Why can't BMW make a seat??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BlackdogADV, Nov 22, 2009.

1. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ I think my ass may be considered "chunky" by the general public but maybe that has allowed me to tolerate the bmw LOW seat for 600+ miles days.

Also.... stand up peeps!!!! the bike is made to stand and it is amazing what getting some blood flow into your cheeks can do! :lol3 I enjoy standing when I get into random towns because the air doesn't try to slam me back down and most people turn and think "wtf is that thing and what kind of shit is this rebel going to pull" when you ride through country towns on the pegs. Maybe it is just me but my theory is the F8 pulls a lot of attention for it's radical styling and rugged looks. I may be an introvert when my helmet is off but I don't mind turning heads when I am riding.

P.s. I may change my mind when the cops stop me for "Failure to maintain control of my vehicle" like they did to my buddy on his 640 adventure when he rode through town on the pegs. Luckily my friend managed to convince them the bike is meant to be ridden on the pegs and they let him go, I will try to do the same.
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Canada so this might not apply to you. But my dealer had one on a bike in the showroom a month or so ago when I was in for service. I wasn't really interested so I didn't make any serious inquiries. But I assume that since he had one, it's available, at least here. It's not a big-bling showroom; I assume it was for sale and not just a piece of candy.
  3. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I've swapped a few seats, but found by far the best way to improve comfort is to work out. Fitness and muscle tone help a lot.

On longer rides I'll do like Boston12GS and add a sheepskin for a few miles.
  4. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    25000ks on a stock GSA seat, not once did it bother me.

9500ks on the F800GS seat, it was fine for short trips around my state but I'm just back from a 5000k interstate trip and I'm contemplating chopping that seat up into small pieces and sending it to BMW with a nasty letter. Almost ruined my trip.
  5. Whiskylover

Whiskylover n00b

Oddometer:
    I've done about 30 000 miles in 18 months on my "new" GS1200. Seat replaced twice due to my GS boots rubbing when I stand up i.e. seat edge cracked. BMW replaced it twice under warranty!!!. But as far as comfort goes, the seat is fine. On longer trips I limit myself to about 600-700 kilometres per day. When my ass gets sore, I stand up on the pegs for a few minutes and enjoy the view. Its great on a hot Australian summers day. You don't have to slow down too much standing up and I rather enjoy it despite the strange looks, who cares. I have attached a wool cover for the seat only because of the rubbing issue. However it does add some comfort even on hot days. The best solution is probably to ride as much as you can and get your ass toughened up to suit the seat. And I'm not joking either!!:kat :kat :kat :kat
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    they are too busy trying to make a bike :lol3