Why do people cover their license plates?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by sofauxboho, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yoopers, or Up Yours?
  2. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! :D:jack
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  3. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In hopes one day a there would be a thread asking why. And create an interweb discussion!
  4. sofauxboho

sofauxboho Lacks Undo Supporter

Oddometer:
    The “print a duplicate paper plate, have tolls billed to the other person” is the most convincing argument I’ve heard so far. Most toll plazas in the SF Bay Area are now automated (Fastrak) only, so if it happens that could be a nuisance.

But I’ve not heard of it actually happening here, and the risks of running a fake plate are great. I plan to continue not worrying about it, personally.

A couple other stray comments:

1) I look for the plate in used bike listings because it’s fairly solid evidence that the bike is actually in current registration with no back fees. Could I ask? Sure. But looking at the plate is less work.

2) I’m quite entertained that people tend to cover the plate when selling, but not when posting glamour pictures. They only “protect” the selves when showing a bike they don’t plan to own anymore? Ha!
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The reason people cover their plate is because they are afraid. Just like with people who are afraid of spiders, there is very rarely a logical reason, it's just something they believe will happen to them.
    ozmoses likes this.
  6. Eurotrash-mtrcycl

Eurotrash-mtrcycl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute. There is a limit on legs. The correct maximum number is four!
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Isn't this how the Philadelphia Parking Authority does it in their mobile boot vans??
  8. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, and they have legal access to those databases.
  9. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Because people are stupid. People drive/ride on the streets every single day exposing their plates to tens of thousands of people. Einstein was right.
    ozmoses likes this.
  10. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Why would riding around locally be considered the same as posting a static view of the plate on the internet accessible to folks everywhere on the planet?
    Tall Man likes this.
  11. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely the probability of a 'bad guy' is about the same within in sample of the human population.
    baka1969 likes this.
  12. baka1969

Oddometer:
    Except that's not how it works in reality. Ever look at how many views the average post gets? Maybe a few hundred? How many people see a plate during rush hour in the top 25 cities globally? Thousands maybe?

Plus it's quite difficult to get personal information from just a license plate. The practice of covering the plate number is sheer silliness and paranoia.
    BadKarma likes this.
  13. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Obviously, we need to ban license plates.
  14. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    That, and bring the ADVr AI online to close threads once they repeat themselves more than three times.
    ddavidv and kwthom like this.
  15. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I was told that there are going to be tests over their and they're going to cost you money to fix your misteaks.

I put a candy wrapper over my decal so that no one would steal my bike.
  16. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Do you really think thousands of people "see" your plate every day? That's not how reality works. Maybe a dozen people a day actually look at your license plate in traffic. And that would be in dense city traffic. Out where I live, maybe a dozen people a year have actually looked at my license plate.

On the internet picture, its frozen in time.

I'm not saying its good, bad, or indifferent. Just sayin' that a license image uploaded to the internet isn't really comparable to people on the road that most likely aren't looking at your plate and even more less likely taking a quality photo of it.
    Tall Man likes this.
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most photos of your bike in your driveway have data embedded showing the actual Lat./Long.

A lot easier to find your bike that way.
    KRedman likes this.
  18. baka1969

Oddometer:
    Like I stated before, getting personal information strictly from a license plate is extraordinarily difficult.

Retrieving the meta data embedded in a digital picture is not the same as retrieving information from a license plate alone.

If any of you all want to line your helmets with tin foil, that's your issue. That, however, isn't factual.
  19. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    As I stated...not saying whether posting pictures of license plates is good, bad, or indifferent. Just trying to point out the difference between archiving a picture of your license plate on a website compared to riding on public roads...where we are lucky if other motorists actually see us let alone our license plates. No point in calling people stupid and trying to erroneously described reality.
    Tall Man likes this.
  20. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Tags go on the outside duh