Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was thinking, why would anyone buy a TomTom stand alone GPS if the app worked this well? Maybe that's the reason for the syncing issues. Don't know what a stand alone costs, but it's got to be some double digit multiple of $22.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-1GF0-047-00-Motorcycle-Navigation-Lifetime/dp/B07D47QP28
    It has a lockable powered mount and no special gloves to operate the touchscreen. I have never had it power down or dim because of the Tejas heat. Water drops don't activate a function. All of the maps of roads that I want to ride are there. I like it for convenience of not having to dismount the phone every stop or when I want to take a picture.
    Depending on the ride, I use different forms of nav. Dead reckoning for just out and about tooling around, maps for tooling around in an area I don't know, dedicated GPS if I am going long distance with expectation of no cellular service or expect to take a lot of pictures and a lot of stops to phone again long distance and not many stops depending on the app I use for no cellular service.
    Ogre_fl and Davidprej like this.
  3. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the app?
    I think that I will spring for it when I get back to land and real internet. Maybe I can down load it for the trip home. There is dead zone on 45 between Opelousas and Alexandria and again between Alexandria and Natchitoches.
    So how many of ya'll actually use the GPS or GPS app to navigate? I am generally just using it for a estimated TOA and DTA.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the app online for traffic avoidance. I'm liking it a lot for a simple nav.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Make any routes? Import or export tracks or POIs?
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made 2 routes in mydrive and they synced across. One of them was a 250 mile round trip that I had imported from a gpx track I had run one day with some friends.

I have been creating POIs on the device to see them sync on the website and on my other devices.
    Traxx likes this.
  7. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    When you say "dead zone" you mean for cell phone service, correct? Just a reminder, but cell phone coverage has nothing to do with a phone's GPS coverage. I've used my phone to navigate all over southern, eastern and northeastern U.S., a trip to Mexico and in eastern Canada. NEVER had a problem with no GPS coverage.

And I've traveled the section between Opelousas and Alexandria and Alex. and Natchitoches many times with full GPS coverage. (Note I live in Laf., LA). I've got a very expensive Zumo 590 sitting in a box in my closet. Phone apps are the bomb. Google for Point A to Point B. I'm new to it, but high on the TomTom app currently. Many others you'll see recommended, but I like simplicity.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I didn’t forget about the GPS working without cellular service. I use Apple Maps (powered by Tom Tom) when I am in the truck on car play and they are not a downloaded map set. That is why I am interested in Tom Tom Go and it will work with CarPlay and will have the downloaded maps.
    Phone apps are okay, they have their weaknesses as well.
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    It is unclear to me what your specific question is. But in general, any app on a smart phone will work as a navigation aid. I would add that it will be easier to use than a dedicated Garmin device. I don't see any weaknesses in apps vs. dedicated Garmin unit. What are you referring to?
    Traxx likes this.
  10. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Not all apps have down loadable maps.
    User interface is not always the best for the screen size on the phone. Buttons to small, hard to touch with gloved hands.
    Some are just to damn busy, lot of info with small fonts.
    Then there are environmental issues like rain and heat and cold.

My question was, how is the Tom Tom go app working out for you? Did you not just purchase it? Have you planned any routes or taken a spin around the block with it yet? How is the user interface?
  11. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I probably should have replied to your post on the last page, maybe it would have made more sense then.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The interface is exactly that of the TomTom hardware GPS. It appears to be pretty identical across the board.

Actually it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if I were to learn that TomTom has been using Android behind the scenes on their hardware (like the Garmin overlander) ;)
    Davidprej and Traxx like this.
  13. Traxx

Oddometer:
    I am not up on the Garmin stuff, they pissed me off over ten years ago and I have not used their stuff since.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  14. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    We each utilize our navigation devices to suit our ride. For me, the answer to the original question is simple. Information. This is a screenshot of a route from my house to Fayetteville, West Virginia.

48264.png

The upper left corner gives me mileage to the next turn.
    The bar to the right of that gives me the road I will turn on.
    The data bar to the right (which is customizable) gives distance to the next Via Point.
    Distance to the destination.
    Arrival time to destination.
    Below that is the time of day.
    Left of that is the road I am traveling on.
    Next to that is my speed.
    Above that is the speed limit for that road.
    And of course, the route line to follow.

All on one screen.

With one press of the screen I can get every turn along the route with its distance.

43782.png

I've tried a lot of apps and I am very open minded about this, is there an app that comes close to that much information on one screen for my Galaxy S9? Bearing in mind I can do a lot of other things with a press of the glove friendly screen also.

Terry
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's one app. TomTom Go.

I can get similar information to what you have using Locus

In keeping with the theme, from my house to Fayetteville, AR. ;)

Screenshot_20200221-184149.jpg Screenshot_20200221-184210.jpg
    redkerk84, terryckdbf and Traxx like this.
  16. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, spent several hours with it yesterday AFTER giving it permission to do a lot of things I don't want or need it to do so I could download a map only to find I get 50 free miles. Am I missing something? Is there a charge after 50 miles?

Terry
    Traxx likes this.
  17. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    The trial version (free) is only good for 50 miles.

I have the GO app as well, I downloaded a 5,200 mile trip last summer to run side-by-side with the Guru Pro app at the same time. Both worked perfectly. The GO app pretty much mimics the TomTom dedicated GPS. Sure, there's a yearly subscription fee, it's not all that much in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather try it, lose about $40 then spend $250 or more on a dedicated unit that I may or may not like. Plus, the GO app can be updated as long as TomTom is willing to update it. Standalone GPS units are practically obsolete as soon as you turn them on.
    Traxx and flamingm0e like this.
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a monthly or yearly subscription for TomTom service. I thought it was worth $22/year for all the things it can do.

The 50 miles is a "trial" and apparently is 50 miles a month (not sure what good that really does)

Have a look at Magic Earth too. I tried it last year and wasn't impressed with it but recently have it another shot. It's pretty good too.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    @flamingm0e, agreed, $22 a year for something that meets a need is very reasonable. I'll check Magic Earth out, thank you.
    @scootertrog, we disagree on the value of the stand alone units which is fine, all of the nav devices/apps serve a purpose.

Thanks guys.

Terry
    Traxx likes this.
  20. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still use both a phone and a stand-alone GPS. It doubles the chance of me getting lost.