why are so many people selling their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by crunchiespg, Nov 14, 2009.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're not.
  2. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    the f800gs is the only available bike similar in anyway to the honda africa twin.

although in no way 'perfect' the africa twin was and is an awesome all round motorcycle.

daily commute, fun in the twisties, trail-riding days, off-road multi day trips, desert trips, massive overland expeditions for multiple years..........

our company speculated on making parts for this bikes as we believed BMW had made a bike to TAKE the africa twins place. I dont see an alternative (and the US never got it, but you guys need that type of scoot more than anywhere!).

the other important point is that im sure we are in the early days of this bikes story. Its going to be around for a while and im sure will improve without changing fundamentally.

id love to see honda bring a new AT but realistically im not waiting, so the f800gs is the one.
  3. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    With the stock tires (not switched to knobbies yet) I found that running the PSI on the high end of the range really changed the feel on the highway. I was surprised how a few PSI changed the feel on the road.
  4. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:

perfect!! +5:D
  5. OnT0ur

OnT0ur OnTh'RoadAgin

Oddometer:
    Not to get all judgemental here but: When I think of all the folks who by a BMW (great bikes for sure) and I realize that most of the one's I know bought it because of the name and the image as evidenced by their riding skills and attitude (...with a definite and notable exception of a few great riders, and you know who you are...:D ) I suspect that a few folks in the former group buy the F800 because of the price and the fact that it looks very good. But in the end they sell it because what they really wanted was the 595+ lb R1200GS Adventure with the guards, extended fuel tanks, ABS, built in GPS, alarm, and heated seats, grips, yahh yahh... largely because they buy for the image and the brag... You can see it when these dudes are surprised by how many times they have yanked a turn without signaling or watching the shock and awe of dropping and skidding it on a dirt road or when they get upset when someone parks too close. Or look at you blankly when your trying to suggest counter steering... Entertaining at best. Not that I'm getting all high-ass here, typically I will ride with almost anybody, but it is interesting how for some people, the type of bike they ride is just an extension of the message they are broadcasting to the world. --And yet for others they just ride for the ride... on anything that isn't seized and has good tires. For me, I am considering selling my two bikes and picking up an F800gs cause that bike gives me perma-grin for all the right reasons-- technical and aesthetic. I like the fact that it's fast, capable, light, and comes in yellow more than the fact that its a BMW.
  6. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Find me a motorcyclist who claims to not 'broadcast a message', and I'll show you a liar.

As with most things in life, it's all marketing.
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Go ahead and call me a liar then. It would only make you one.

I remove nameplates and badges from my bikes. I remove patches and advertisements from my riding gear. (Whenever it does not compromise the functionality of the garment)

If companies want me to advertise for them then they will need to pay me.

I ride because I like riding. I have no idea what the hell you are talking about when you say: "...broadcast a message" I ride and don't give a rip what others think about it.
  8. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Don't bother with bxr140 my friend. His primary function on this forum is to get a rise out of people.
  9. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Why so hostile?

If you think your badgeless look isn't proclaiming your intent and your mindset to the rest of the world, I don't know what to say. It's not an insult, man, it's reality. Did you actually read the post I was responding to? My point was that it's stupid and hypocritical to judge someone as an image whore simply because they ride a BMW. That's BS, as EVERYONE has some concious look going on.

Griz, as usual, grow up. You're not even good at trolling.
  10. The Griz

Oddometer:
    What'd I tell ya? It's bxr140's way or the highway. AS USUAL.:dunno

And FYI, trolling and helping some one out are two distinctly separate things. I'm doing nothing but the later.
  11. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:
    "I know you are, but what am I?"

"I ride because I want to ride..... "

"I'm not like all you posers...."

"I'm cool, a regular Steve McFuckingQueen"

whatever, fucking cool guys.
  12. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Right on.
  13. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Funny, that's almost verbatim what I had in my post before I deleted it. :deal Having an image (or purposely not having an image) is not a bad thing. It happens every day, whether you're on a KLR, are ATGATT, or you have a personalized tag under your handle on ADV. Elevating yourself above someone else because of the image they portray is a different story.

Ironically, The Griz's presence in this discussion mirrors that subject matter quite well.

DJ--whether or not you meant it, that's exactly my point.
  14. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    You FFs are lousing up a good thread.

There was a really good exchange here and people actually contributing. All you're doing is running your sucks.

Take your BS over to Jo Momma, insults and personal attacks belong there. There's no place for 'em here in Beasts or the other Riding or Bikes forums. I know some of you are new, but catch a clue--there is some protocol, even here.

Shut up and take it somewhere else.
  15. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I have a suggestion for the mods. Rather than moving a thread to Jo Momma, which seems to be what some want simply come in and delete the offending posts and leave the thread to continue the valid discussion as before.

If these off topic posts began to disappear people would quit making them.
  16. capt_enduro

capt_enduro tool whore

Oddometer:
    So, to get this thing back on track...

Sell it? Aw, hell no.

After five months as a weekday daily driver and weekend pack horse, I still get that ear-to-ear grin. Every time. I have a better trail bike for the single track stuff, and have ridden plenty of faster bikes - but this one is such a good fit. Hell of a good camping bike. Did nine hours in the saddle from the ATL through Tennessee to North Carolina to ride the Cherohala Skyway and up through US 129 a couple of weeks ago. The low seat worked great, but my knees are the limiting factor (no highway pegs on this bird, no way...).

It's got just enough power, but not too much. I'd like a less snatchy throttle map, though. There's a stretch of road by my place where if I time it right, I can get around that corner and pull the throttle WFO for a half a mile or so. Loft the front wheel just a bit through a couple of gears then work it up to 90 or 100 before my turn off. Love the way the bike "barks" when you stoke it. Bua ha ha ha!

...that being said - It's a hoot just to put around on too. Back roads, fire roads, out of the way places...

Gonna be 24F tomorrow. Still can't wait to jump on it and give it a go.

:D
  17. The Griz

Oddometer:
    You elevate yourself above virtually everyone on this forum daily, bxr140. That is the sole reason I started showing up on this thread again. Because the 'subject matter' included you talking down to people all day again and getting them all worked up for your enjoyment again. All I'm here for is to make sure people are aware of your intentions, as I've gotten the brunt of them in the past.
  18. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

I like the way you say it "barks" when you stroke it lol. I have my Akrapovic slip on sans silencer and it sounds NICE :lol3. I usually give just a touch of throttle when I am starting from first and during gear changes to give that "bark" for my own amusement and other people's. I don't think the bike is loud enough to annoy people, I like to think everyone who enjoys things in life will enjoy hearing it :clap.

I've been riding all week here in Texas in sub freezing temps, my record low on my F800GS is 23.0 deg F!!!!

Also... on a side note, the guy who cuts all his labels off is posing the biggest message of anyone out there (basically a fuck you to corporate america and advertisements). It is the person who buys random cheap gear/bikes from his local store because it is convenient, rides a stock bike and never says a word that is not voicing an opinion. I'm sure none of us fall into that category otherwise we wouldn't be on this site.
  19. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Ahem...the quote was "stoke", not "stroke". :rofl

:freaky
  20. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska