why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I heartily agree with Joel! My passion for riding has led me to the hundreds of Texas backroads within a days ride of Dallas and I regularly ride over 300 miles a weekend. The roads are bumpy and only a fool would push their bike to the limit. I know the roads well so I get to push my SV650S to its limits. When I took my F8 out on the same roads I felt a lot more comfortable and I was literally laughing at how easy it is to carve these hill country roads.

When I was in NM in the Gila national forest a couple sport bikes wizzed past and I decided to have some fun. Fully loaded I kept up with them for a couple miles but they started crossing the double yellow trying to gain some ground so I backed off and went back to enjoying the scenery. This bike truely can do it all!

P.s. I typed this entire message with my thumbs on my new Droid phone lol
  2. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    The latest issue of Cycle News (#45), November 12, has a nice write up on the F800GS. Nothing we all don't already know.
  3. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    #4: The point of my post...which was mothng less than the age old "it's the rider not the bike":lol3

And where did the shock bolt thing come from?
  4. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Can yas sanity test my take aways:

• QC issues are being dealt with, making them non-issues in '10
    • Longer highway stints might make you consider the 1200GS as an alternative (seat and windshield being primary concerns?)...(I find myself doing 600 slab miles a week in addition to bombing all the dirt I can find around)

• Plenty power, electrical output
    • Luggage capability is equal to 1200GS
    Some additional questions--is that a 525 chain? How do you feel about ease of adjusting, etc. Equal to every other chain driven machine out there? PITA enough to make you wish it was a shaftie?
  5. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chain is a non-issue and easily fixable on the road. A shaft drive failure is a much bigger deal. Over three decades of riding road and dirt I have never been stranded by a chain or sprocket failure. Miantenance is higher for the chain, but it is not a significant issue.
  6. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me, the seat was a pain in the arse, literally. It was easily and inexpensively replaced (Sargent). The windshield is a non-issue for me. I've done lots of >800-km days at high-speed with the stock shield. When I can get away with it, I'll happily run at 130-140 km/h, with stints up to 175, fully-loaded (the bike, not me). I keep reading about all these people replacing their shields. I'm not going to bother; it'd be a waste of my money. Sure the wind hits me in the face. But it's clean and smooth. Of course, my wife occasionally calls me "no-neck", so maybe I've just managed to develop neck and shoulder muscles that are up to the task :lol3
  7. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Thanks much. Going to be fun deciding this....I was talking to Ben on email and Steve (maxbmw) on the phone about the K1300GT...that would be a total departure.
  8. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I do not own a 800 gs. I ride a 1200 gsa. I love this picture.
  9. EasyJet_RC

EasyJet_RC Joyrider

Oddometer:
    :dunno

Just completed a most enjoyable 3 weeks to Perth and Back - Did over 9k km's - no issues only fun riding...

Did 17K since Late July and are loving it...
  10. MoBill

Oddometer:
    I know it's a bit off topic, but coming back here since we've had a good discussion.

After looking this over for the last few weeks I've realized something. I've got a completely unrealistic (but almost non-negotiable) expectation for fuel capacity.

I guess I gotta give my Suzuki kudos for the 240-260 mile range (5.8G) I've got.

Couple that with the desire/need to do the occasional 800 mile day and I think the GSA is the ticket.

That's a big nut. My single track riding is done on a WR, so I guess I can suck up that weight.

Fuel tank upgrade is an option...just thinking.
  11. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Um, just looking for over 200. Didn't say anything about more. When you've got it, you kinda don't want to give it up. It's silly...yes. But it's two days worth of gas to and from work. Up and back, up and back, then gas. When you're a couple of years deployed and then out of the house 12-14 hours a day every minute is precious. I hate gassin' up every day.

So that Touratech tank looks good. It's GSA or 800GS with the bigger tank....can't tell you how man times that extra 40-50 miles has been critical. I might not be savin' lives but sometimes I'm riding with enough urgency to make that extra gas stop more than a pain in the ass.

Just thinkin' this out.
  13. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think that extra fuel would make the handling pretty crappy, especially offroad. Not sure what type of riding you're thinking of... The ease of handling for it's weight is one of the things i enjoy about the bike.
  14. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Indy's suggestion...and I mentioned it off hand. Not really interested in putting in higher capacity tank.

Not my thing to do an update like that...unless it's a bike like my WR.

I do mild off road with my commuter and am currently racking up about 30,000 miles a year. So, an extra gallon of gas gets me two days without a fill up. It's a GD grind.
  15. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I misunderstood the 800 mile day comment MoBill.
    When I am cruising at 60 mph I can go 225 miles on my tank and still have a 1/2 gallon left in her.
    I once babied her to 239 miles to get gas and I was not quite bone dry. 250 is the true limit for these bikes if you are easy on the throttle and speed.
    Try slowing down and nursing the throttle to get the mileage you want for the commute.:1drink
  16. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brother.

The NJ Turnpike where I commute is pretty mild IMO, but you'd better keep it up at around 80 to stay in the Zen of flow. :D

The 800 works, I'm just mulling this over in my mind. You know how you get used to certain things...240 miles at 75-85 is not a problem. No chain to maintain on the GSA, range and versatility...but that weight. I ride alone 99% of the time. I'd hate to be leg pressing that beast in the soft stuff.

Anyway, more thoughts on the 800s front tire size for highway stability? Non-factor? I really like the 17" minimum for popping over obstacles, but just thinking if I'll miss that 17" tire.
  17. MikeinSA

MikeinSA Village Idiot Supporter

Oddometer:

You brought up a few good points. I've got an 800 and am definitely at my limit pressing the thing up in soft stuff. For me, it would be about impossible to get a heavier bike up in sand or a bad gravel wash. I get a light front end wobble when I'm in traffic (truck wind) or if I'm going above around 80 (passing). It's not terrible, but is noticeable. I wouldn't choose this bike as a daily highway commuter if I had to go over about 30 miles each way. I think you're going to have 'wind management' issues. I tried a few different high shields and couldn't live with the buffeting. I found that the only solution was to go with a shorter shield and quit trying to push the wind over my head. Hope this helps!
  18. MoBill

Oddometer:
    That helps a ton. I'm walking away from this discussion thinking that I'm in GSA territory for my needs--with the only bad news being the price and weight.

Awesome thread, thanks for letting me hijack, and thanks for taking my questions and thinking them through with me. I love this place.
  19. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i tested the 800 and the 1200GSA.. the GSA felt lighter and better handling in the corners on road. the 800 felt cumbersome to me in comparison. im sure it will feel heavier off road sometimes. but all the weight seems a lot lower down..

my 1200GSA is being delivered on tuesday. :clap im very happy i went with it over the 800. if i had of got the 800 i would have always wished id just accepted the extra cost and got the 1200... i was trying to like the 800 to save a lot of cash, but it just didnt do it for me.
  20. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Good stuff.

The F800's vs 1200GSA cost is a factor, but I can swing it when it's time.

I think it boils down to range (that's a concern for the next 3-4 years, then it's back to intermittant long distance and daily short distance) but mainly to higher speed melt the miles capability with milder off road capacility.

The WR250R is my choice when I know I'm hitting sand or technical stuff. So the GSA would see more road and fire road miles than anything else.

Thanks everybody.

Good luck with the GSA crunchie.