Why do I keep dropping my bike?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Aussie Stephen $$, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I rode the DR650, DRZ400SM and the KTM 690 SMC R. The 650 was the only one with decent power to weight that felt relaxed. The other two had a lot of nervous energy. The DRZ hp is close to the DR, but only about 1\2 the torque which is very noticeable. The KTM is twice power, but twice the price at over $12k. Tomorrow, I'm looking at a 2017 DR650 with 238 miles on it and $2500 less than new. That makes modding as needed much easier. I'll miss the extreme comfort and quality of the F700, but not the weight.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock DRZ carb has really flat power delivery, changing the needle makes a huge difference in bottom/mid torque. But the S model is certainly biased to off-road vs the 650. I'm guessing the 650 will be about 110# lighter than the F7. I expect you'll see immediate evidence of quality in the switches the Suzuki uses vs the F7, among other things most components of the DR are at least as good as the BMW. Good choice if the F7 was no longer suitable.
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  3. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why 80 year old farts like me get a scoot that thinks it's a motorcycle and I think it has a quiet gas turbine in it! Takes a major adjustment to pre-conceived ideas but stacks up nicely that allows riding into the sunset!
  4. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Shuswap,

Things I wasn't fully aware of. Good to know. Thanks.

I've read a lot about the DR. Sounds like tuning the carb, removing snorkel and more open exhaust provide a big performance boost. A pumper carb adds even more. Seat concepts upgrade is planned. Suspension will be a wait and see.

Crossbolt,

A scooter at 80? Still too far away to think about. Great that it works for you. Ride on!
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  5. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
  6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I had a 2003 DRZ 400 (S) and was quite happy with it for the woods, dirt roads, etc.
    I rode a friends DRZ that had suspension work as well as engine mods done. (Thinner "E" base gasket and cams, FCR "Pumper" carb, etc) when I rode his bike the thing that impressed me most was the suspension work.
    Put your money in the suspension... biggest bang for the buck.
  7. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a sm for a while and it is indeed a blast to ride, certainly great value for the $.
    I found the handling great, good suspenders a versatile motor.
    Not ideal for long ‘transport ‘ like hauls tho.
    Husky 701 Svartpilen is a pretty good value improvement.
  8. apexal

apexal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now this thread is right down my line. I have a regular suspension F850GS and have dropped it twice in my garage this year. When riding the bike it seems light and nimble but it feels very top heavy in the garage and wherever else I'm pushing it around. Gee, I even find it much easier to move my R1200RT. One of the garage drops pinned me between the bike and my truck; good news is that the truck wasn't damaged but I did major damage to my legs. I could give damn good excuses why the bike fell those two times but I've gone my whole life without incident and now it's starting to happen. To tell the truth I also dropped the RT a few weeks ago. I was on a trip, the bike was fully loaded and I did a a stupid move but just the same it happened. Not good.
    I'm almost 74 years old and have had my share of medical issues and thinking that it may be time to get something that is lower and lighter. My dealer had a 2021 850GSA with low suspension/seat on the floor and I've been wondering if that bike would work for me but it's 34 pounds heavier that the GS and the comments above about the GSA being top heavy concern me very much. If I want to stay with BMW I could always downsize to a 750GS or try lowering my 850GS. But I'm taking a hard look at the F900XR, probably with low suspension, and I did test ride a R9T which was easy to ride and handle. I love the GS bikes for their versatility but it may be time to say goodbye to the GS.
  9. CJ3Flyer

CJ3Flyer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no great insights to offer, I’m mostly here to say “I feel your pain”.

A few years ago when the first GS showed up* I instantly recognized that a garage drop was almost inevitable for all the stated reasons. I became significantly more aware and diligent with regard to floor cleanliness. Overspray from cleaning chemicals are slick, dirt etc are also a hazard.

*The Honda Rune is easier to push around than the GS. By easier I mean less fear of a drop, obviously it’s heavier but it still surprises me that I feel this way.

I strive for a clean floor, let the GS lean on me with kickstand deployed and try to be careful, that’s all I know to do short of having two people.
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Ducatijim, post:
    Husky 701 Svartpilen is a pretty good value improvement.[/QUOTE]
    It is, local dealers are charging a 72% premium for the 701 Enduro vs the SVitsmartfriggin'..... thing.
  11. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Just brought home a 2017 DR650 with 240 miles on it. Been started and driven weekly to keep everything working. Belonged to the guy's wife who has gotten a serious disability. Looks and runs like brand new. I just got home from my 6 hour round trip to get it (Craigslist ad) and it's sitting in my truck to be unloaded tomorrow. Can't wait. At 360 lbs wet, it should be fun. No worries of dropping this one, even though I managed to avoid that on my F700. I read owner reviews on the F900XS and it's tall, meaning top heavy and all of 460 lbs. Let's face it, BMW builds tractors, not light, nimble enduros. Great build quality, but heavy. Low suspension is not going to change the weight.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  12. kingcatfish190

kingcatfish190 Tim Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. kingcatfish190

kingcatfish190 Tim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Straddle that bike and “duck walk “ it instead of standing next to it.
  14. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    Funny ......old at 50!
  15. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I’m finding I drop my lightest bike (Van Van) the most, Low heavy Vstar 1100 second. Hardly ever my F700.
    Suspect since BMW was every penny I had, others came easy, Vstar was a freebie. So I’m much more cautious. Also I find the Vstar right impossible to push about.
    I found the big Suzuki to be a bit of a pig off road, just too big not as bad as F700 but not an improvement. However as a street bike I dug the Thumper. Reminiscent of my once beloved SR500 though a tad heavier I think. Lower the Suzuki, lower gearing add street tires, a ripper! The biggest thing you’ll miss switching is fuel injection. And you’ll miss that plenty til you get a new bike. Carbs are dinosaur museum parts anymore. Oh yeah tubeless tires are right nice too.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Old is a relevant term. I'm 65 and don't have a problem keeping my bike upright, so I guess I'm not "old" . 50 and dropping your bike.....maybe you are getting old. :D
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  17. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    I'm in my early 60s. 5'6" 180 lbs. I started riding off road in my mid 50s. 29" inseam on a kick start only bike with a 37' seat height and lots of crashing taught me a lot about how to push a bike around. The big lesson was don't hesitate to start the bike and use the throttle and clutch to power a bike instead of always relying on your legs to push. Finesse on the throttle and clutch goes a long way to making it easy to move a bike around in contrast to trying to use the brute force of aging legs. I now use this technique to load bikes into trucks, put the up on lift tables or where ever there is a slope or distance to go up which can't be easily ridden or doesn't make sense to ride.
    sieg likes this.
  18. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    All you need is reverse....
  19. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    I decided to do it again! Simple pull over for dope break. Steeper spot than reckoned. Zero speed dismount an tumble. Thank God for crash bars and plastic panniers. Well and real thanks to nice man who stopped to help pick me bike up. Too mad at self for photo.
  20. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:

Was this your F700 or a different bike? If F7, is it standard height, or lowered? What sort of dope are you using while riding?