Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Myrouteapp is what used to be tyre.

Myrouteonline is something else entirely.

I don't think either one is linked to TomTom.

The TomTom website is https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_us/
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to look back but I think it was Peter that was saying that myroute is replacing mydrive. True that tom tom is not in the header or banner in the above link. It does mention working with tom tom and garmin. I have been trying to see if it would work with carplay as well but can't seem to find where it specifically says that. Heres to hoping.
    Tom tom my drive, does not have downloadable maps but tom tom go does.
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I was digging around on the sites to find any mention of TomTom aside from "it will sync with your TomTom or Garmin" and I found nothing. Those sites have existed for a lot longer than mydrive I think.

Too many damn sites to keep track of. I think the myroute thing is an untrue rumor.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Tom Tom has something in Beta on MyDrive but I don't know what it is that they are trying to do.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  5. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is text from MyRoute site, "About Us" link (https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/contact):
    It all started in 2006, when Jan Boersma wanted to combine his hobby’s, motor biking and programming. He created Tyre route software. It was further developed and grew to be one of the most widely known programs for creating GPS-routes, without any advertising. More than 500.000 people in the whole world use it. The hobby quickly escalated, and that's why Jan Boersma and Michel van Hagen started TyreToTravel in 2012 to be able to manage the business well. That worked out well, because since 2013 Tyre is an official partner of TomRom Rider with regards to the route software. Now it's time for more professionalization and expanding the possibilities. Jan Boersma and Michel van Hagen do this together with a very motivated team through MyRoute-app, the first all-in-one route-tool with a social coating. So that we can all enjoy even more perfectly planned routes.
    Looks like MyDrive is the app which TT is replacing MyRoute with. Tyre was a previous incarnation of MyRoute which was Windows application, not like MyRoute which is RIA software (Reach Internet Application).
    Traxx and flamingm0e like this.
  6. Traxx

Oddometer:
    My phone is getting cluttered up again with different nav apps, so I have been looking for a good all in one with downloadable maps. Working with carplay is a big plus. I have been giving Scenic the most time when on the bike for the last few months. In the truck it has been apple maps powered by tom tom but no downloadable maps. I gave sgynic a try and the carplay display was shitzzz.
  7. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    That link didn't work for me. I use this link - https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_us/#mode=viewport+viewport=30.22366,-92.05673,13,0,-0+ver=3

I just upgraded (threw away $22?) and am going to see what happens. I was able to plan a route on my PC and it synced yesterday. It didn't sync today. So I upgraded. But I don't think I'm logged into the same account. The app seems to have logged me in with my Google login, while I have a distinct login on my PC. I see no 'Logout" button on the app.
  8. sharps5090

sharps5090 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, I have never used a GPS. I use a thing called a Map.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nether of these seems to have anything to do with TomTom. TT's MyRoutes is probably not publicly available yet as they were just inviting beta testers to apply.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  10. petertakov

Oddometer:
    You are a real man!!!
  11. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    After upgrade and login on my phone, I had to go to the main menu (lower left, 4 vertical dots) scroll down to TomTom Services, and then turn on MyDrive. Synced up right away and downloaded my route. I'm a happy man! I was using RidewithGPS, but the TomTom interface is much better. And I don't see how it could get any simpler to plan a route and follow it on your phone.
    Traxx and petertakov like this.
  12. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 15 dollar trac-fone is for talking on. It also stays attached to me in case the bike rejects/ejects me I may be able to call for help. I too use a paper map and do bring an older tom-tom. If I get lost I push the where the fuk am I button and find me on the paper map!!
  13. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Good news! Which version of the TT app do you have?
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    I have version 1.18.1 release/1.18 (2169) Not sure what that other stuff means, but that's what is says.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. petertakov

Oddometer:
    That's the old version - works fine with MyDrive and routes. It's the new version 2.xx that doesn't. And I don't know if the o!d version will keep working whenever the new becomes widely available. I doubt they will support two supposedly completely different apps and web platforms simultaneously. TT claim that the maps themselves are comp!etely different for the new version and will not be compatible with the old one.
    Davidprej likes this.
  16. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, all I know is that it works for my testing on errands around town. Haven't done any long rides, etc. Will let you know if I run into problems.

I don't ride off road, but I seriously don't understand what people are looking for in a navigation aid. I have 3 basic criteria. 1. Plan a CUSTOM route on my PC. And by custom I mean I want every turn and road that I pick on my PC route to be duplicated on my app. No recalculations with not enough waypoints, bull*t. (This is what I got with Basecamp and Zumo, in case you didn't pick up on my frustration.) 2. No downloading to my phone/GPS. No conversions, saving to folders, uploading to app, etc. It should be automatic. And 3. Audio and visual turn-by-turn directions on the bike. I want audio warnings of upcoming turns ("In a quarter mile, take a left"). And I want to be able to look down at my screen to see a visual path.

That's it. I can find gas stations, lodging, POIs with Google maps. So far, RidewithGPS and TomTom are the only two apps that do these three things. There may be more, but this is what I've found.
    ohgood, Traxx and petertakov like this.
  17. petertakov

Oddometer:
    My requirements to a Nav App are very similar to yours and TT app is the only one that know of which provides that - the turn by turn navigation with GPX tracks , in particular. A lot of of other apps display tracks over a map but I don't know any other that can actually connect the track and the map and be aware of whether a sharp curve in the track is a curve or a turn. OSMand, for exemple, annonces "turn left" on EVERY sharp left curve on the track. If guided navigation along a gpx track is important to you, you don't really have an alternative to TT.
    Traxx and Davidprej like this.
  18. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Just briefly saw this thread mentioning a software update about TT GO and MyDrive, so checked the phone app and I too am running 1.18.1. I've been pretty happy with A to B navigation with the GO app, guess I better check out the MyDrive situation before re-upping another year for GO. MyDrive was a piece of cake, I could just import a trk file I had created for GuruPro into it and it would transfer that right into the GO app without any problem.
    Davidprej and flamingm0e like this.
  19. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    When I had just downloaded the app and was having trouble syncing (I'd failed to turn on MyDrive under TomTom Services), I posted a question on the TomTom discussion. This was the reply from the TomTom moderator:

"Welcome to the Community! Are you using the GO Mobile App or the new GO Navigation App? We're sorry but we don't currently offer MyDrive route syncing on the new GO Navigation App. We are actively working on making the feature compatible with our new maps and expect to release it later this year."

I'm using the Go Mobile app. Is there a Go Navigation App out there that is causing the sync issues?
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. If you are on version 1.18 you are using Go Mobile.

If you are on version 2.0.x you are using GO Navigation (One of my devices has this version 2.0.5 and it is different). They have not fixed the integration yet with MyDrive, and supposedly are doing so later this year (not holding my breath)
    Davidprej likes this.