Had to drive to Ft. Lauderdale to get it tho, no 800GSs anywhere in the southeast at the time.

It's not for sale. I would trade it for a newer 1200GSA tho (even trade that is)

Nice pics !