Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    @scootertrog, we disagree on the value of the stand alone units which is fine, all of the nav devices/apps serve a purpose.

Thanks guys.

Terry[/QUOTE]

Terry,
    I'm not knocking the standalones. Just suggesting that one could give the GO app a try to see if they like the format (it does a great job duplicating the TomTom 550). If so, you can still buy the TomTom standalone GPS if you want togo that route. :)
    terryckdbf likes this.
  2. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've just recently added Pocket Earth to my phone. It seems very intuitive and functions well as a stand-alone GPS. The app was $4.99, US maps came with at no charge and I added topo maps for $25. I'll reserve full judgement until my first real trip with it in April. For years I also have used MotionX GPS for recording tracks and uploading routes. I have really enjoyed it. It will send an email summary of the days ride to the email address of those I choose to send to. My wife likes having that summary at the end of the day (that feature does require cell connectivity). However, I just recently heard that MotionX is unsupported now but haven't confirmed.

I still use a stand-alone for redundancy and for ease of use. It is much easier to read in direct sunlight and the touch screen works well with gloves. It is also not nearly as sensitive to heat and the elements as my iPhone.

But mostly, the little boy in me likes the look of the "glass cockpit" with all the pretty color screens.
  3. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most of the nav apps can display that information and much more. Also, you get to chose what information to be displayed and how. Would you mind mentioning which were those "a lot of apps" that you have tried that don't display that info?
    I don't know what you mean by "a lot of things" but it basically needs to know your location for obvious reasons, it needs access to storage to store maps and it needs access to your contact list if you want them displayed on the map. You can deny each and every one of these requests (I bet you haven't thought of that) and the app will still work but you will obviously lose the respective functionality (like having your contacts on the map, for exemple, which I, for one, have refused/disabled). I don't know if you are aware, but most current Garmins collect the exact same information, including your contacts. Did you know that? I guess not, because, unlike apps, they don't ask you for permission, don't they.

And yes, SOME nav apps cost money but the price is ridiculously low compared to any Garmin/TomTom out there. Plus, there are free ones that are almost just as good as the paid apps. Currently you can get Sygic for something like 10-15 EUR ONE TIME price for lifetime usage. And bear in mind that "lifetime" actually means lifetime and on as many devices as you want, unlike the Garmin/TomTom "lifetime", which actually means "as long as the device is supported with firmware updates", which is usually a few years.

I appreciate you being open-minded and all, but it helps if you get at least the basic facts right as well. Based on so many posts on the topic, it is blatantly obvious that 90% of the people who claim dedicated GPS devices are in any way superior are just completely uninformed. What is more ridiculous, though, is that for some reasons unknown, the more information gets presented to them, the more they insist on being right and the more they seem to feel negative about those who actually try to help them.
  4. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    And this is why I waited 55 pages to get into the pissing contest, it is rare to see a gps rider outright blast a phone app rider while it is common to see phone app posters criticize the gps.
    The gps has nothing to do with contacts at all, it is a stand alone device, no need to pair the phone with it and if I do it actually asks if I want to download the contacts, it doesn't need permission to make phone calls in order to use a map, I never said the gps was superior, I said I use it because it suits my riding style, gives me the info I want and that info is clearly labeled on, for me, a more readable glove friendly screen.. I don't know who the hell "they" are but if you want to lump me in with them then go ahead. We could go on and on but the criticism and bashing accomplish little to nothing.

Perhaps you could start a thread on how to utilize the TomTom Go Mobile app, with screen shots, I am sure it would be helpful for folks like me. I keep reading on these threads "Name me something the gps does that the app does not". Perhaps we could turn that around and have a pleasant conversation on the virtues of each.

In the meantime, I am downloading the app again in hopes it will work for me.

Terry
  5. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    @petertakov

-My Garmin Zumo 590 asks permission to access contacts

-I choose what information I want it to display

-The Zumo is designed to be used on the bike in all weather. It drops into the mount instantly without having to fiddle with X-mounts etc or plug in calbes to keep uit charged. It comes off just as easily.

-it works with all gloves in hot, cold, pouring rain,etc

-no need to figure out programs, pay renewal fees, etc

-designed to be used by riders when riding

-traffic, weather, etc fully integrated and easily accessible while riding

-simple and easy to use, even adding waypoints to routes while riding is easy and simple to do.

I have navigation apps on my phone. Certainly Google Maps does a better job of finding new places than the GPS does (ie it is dynamic and always up to date.)
    Of course if it finds a place my GPS doesn't know it is a simple matter of copying the address on the phone and pasting it to the Garmin Smartphone Link app on the phone which then sends it to the GPS (or just using voice entering the address into the app.) I probably need to do this less than 1% of the time but it is nice to have the backup.

Phones and GPS all work ok. For me a GPS is simply a better, more practical choice for someone that actually rides a lot.

