why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Your post should have a sticky at the top of this forum, Joel. Nicely written!

David
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't there a rash of advertisements lately that were total scams, specifically regarding the 800GS? I think it's likely this is what the OP has come across and is perhaps being misled?

:dunno
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 . . . and copied in to every other thread that appears over and over and over again.:thumb:thumb:thumb
  4. ]I)Money

]I)Money D NOT I Supporter

Oddometer:
    In fairness, that is almost entirely about the seat, which for me, is painful at about the 100 mile mark. I already have a second seat to send off, if I can gather the bux.
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great post Joel. Seriously. +1
  6. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the first time I have seen a straightforward response to concerns that I have had regarding any of the issues you addressed. If BMW had taken this position and informed their dealers and their spokesman at BMW NA of the issues and more importantly what is being done about it, then Yahoo's like me would not be making snide remarks about the company.
    It is a hell of a lot better than the, "I have never heard of this, we make superior motorcycle", responses that I have gotten.
  7. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much Joel. That's really good. Best and most straightforward response I've ever read too.

The first 2 paragraphs describe human nature and personalities on both sides. People with a "hole in their soul" manifest it no matter what they're compensating for.

But I digress...I thank you. Awesome write up. Leaves me with the impression that my Jap bike is a metaphor of my 10 years at Toyota--they build cars that could live their entire life outside the dealer because the innards were a precisely manufactured timepiece that bored the shit out of me....while the Camaros I drove, while less reliable had spirit.

Not exactly applicable--I know--but German engineering and driving competence exceeds their QC while the opposite is true of Japanese products, IMO...

We'll see, 25,000 miles is the most I've ever put on a Suzuki...next year when I'm approaching 60 I think I'll give the ol' F800GS a try--because as you've pointed out, BMW is sorting those early issues--and with that done there is no reason to buy anything else.

Thanks again.
  8. cisco

cisco old fat guy

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is a bike to replace the F800GS. This bike has the perfect engine, just the right amount of power, and the right kind. Every time I ride this bike I think " what a SWEET bike".
    Cisco
  9. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

This is kind of off topic but honestly I am repeatedly shocked when people comment on the seat being uncomfortable. The stock BMW seat is the most comfy, cushy, supple, compliant, ass pleasure inducing seat I have ever ridden on a motorcycle... In fact it was too comfortable for me and I had to buy the low seat to feel some connection with the bike.

Of course my opinion is influenced by the fact I have only ridden an SV650S and dirt bikes in my life before I got the F8 but... lol

Can someone recommend a dual sport bike with a better stock seat I can sit on to get some comparison? Or is the only real option for gluteus maximus ecstasy an aftermarket solution?
  10. The Griz

Oddometer:
    One thing I really like about this bike too is the power. I like the shocked look on the helmet-strapped-to-the-side-of-the-bike-while-riding-crotch-rocket riders faces when I twist the throttle on it and leave 'em in the dust.:ricky

I don't recall ever needing to open the throttle all the way on this bike, even in highway speed quick-pass situations.
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Been to Blackfoot once (shortly after I arrived in Alberta in 06) and their attitude then cost them a potential customer. Yes I was only pricing a cpl parts ($800.00 fuel tank) and yes I only spent a cpl hundred dollars that day, but their attitude in late July of 06 cost them the sale of a new Wee in Febuary of 07. Someone on this forum sent me a link that Blackfoot had the Wee "on sale" for $8500 and I headed to GW Cycle and asked what the Wee would cost. They gave me the same price without me even mentioning Blackfoots ad :thumb

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, EnderTheX. I always have to scratch my head when I read other rider's posts saying that the first thing they had to do to the bike is replace the seat. I've got an AirHawk left over from my old Wee that I never felt the need to put on F800. I guess I must have a Germanic ass or something. :kat

David
  13. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I've put in a few long days on my F8 and I am always surprised by the comfort of the seat. Everyone is different I suppose, and small changes in geometry can have a pronounced effect in that area.

I too find the power on the F8 to be just right. Some guys have complained about abrupt throttle response off idle being a problem in technical terrain, and I can understnad that, but have not been particulrly bothered by it. I've had mine up Lippincott Road in Death Valley which has a lot of "pick and chose" areas, and I found the F8 fine (despite dumping it three times in the process). None of the dumps was directly related to throttle response - just operator error.
  14. Moab

Moab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap
  15. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm use dto the seat on my 450XCR-W which is the closest thing to a 2X4 on a bike, so the F800GS seat seems like a couch to me :D
  16. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    :huh

Far be it for me to defend squids, but methinks you might want to revisit the lesson on reading facial expressions. You might beat a 500 noob sportbike if the rider isn't on it, but there's no way you're leaving a race rep crotch rocket in the dust unless you're talking off road!
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Ok, Mr. Persnickety (:D ), I'll re-word my post just for you:

What I meant is not that the F800GS is more powerful than a race-ready crotch rocket, that would be absurd. Rather that the no-helmet-wearing-ass-clowns-with-matching-bike-and-clothing look at it and expect it to be far less powerful than it actually is. Therefore the no-helmet-wearing-dusch-bags tend to relax their riding style. And that's when I lay into it on the F800GS, and they get the look of shock like, "wow that thing can actually go!"
  18. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  19. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    Nice! I did that on mine! It looks like the BMW rider training... The instructor couldn't believe how well the F800GS did!
  20. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Meh...there's a lot of ways to spin it...but let's not delusional! :lol3. The crappy suspension and bus like steering of the GS aren't exactly setting the gold standard.

Unless you're on a goat trail, the GS won't stand a chance at the limit. Of course, most sane riders don't go anywhere near the limit, so the 'who's faster' game is really just a game of 'who's stupider'?:1drink:wink::huh