Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    No.

We obviously can't.
    wbbnm and Traxx like this.
  2. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    flamingm0e and Traxx like this.
  3. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me it was learning curve and cost. I bought a Montana and simply couldn't figure out how to use it. It was expensive and utterly un-intuitive for me. Along the way I discovered two things: 1. I actually needed to spend MORE money to get maps for the thing and 2. My iPhone would do everything I needed for free (almost). Done! I sold the Montana and the iPhone has been working perfect for me ever since.
  4. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took this picture with my phone. Then phone quickly got put back in a ziplock bag.
    41359F7D-2D3F-45E4-8081-DE06891F3938.jpeg
    Amphib, V-Tom and Traxx like this.
  5. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Wonder if it has waypoint limits? They don't even bother to mention that. Is it unlimited, 10,000, 1,000, 500? One of the most important specs for motorcyclists and Garmin makes no reference. Typical.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    your windshield lined up perfectly with Sawmill Lane, that was neat!
    Screenshot_20200305-072858.png

Screenshot_20200305-072907.png

Screenshot_20200305-072919.png

Screenshot_20200305-072930.png

image overlay calibration is handy for finding cool roads other people post, or recreating routes from screen shots. other stuff too, like finding single track. mostly i use it to find single track.
    (image overlays are included in locus pro, the Montana needs a computer to do it)

btw there's a cool Geocache about a half mile down the road from where you took the picture
    Screenshot_20200305-074513.png
    Amphib, rexbro and Traxx like this.
  7. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Does TomTom have that info on their product page?

Terry
    Traxx and Davidprej like this.
  8. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s pretty cool. Pic was taken while out tagging a couple days ago. I rarely stop to take pictures otherwise.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/penn...tag-o-rama-eastern-central-pa.1086890/page-25

Can you do that with route screenshots too? Here is a partial screenshot of the route I took to get there.
    431CF4E8-1040-44E9-8AA4-C2D43163D22B.jpeg

It started raining about halfway through a 200 mile ride. Riding in the rain (with proper gear) is quite enjoyable!
    Traxx and ohgood like this.
  9. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1,000 Waypoints can be stored on the device,
    Tracks can have up to 10,000 points
    Routes can have up to 3,625 points (Via and Shaping)
    Unlimited Custom POIs
    V-Tom likes this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    when it's warm I'll ride rain or shine. when it's cold, nope.

ya, you can grab a screenshot of a route, import it, geireference it, and then plot a similar route along the same roads. i use this for local stuff when i see a local ride video that has telemetrics overlays on it, and i wanna see the same stuff in person.

Screenshot_20200305-115810.png Screenshot_20200305-115904.png
    rexbro likes this.
  11. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a Via/Shaping point limit on the Zumo XT when using a route made in Basecamp with the “lock to road” option set? I looked through the user manual but did not see any reference to that option or limit. Possibly it’s a Basecamp issue?

I think my Montana 610 will only use routes with up to 50 points. I can create a route with say 75 points in Basecamp and export it to the device but if I select the route and hit Go I get an error saying a route can only have 50 points or maybe it’s 52.
  12. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your using Locus Maps Pro for this on what device? I’d like to check it out a bit.

I don’t mind riding in the cold or the rain as long as I’m prepared for it. Lots of layers and glove choices. I don’t usually look outside to see it pouring rain and decide to go riding though.

I try and guesstimate how bad it’s gonna get by looking at temps, radar, and fronts coming in before heading out. I draw the line when there is a probability of black ice or pending snow.

The biggest problem I have is faceshield/pinlock fogging when there are elevation changes and/or fog setting in.
  13. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naaah, I don't like to ride feeling like the Michelin man :-))
  14. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need to look like the Michelin Man, You just need the right gear. Heated gear is your friend. My lower limit temperature wise is 0f or -18 c. (This winter the lowest I have ridden was only -5 F or -15c.)

No Bugs!

..Tom
  15. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I guess what you are saying is the Montana has a limit of 50 points per route. The XT has a limit of 3,625 points per route. Basecamp has no "lock to road" option so I'm not sure what you mean. If you're referring to activity profiles, it doesn't matter. Routes is routes and the limit is what it is.

The XT, like most other Garmins released since 2013, recognizes shaping points. A route can have up to 30 via points and up to 125 shaping points between each via point. You set the points to shaping in Basecamp.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Never have used a Tom Tom. Have no idea what kind of specs their units typically have.
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    This. It gets to the point where it becomes dangerous because you can't move correctly on the bike you're so wrapped up in crap. This is the main reasons I use heated gear. I can wear just a t shirt under my heated vest and my usual non ventilated jacket. That's good down to the 20's for me.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So once again they produce a unit with limits. SMDH.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yuppers. unfortunately i got bit by the "why can't my Tomtom/Garmin/explorer do this thing"bug a few years ago, and have been doing stuff exclusively with real cheap phones since... so I'm easy behind on what has changed with the stand alone units. every time i but one (only used, only if it's 30% market value) to try them again i find it's a big step backwards, and pass it on to the next guy to use. locus is not use friendly at the beginning, the learning curve is steep and rocky, but it's powerfilled. like the image overlay i posted, it does stuff in less than a minute that the stand alone units need a desktop PC, manual, Google, and YouTube tutorials to accomplish. I'm not bitter, it's just really hard to do similar stuff on stand alone units.

i never posted the full overview of your track, here it is... you can see where the roads match up between the background map (Google hybrid) and your foreground screenshot:
    Screenshot_20200306-070809.png
    Screenshot_20200306-070809.png

riding in the cold is super fun if it's dirt bikes, but here in the south most people aren't used to frost, and useless with ice or snow. I've had way too many drivers merge into my comfort zone with their windows completely covered in frost, save a tiny hole in the windshield for"seeing things", so i don't ride in traffic.

dual sport is a lot of fun, but the rides are few and far between. i really dig exploring in the cold. super fun.

interstate/highways I'm totally done with. too many cars are not being piloted by humans, instead just phones in their faces
  20. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I see what’s happening now. When I initially set up the Montana routing options I chose “yes” in the “draw vehicle to locked road” option. I’ve only had the Montana and been using Basecamp for about a year. I forgot where that option came from. When I selected it it seemed like a logical choice at the time but now I’m not sure that option is even necessary. I’ll do a little testing to see how it affects the Montana’s route handling.

On the plus side having a 50 point limit made me very proficient in selecting routing points. :lol2

I had been previously using Mapsource with my Streetpilot 2610 for many years. At first I disliked Basecamp because of the way it uses a database to store information. I really like it now because I’ve learned how to work with my data and It’s helped me keep my stuff organized.

It got me into using route naming conventions that are informative. I was lazy before using names like “Sunday ride with Bill”. I’d look at that a month later and have no idea where that route went. It seemed like I had to create a new route every time I went for a ride. This naturally got worse over time with many duplicate waypoint and route names.

CDB4B252-3913-4159-90F2-4E78401FBA08.jpeg
    B423FB0E-BB16-4944-A5EE-43021F2C9074.jpeg
    ohgood likes this.