Why do I keep dropping my bike?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Aussie Stephen $$, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Yeah my stock F700GS. I can flat foot it so tumbles are just from my own lameness. I’d admit that day I was pushing right hard into cold, high speed conditions and had been for hours. A little weed keeps me from getting carried away going fast, old habit.
  2. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you’re kidding. Otherwise, mystery solved on the bike drops.

There’s no place for impaired operators on the roadways. If you weren’t joking, please get help. Meanwhile, stay off the roadways.
    Tigershark48 and ubermick like this.
  3. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    You never know where a Squid will pop up.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  4. magellan44

magellan44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread hit home also for me. I bought a really nice used 2017 F800Gs and all yr I’ve been riding with veteran riders since they were kids I’m in my early 60’s and in decent shape but single track is killing me. Thank god for crash bars. I’ve only put minor scratches on the crash bars but this bike is too tall for me I’m thinking

I’ve been looking to possibly find something else lightweight. I really like this 800 Gs I think they are great motorcycles but maybe too much for an older rider just learning to off road.

ive been riding for 50 years but haven’t been off road for 45 years. Im pretty decent on it but I’m 5’9” and still have trouble on off camber situation. I’m considering a DR. Or try to find something like a 500cc that can still do decent on the pavement
  5. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    The F800gs is taller and heavier than the F700GS, but there are low seat and low suspension options. Hopefully you at least have the low seat?

If you decide to switch it up, Take a look at the 2019+ Honda CB500X. Spec seat height is a bit deceptive, because the seat is quite narrow, improving reach. And there are aftermarket lowering kits for these as well. They weigh in around 430 lbs.
  6. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    A DR 650 is 360 lbs wet. I just bought one and love the weight reduction. Great bike!
  7. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Hmm Doubtful weed had much to do with dropping my bike, other than I pulled over to smoke. Mostly being cold and spending hours at 100mph took toll on attention span. Needed more breaks. A rare day to be sure.
    Dropped afore I took break actually. I wouldn’t worry on my endangering fellow motorists, leave that to the alcohol drinkers out there, or cell phone users.
    Not that the F700 top heavy or such, it’s not. All operator error Though I’d admit my big v twin is way less prone to going over at a stop and much easier to correct.
  8. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Magellan
    I’d highly advise something more dirt oriented than. BMW GS series. Dual sports they are and as such
    Are comprising. A doggy 650 will treat you far better off road, and yet that still bogus. If you don’t require
    A plate then get a real dirt bike to ride in dirt. Completely different experience. The old school premise of “Correct tool for the job” applies here. Inappropriate tools will get you hurt and diminish the experience.
    sieg likes this.
  9. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using others’ equally poor behavior to justify your own is a red herring. Denial is a big hurdle. The first step to recovery is acknowledging you have a problem.

Maybe motorcycling isn’t a good fit for you if you feel the need to get doped while riding?

Please stay off the roads if you can’t refrain from smoking pot while operating.
    scottdc likes this.
  10. Arbolmano

Arbolmano Not so Studly

Oddometer:
    Denial. Hmm.Go to school and understand what your saying afore talking. Makes you sound really ignorant buddy. Law says I can get high.just like a person can have a beer and go drive. I’ve crossed the continent twice over the years, no accidents with others, smoking dope whole way. I’ve dropped my unit many times at standstill. I am a klutz without Gyroscopic Force. My rolling crashes on road have all been due to drunk drivers. Hard to attribute a drunk driver to my being high. Of course many crashes on the track or off road but assumed that happens impaired or not.
    Much much ignorance with Cannibus sadly. Far less dangerous than alcohol IMHO. Most folk slow down or stop when high in my experience.
    When there is zero tolerance for alcohol and driving, then I would certainly entertain stopping getting high. Until then I’ll enjoy the riding enhancement provided for me legally. And feel great about.

Say I just realized I was called names! Where are those moderators? That’s not cool.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not cool to impair yourself before or while riding either. Trying to imply it is OK because alcohol can be consumed up to a .08 or .010 limit doesn't fly with me either, those are pretty low numbers and how do you measure, quantitatively, your level of impairment?
    You say it doesn't have a deleterious effect on your riding but here you are telling us about the frequent dropping of your bike, which is highly unusual in itself. BTW, I have several close family and friends who have had their lives absolutely destroyed by cannabis, so I'm not very tolerant of those who proclaim its virtues.
    Vark likes this.
  12. geno_rocket

geno_rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True story... About 25 years ago I bought a pristine, low mileage Honda CBX in California. I had it shipped to my house and once the shipper unloaded the bike I pushed it from the street over the curb to driveway. Sure enough, I dropped it pushing it over the curb. The shipper was still there and he nearly had a heart attack as I mumbled a few choice words. Thankfully no damage to the bike because it had a set of crash bars installed. Two lessons learned: that first move needs to be a careful one to learn how a bike balances and crash bars are your friend and one of the first mods I now do.