why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Mista Toad

Mista Toad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone has their own reasons for selling...for me, I bought the bike after 6 years owning a business that was sucking my life dry about 350 days a year. So I sold it, bought my F800GS and travelled around North America for the past 4 months (and counting)...now I need to, um, get out of Never Never Land and think about getting a job again. 13,000 miles down and about 3,000 to go. Once I get back to Austin, I'll have to sell it.

Even though I love that bike and found it the most versatile bike I've owned, I have to sell it while it's relatively newish just cuz I could use the dough. I'll buy an '06-'07 F650GS Dakar... It won't be so great on the highway miles, but I'm going to be working and not traveling...so it is more for trails and around town riding.

I just need the $4k-$5k. In a couple years I'll probably buy another 800, either the '09 that I had or whatever the current version will be. I know I'm gonna miss the power and versatility, but...whatever, I wouldn't trade my summer and fall traveling on my F800GS for anything...

So, for the OP, just cuz they're being sold, it doesn't mean there are any problems with them or anything like that.
  2. atoms

atoms drunk

Oddometer:
    boring AND hideously ugly
  3. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    They can take mine when they pry it from my cold, dead hands!
  5. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OP is obviously a troll. Anyone who has ridden this bike has fallen in love, myself included. The brotherhood will figure out how to fix the issues, and life will be very good. It is a "kickass" motorcycle. The bitch broke my leg, and I am still in love.
  6. FinnDuro

FinnDuro Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer:
    This closely sums up my feelings, too. In the end, I didn't feel the bike was quite up to the dirt job I intended it for. I was probably asking a bit too much of it, so my mistake, in a way. I knew I was headed for total suspension revamp with the F8GS, but then backed off and got myself the big dirt gun: KTM 950 Super Enduro. End of story.
  7. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a first! They must be going through hard times...I usually hear negative comments about Blackfoot! I bought my KLR there in 97 from AJ in the old shop when they were good, but was treated rudely more than once when they moved in the new shop. Never go back there again!
  8. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think your feelings are accurate relative to the as delivered state of the machines. I've had the chance to spend seat time on both the 950SE and a couple of 990's. I liked them, but they did not stir my soul.
  9. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not a troll. I asked a question because I am genuinely suprised atthe numbers of these bikes I have seen for sale with basically zero use. And even more suprised that all the ones the dealers have had have been traded for a 1200. However they do always sell within days at the dealer. I have never seen any other bike for sale in such numbers with consistantly low milage. I found it strange.
    I did also wonder if all the reported problems are scaring people away from them. I'm not saying it's a bad bike. In fact should the right deal not come up for me on a 1200 I might still get one. Hence I want to know all the negatives so I can make an informed purchase and not be one of the people selling it 1000 km's later.
    I have obviously touched a nerve by asking this. But isn't that what this forum is for. Because even if you love your bike. All have problems.
  10. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

The problem is you violated one of the fundamental rules. :gerg If you even suggest that a BMW has issues, people will get offended. BMW motorcycles are perfect and never have issues. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be.:wink:
  11. The Griz

Oddometer:
    The reason you get called this is because you have no proof. We're just supposed to believe one guy (you) on an internet forum that there are hundreds if not thousands of F800GS's for sale? With no proof? Show me some pics from this one dealer's used F800GS stock, and the odometers on them that show low miles, and we'll believe you. In the meantime, the rest of us all over North America are going to believe what we see with our own eyes in our cities' BMW Motorrad dealerships: no used F800GS's in stock, only new 2010's, if that even.

Click the North American and Canadian Craigslist F800GS search link I posted earlier. You'll see what I mean. To be honest, I see more 'wanted' ads for F800GS's on Craigslist than anything!
  12. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems true.
    I know when I test rode one in Edmonton a few weeks ago there was nothing wrong with the bike. But it didn't inspire me either, it left me feeling like it's a good bike but had no lasting memory of how great it was. Howeever the 1200 GSA I rode strict afterwards did have that inspiring wow factor. I can't really say why, but there was something. I think to be fair to the 800 the test ride was not set up well for it. I was riding very gently on unfamiliar roads. And I've got a feeling the 800 comes alive when you ride it a but harder. Whereas the 1200 feels great to just cruise around on.
  13. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Argyll BMW in Edmonton had two last week. Both have sold again. Both had less than 1500 km's. No longer on the site but phone them if you are that interested. Ask for Greg. He let memtake one of them for a test ride. Blackfoot in Calgary had one 3 weeks ago. 900 km's. Sold it within a week.
    Kijiji Edmonton has two that have been for sale for months. Both unsold. Kijiji Calgary has had 3 or 4 in the last month. Some are still on there I think. Kijiji Regina has one with 700 km's. Bought from Calgary in may.

They seem to resell very quickly in the dealers. Not so privately. I'm not trying to argue. And I didn't make this up as some weird Internet joke. I'm genuinely interested as to why so
    many get sold on so quickly. Because I don't want to fall into the same trap.
  14. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:

Is it just me or are you calling him a Liar? Next thing you're going to tell us is that there's no such thing as Santa, Easter bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I don't think I could handle that news!
  15. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Well I hate to break it to you, man, but.... Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy don't exist. I know, it's hard news to swallow.:2cry......just like there's no more used F800GS's for sale out there than any other make/model.
  16. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Don't they come with heated grips?
  17. WOLVERINE

Oddometer:
    Maybe he doesn't know about em:rofl

I love my F8. Only wish it didn't have an engine knock but that's what earbuds and Music is for. It has character now with my front bent rim fixed with an adjustable wrench and plastic head hammer. Doesn't look pretty but WTF, I still love the bike!
  18. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    backing away from the flame-fest...

It sounds like, based on what the OP has written, is that nearly all of those rapid trades were to move up to 12GSs, which to me says, it was just not the right bike for THOSE riders, who evidently wanted more road comfort above other concerns. I only really ever miss my 12 during longer highway rides.
  19. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    S'up comrades?

I do get the feeling that to merely ask or suggest that there are issues is to invite certain doom--so flame away or maybe take my question, please. I'm thinking hard 'bout the F800GS.

I've got a DL650 which I bought before I knew it would land me with a label as to my personal characteristics and preferences.

It's been great, 19000 miles so far and zero issues. I don't pick up on the "boring bike" shit--I think that's for riders more skilled than I, I twist almost any throttle and get a thrill.

BUT, life bein' too short to buy the same bike twice I'm looking for what's next. The DL will have close to 60,000 miles on it by this time next year.

The F800GS is very appealing, just concerned about some things I've heard (generalized QC comments) and seen (cracks around the fuel tank, nuts and bolts issues)...are these just anecdotal or are they really sorting QC stuff?

I'm used to about 3 days at the dealer in the last 70,000 miles of riding various wheels...what am I in for?
  20. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...I don't do a lot usually...but they do come up...interesting...

Hi Money! :wave