Why choose the 650gs over the 800gs?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bikeaddict, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    With the price difference, you can do a pretty nice suspension upgrade on a 650.
  2. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I'm sure someone has explored what is involved with swapping over 800 plastic to the 650. Doable? What all is involved? Even if one didn't make the scoops functional, like on the 800, it might be an option for those that like the look better.
  3. Clarkman

Clarkman Don't taze me bro.

Oddometer:
    Come on, seriously. This is Beasts! Shouldnt someone have told him he should get a Wee-strom by now? I'm seriously disappointed in this thread.
  4. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I am sure he already knows this (as often as it is posted how could he not know) but he must be one of those wierdos who likes to spend hard earned money foolishly and lavishly on inferior products. After all, I can't be the only one! :D
  5. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Based on a 3 minute search of bikebandit.com, 800 plastics are about $1850.

For reference, the base MSRP delta between the 650 and 800 is $2100.
  6. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    What's involved? Spend lots of money, unscrew old parts, put on new parts?

Looks really sweet (see the pics thread, a dealership put the 800 plastic on a 650), but worth the money? Noooo
  7. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    And speaking of upgrading the 650 suspension, that's something I'm trying really hard to do, but I can't seem to find a good option for rear and still undecided as to whether to add new forks or just upgrade the old forks... hmmm
  8. YeeHaa

YeeHaa Fang it!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have just traded my F650GS for the F800GS.
    The reason I changed to the 800 is that I am doing a lot more dirt riding and two up with the bride.
    If I was staying on tarmac and mainly single rider, there is no way I would have changed to the 800.
    I have found the 650 to be better geared and with the alloy wheels a better bike for the bitumen. It was very fuel efficient, cheap and reliable.
    Lets hope the new stallion is as good in that department.

here she is

[​IMG]

Here is the new beast delivered today. It is no slouch on the tarmac but it definitely does not 'turn in' like the 650 as you would expect. But two-up and with a bit of dirt riding ahead of me, this had to be the choice.
    [​IMG]
  9. xlv

xlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this 658:s they have the shrouds of the 800. I like it a lot, makes it look a bit bigger.
    http://www.hammer-gruppe.de/motorrad-koeln/index.php?id=149&no_cache=1&sword_list[]=strada
  10. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Why is the 800 a better two up bike? Other than the handlebars theyre the exact same thing from a rider ergo perspective. Please explain.

I guess I don't understand how they are SOOO different that one would want to swap based on performance. The 650 with is no slouch offroad and those who think the 800 is a dirtbike (and doesn't belong on the street) are sorely mistaken.

Also FYI, the crappy turn in of the 800 can be rectified quite quickly with a fork height adjustment.
  11. midengineracer

midengineracer Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer:
    For me, spoke rims, better forks and greater ground clearance. Motor is fine either way except for my preference for running 87 Octane.
  12. giodog2000

giodog2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    So maybe it isn't as expensive as someone previously stated.

Either this parts fiche is just a touch confusing, or I'm a dumbass, only because I'm having trouble differentiating between
    number 01 lateral trim panel for $323
    and
    number 01 side trim panel graphics $341

But I don't think you'd need both, so assuming if you can get it for 341, plus 17 per intake snorkel, plus 35 for plaque, then thats 393 per side, 784 for both PLUS the tank panel I believe to be the exact same for both models so you save 187 there PLUS this particular fiche site says save up to 40%, and Chicago gives a standard 20% off, so assuming at least a 20% discount it would then be $627+/- to do the panels. Then you'd just need to paint.

http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?btnr=46_1149&mospid=50779&hg=46&fg=45

Of note, I may never seriously consider this particular project, but on those dealer bikes, the 650 wheels look amazing in black, that's going to the top of my to-do list.

PS, I don't know what those #8 set of covers are, but they're probably necessary at another 10 dollars. Have to look on an 800 to see
  14. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you'd also need new front indicators. not 100% sure though.
  15. viniegra71

viniegra71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    that is amazing....

I never would have guessed that ....

Is it real or is it photoshop-ed :evil