Why can't BMW make a seat??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BlackdogADV, Nov 22, 2009.

1. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW seats suck. Great bike but bad seats. I'm speaking of both the 1200 and 800 GS's. Most every owner has to get a custom seat to survive. After spending nearly 20K on a new bike why should you have to replace the seat? When you buy a car do you have all the seats replaced?

I have a 1200GS. I had to buy a $400 Seargent seat for it to be comfortable.

I also have a Buell XB12XT, it has a very comfortable seat. The Buell cost half as much as the BMW.

WTF?
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    :tough

Its a bike made for adventure riding not lounging around watching tv. I have no problems with the seat I regularly do hundreds of miles with the shaved low seat.

Maybe a goldwing would suit you best.
  3. josh9399

josh9399 Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You aren't kiddin' !

I can't last more than an hour on the stock 800 seat. I bought a grannie seat cushion and that puts the limit up to 2 hours. Sad for sure but the rest of the bike makes up for it !

Those Buells are sweet looking bikes.............
  4. josh9399

josh9399 Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much do you weigh? You too XB12R?

I weigh 225ish and I'm betting that makes a difference.
  5. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 185. I've had many bikes in the past, never had a problem. The old air heads had nice seats, I put 53,000 on my R100RS and was very comfortable. Go to an Adventure ralley, you'll see Sargents, Meyers, Cobrin, and others. Few like the stock seat.
  6. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe they spend absolutely nothing on the seat because you bastards are too fussy and they just gave up, knowing full well it'll be replaced anyway. :dunno
  7. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Well, I had serious issues with BMW seats back in the 1100 era, but have no seat problems with BMW's owned since 2005... R12GS, R12GSADV, R1200RT, etc. They work really well for me. Zero issues with the Uly as well. 6'4", 200lbs.
  8. arjen

arjen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seats are made to look nice. Sitting well is second priority. Designers allways win from testriders..... BMW is not the only one who does that. Same goes for windscreens.....
  9. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually the regular height BMW seat for 800GS "works" great you can slide back on it, grab the tank with no problems and stand easily, just isn't a nice cushy saddle like most people want.
  10. DocW

DocW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha probably the truest statement of all, given that one man's Corbin is another man's brick!

Personally I like the stock adventure seat, done plenty of long days on it, but my choice is mainly because I'd rather spend the cash on fuel than a better seat, and go out riding!

Really, given that there is no one seat that we can all agree on liking, BMW really had an impossible task!
  11. jensht

jensht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in as well. Aftger about 2 hrs it starts getting uncomfortable, same goes for the wife on the back.
    Bike - F 650 GS (Twin) regular seat.
    Me - 181cm (6') and 66 kg (145 lbs).
  12. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I agree with this statement. That is, it is an adventure bike. Some of the aftermarket seats I've seen may transform these bikes onto a cruiser bike. Since i ride off road, and I need to move around a lot and sometimes stand up, original seats suit me fine. And although I have low inseam (31) I still like seats to be tall, which makes it easier to ride enduro style and keeps knees in better shape in the long term.

Your mileage obvious will vary. :D

Lion
  13. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Man, you are a skinny bastard! :rofl
    (people instead of shaving weight on their bikes should get on a diet and be more like you - to me it would be a weight savings of 50 pounds. Or I'm a fat bastard):cry
    :D

14. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Fang it!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy am i hearin ya... sitting on my F650GS seat is like sitting on a brick...shit its uncomfortable.
    Now the new Tenere seat, that's comfortable!!:thumbup
  15. jensht

jensht Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe that is my problem, not enough padding on my ass :lol3
  16. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/IMG] borrowed this from uk gsers bmw made this!
  17. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I've done successive 1,000+ days on my stock GSA seat, it wasn't too bad.

A couple of "penny" mods helped me a ton, specifically a beaded seat cover and a sheepskin. I found the key was every few hours to switch things around--ride the OEM seat alone for a few hours, when I stop for gas I throw on the sheepskin, when I stop again a few hours later I put the beads under the sheepskin, then if I'm still going at the next rest stop I'll put the beads on top of the sheepskin. I can do ~18 hours like that, not much trouble, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a multi-hundred dollar custom seat (that's ugly, too :lol3 ).
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    People from 150 to 350 pounds, and from 5'2" to 7' tall, ride these bikes and you expect the seat to work for that range of people? :huh

For that matter, not even every 5'10" 185 pound person has the same stats and needs. Bony ass, sensitive ass, iron butt ass, everyone is different. Why do you think there are so many making aftermarket seats, and still no one can agree to which seat is the best!

Bottom line is, people are different, and you need to make the adjustments necessary to work for you!:deal

Jim :brow

PS Has nothing to do with the cost of the bike!:deal
  19. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Open your eyes Jim. What is one of the most common threads for the 1200/800GS's? Seats! Look at the recient 800GS Sargent seat thread for example. Same with the 1200GS.

Ever here of anyone upgrading a XB12X seat? Maybe.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, but I don't go looking at those threads since I have no interest in them.

Either it works for you, or it does not. I went through 5 different aftermarket seats and only found one that worked for me on my R1200GS. On the other hand, I have never ridden a motorcycle that had a seat worth having stock!:deal

Jim :brow