Real question is why do you even care? It seems like you have some personal vendetta against people that use GPS units. Is is that you can't afford them and feel the need to justify why you use the phone apps? It just reminds me of someone saying their Mustang is better than a ferrari. Both are great cars in their own way but only the people with a chip on their shoulder is saying theirs is just as good as the other.

..Tom
    wbbnm, Stalky Tracker, jasiu and 4 others like this.
  6. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    -My Garmin Zumo 590 asks permission to access contacts

-I choose what information I want it to display

-The Zumo is designed to be used on the bike in all weather. It drops into the mount instantly without having to fiddle with X-mounts etc or plug in calbes to keep uit charged. It comes off just as easily.

-it works with all gloves in hot, cold, pouring rain,etc

-no need to figure out programs, pay renewal fees, etc

-designed to be used by riders when riding

-traffic, weather, etc fully integrated and easily accessible while riding

-simple and easy to use, even adding waypoints to routes while riding is easy and simple to do.

I have navigation apps on my phone. Certainly Google Maps does a better job of finding new places than the GPS does (ie it is dynamic and always up to date.)
    Of course if it finds a place my GPS doesn't know it is a simple matter of copying the address on the phone and pasting it to the app on the phone which then sends it to the GPS (or just using voice entering the address.) I probably need to do this less than 1% of the time but it is nice to have the backup.

Phones and GPS all work ok. For me a GPS is simply a better, more practical choice for someone that actually rides a lot. (And every rider I know that actually rides a lot that has tried using their phone went back to GPS.)

..Tom
    wbbnm, Traxx and terryckdbf like this.
  7. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is just so desperate and sad.
  8. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    "It seems like you have some personal vendetta against people that use GPS units."

@petertakov , Your posts certainly indicate that. And your latest post is not helpful but if you want to be helpful I've been working with the app for the last 2.5 hours and have a few questions. Would you like to start a new thread on the GO Mobile app or point me in the direction of an existing one so those wanting to learn more can do so or is it ok with the OP to post questions here?

Terry
    wbbnm, Traxx and Davidprej like this.
  9. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    What device/app are you using?
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/tomtom-go-mobile.1430952/

We didn't have a thread that I could find so I made one. I'm not an expert but I'll lend a hand where I can.
    wbbnm, terryckdbf and Traxx like this.
  11. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Presently working with a TomTom Go Mobile app on a Galaxy S9 while importing .gpx files as well as making new routes with TomTom MyDrive Route Planner.

Terry
    Traxx likes this.
  12. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Davidprej likes this.
  13. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still remember this same discussion when it was maps vs GPS.
    I grew up in the Kisatchie national forest where I learned to navigate in the woods without a map. As I got older I learned maps and how to route using a pen and paper, just had to watch for the signs. Along comes the gps.....the devil. Yep learned it to and now I use my phone in the truck on carplay and a stand alone on the bike, because of the user interface. The stand alone is easier for me to use on the bike, and again. I like GPS for estimated TOA and DTA and that is about it.

Actually you do come across that way. Sometimes pretty dickish.
    wbbnm, jasiu, Exurban and 2 others like this.
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have never owned a stand alone GPS unit...ever. I always figured that the phone GPS did what I needed, so why spend the additional money on something else. I have always been a "single device" does everything kind of guy, phone, camera, music, pda (how's that for old school?), email, GPS. That being said, I do have a dedicated phone now for GPS on the bike, a recycled daily use phone that I had laying in a drawer. It does everything I need it to do. So, basically $0 investment. I put the dedicated GPS money in the tank. This is why I don't use a dedicated GPS unit. It really has nothing to do with capabilities, which, I think, are almost indistinguishable, between today's stand alone units and phone based apps.
    So, there! :dhorse
  15. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    It used to be oil and tyres......but now it looks like GPS can be added to the list of heated debates :D
    worwig, jasiu, 250senuf and 1 other person like this.
  16. terryckdbf

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Terry
  17. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    As to data on screen

20170814_173131 (1).jpg

That is with OSM and I have TTD turned off
    Screenshot_2019-05-06-15-57-23.png

That is locus pro, and I have my dash down, but I don't feel like digging through 150 pages of photos to find a screenie with it up.
  18. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you make the buttons bigger for gloved hands? Same same with the info, I don't like wearing my bifocals on the bike.
  19. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    With Locus you can create your own dashboard overlay with the information you want.

I hardly ever need any of the buttons on the top/side panels, and I can use the volume keys for zoom in/out.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    With Locus I have the volume buttons on the phone set to zoom in and out, very easy to use with gloves....because hardware keys. With OsmAnd, you can see the zoom buttons, they are easy to tap with gloves as well.

For everything else, "ok google, find gas" works well enough.
    Davidprej and Traxx like this.