Why? Because I can. An ongoing F800 project.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GregCo3000, Mar 2, 2016.

1. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the sort of guy who loves his '11 F800GS, but is never quite happy enough. But thats more of an internal flaw of mine over a problem with the bike. So, I figure I should start cataloging some of my work. I think you'll dig some of it.
  2. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last summer, I built a luggage system around 3 pelican cases and a rotopax tank. My photos are limited, but I took a 12,000 mile tour around North America and it help up great.
    It's a 304 stainless tube structure with a variety of waterjet cut gussets and tabs. Uses only factory mounting points.

Up front, I made a double duty crash bar/highway peg setup. 4130 chromoly tube with kevlar-reenforced nylon pegs turned on a CNC lathe at work.

Attached Files:

3. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's one of my first projects in the winter of 2014/15 after I picked up the bike.
    These are some super shorty levers with ball bearings at all pivots. CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum on my HAAS at work. They are very stiff and solid - no bouncing around, no play. The clutch is a workout in the whoops though. Working on a version two for this season.

Attached Files:

4. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This winter, I decided to reconfigure the front end. I started by doing the fork conversion. My doners were from a '99 Husqvarna. Here's a couple photos of the fixture I made on/for my bridgeport mill for the leg boring operation. I also turned some caps on my lathe for the old fork legs to accept the BMW cartridges. Now I have some legs for a future unknown project (Honestly, probably a hipster bike flip for a little extra cash in my pocket).

Attached Files:

5. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next, I picked out my new head lamps - a Hella 90mm halogen projector low beam and a 120mm xenon driving lamp for my high beam. Instead of the parking light, I'll just setup a little red LED on the dash. While I ultimately decided against this orientation, I did make a pretty cool bracket for them. It's 0.065" 304 stainless cut on a waterjet then bent in a brake and welded.

Attached Files:

6. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next, I got a couple big pieces of aluminum and some Husqvarna plastics - A 2015 fender and fork leg gaurds from Acerbis. I love Husky's styling and hope to add a Husky to the stable one day.
    With all the pieces together, I modeled new crowns and programmed the Haas. These pictures show some of the machining process, and post-ops on my bridgeport at home. Cutting the steer-tube clamp slit with a slitting saw is a really terrifying process, but with lots of light cuts and plenty of cutting fluid, it turned out great.
    I brush blasted the finished parts and brought them in for a black anno finish. Finally, I setup one more time on the bridgeport to finish dimension the clamp bores. Our CNC mill at work isn't the best, so I don't trust the roundness or precision required for the clamping interfaces. I chose to clean them up with my boring bar at home.

Attached Files:

7. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More crown pics.

Attached Files:

8. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time for some bar clamps. I machined the standoffs at home out of 2" round stock aluminum. I started with machining some flats on the ends of the stock. This will help register the part when I flip it later. Next I bored the clamping surface the machined flats which will be the sides of the clamps. Then I split the stock in half at the bore and turned a taper and through bolt hole on the, now, two parts. The top clamp is one piece which I machined on the HAAS cnc. It has a hole pattern for my Garmin mount and is otherwise only exceptional in it's fancy looks. This was all bead blasted and anno'd aswell.

Attached Files:

9. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More clampy pics.

I also made custom stainless hardware that passes through my silicone vibration damping stack. Turned on the HAAS cnc, these have an M10 internal thread and I used a rotary broach to put an 8mm hex on the cap side. The top nut for the steering tube is very similar, but has an M20x1 male thread.

Attached Files:

10. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    fill out that profile
  11. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Buddy :)
  12. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Can't wait to see the finished project.
  13. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mad machining skills. I'm a mechanical designer who uses Autodesk Inventor every day at work. I can model just about anything up and make nice drawings, but I have no machining skills or equipment. I have to pay others to realize my fancy parts :-(
  14. Tyrann

Tyrann n00b

Oddometer:
    awsome
  15. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welp, Philly strikes again. Stolen two weeks ago. Here's where I ended up.
    Looking at a 650X Challenge now. I figure I can knock 20lbs off it in no time...

Attached Files:

klimtachakka likes this.
  16. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I feel so worked up when motorcycles get stolen. A motorcycle is more personal to someone compared to a car. Hope you get some decent money from insurance.
    kiwimichel likes this.