Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Why do you need waypoints ?
    If you just draw the route on the screen, then export it as a track (GPX file )
    Loucus and Oruxmaps with brouter will do this

If you realy just need waypoints you can do it also and export a waypoint file (GPX also), but don't know how a Garmin will read it ?
  2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, I use Gaia on my iPad with my pencil to work up a route. Then I just export the gpx to Google drive and load it on my Tab Active 2, or my Ulefone Armor X5 (depending on the bike I am on), and ride it.
  3. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @webmonstro , @flamingm0e My understanding was that waypoints were needed for it to give nav direction, and not just display it on the screen. That said, I will give that a try in those apps. Even just having it as a track would be kewl. Thanks!
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tracks and Routes are very different things.

Certain apps can take your TRACK and GUIDE you (turn by turn) through it. OsmAnd and Locus will show a TRACK, and you can have either of those apps give you turn by turn on that track. It's not perfect, but it's REALLY close.

If you are letting your device ROUTE you, you are selecting a few waypoints as destinations along the way and it will figure the best route from point A to point B. This is undesirable for me. I want to choose my path. I prefer a track 99.9999999% of the time. I design the track going the way I want to go. If I just want to get from point A to B the quickest way, I will tell my device where I want to go and let it figure out the best option for me.

When you create a route in Basecamp for instance, you are basically using SHAPING points to determine which route you want to take, then it calculates that route and creates the turn by turn.

So you need to understand the differences between a track and route, and what features are used for each. Yes you can use waypoints to sort of shape your route, however, your routing engine is going to determine the roads it takes, if there are more than one option for the path. I feel tracks are VASTLY superior for planning and usage. You can always let your device figure the route to Point B for you, and still have the track that you want to follow.

There are many possibilities and options for these things. The problem is just knowing what you want out of the system.

I prefer to be in control. Some people prefer to let the device direct them.
    scootertrog likes this.
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Scenic basically works the same way you describe. And it has its own routing engine built in, so you don't need a helper app the way Locus needs Brouter or similar.

Scenic is actually a superb app for road riding. The developer is a motorcyclist himself and actively seeks the input of other riders (he's got a thread in the Vendors section). And it has the best route planner built into it that I've found in any GPS app. There are a few other iOS route-planning apps such as EasyRoute and inRoute, but I don't like them as much as Scenic's built-in planner.

--mark
    EmmEff likes this.
  6. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    An important distinction to keep in mind is the capabilities of whatever GPS or app you're using. In many cases, track following is much more limited than route following -- you'll see it on screen, but won't be given turn-by-turn directions or information such as distance-to-next. The advantage of creating a route with enough via points to force it onto the road you want to use is that the GPS or app will offer that additional information.

The important point here, of course, being that you have to shape the route to go where you want it. Really, this is no different than creating a track, the methodology might just vary.

The caveat to this is that some of the newer units have gotten much better at track following. The new Zumo XT, for example, can generate a "trip" (Zumo for route) from a track that sticks to the track precisely but offers all turn by turn information. This is Convenient.

--mark
    V-Tom likes this.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct. As I mentioned, both Locus and OsmAnd (as well as a few other apps, such as Guru) will give you turn by turn directions and distance info for your track. Even Drivemode Dashboard (my preferred track following app on my tablet) has an on screen indicator for distance to next waypoint or end of section/track.

I had a Zumo XT for about a week to play with for a friend. I had a helluva time getting that "trip" feature to work properly on the tracks I created. I wasn't pleased with the results, but I didn't actually get a chance to go ride the route I was creating with it, so my use case was just trying to make it look right. I never got a real feel for the device.
  8. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about Locus but OSMand is not very good at guiding you along a track because it can't link the track to the map beneath it and announces every sharp twist of the GPX track as a turn, which is rather annoying. Personally, I don't mind because I am perfectly ok with simply having the track displayed on the map without any guidance.

That said, TomTom's implementation of Route Planner and Nav App is the best there is, IMO. The routes you create in their online planner are automatically synced with your app as both routes and tracks and you have the choice to follow them as either. Also, because the maps and the routing algorithm on both the app and the planner seem to be identical, even if you use a route, rather than track, it is still 100% the same as the one created online, unless you deviate from it, in which case it persistently tries to get you back on the original route. The benefit of using the route instead of a track is that you can have PoI like all petrol stations on your route visible in the side bar with the exact distance to them.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  9. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate Garmin software, find it clunky and difficult to use, so I use my phone and save £500 on a gadget that I would only use on my bike.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that it is annoying to have the fake "turns" in OsmAnd. It doesn't bother me that much any more.

That said, I actually use the TomTom stuff a lot.

I will create a track in Locus/Gaia/Furkot/Basecamp (whatever I have handy at the time), then load it in TomTom MyDrive (only if it contains all roads) and have it sync to my devices. I don't like the TomTom Go display/layout on 2.x, so I generally will fire up TomTom Go, start navigating the track, and put it in the background while I follow the line on Drive mode dashboard. I get the best of both worlds. Proper turn by turn, with guidance to get back on track if I get too far off. I wish TomTom hadn't broken 2.x so badly. The old layout and color scheme was fine!
    petertakov likes this.
  11. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tore my hair out yesterday :) was driving in my car and had to do several meetings on webex, MS Teams.... and volume issues, GPS instructions cutting out due to Voice call, connectivity issues between car and phone, phone locking at the most inopportune moment , music being cutoff due to GPS instructions........... ahhhhhhhhh

That's why I use my Tom-tom even in the car, keeps GPS instructions away from Car Stereo and Phone. GPS instructions doesn't cut out music or phone call. Easy to mute phone etc...
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Actually if you build the track in Locus it stops that, the issue is you have to build the track on a the device instead of the computer.

You get the "stream of twistiness" when you import from another program or app.
  13. petertakov

Oddometer:
    They really messed up big time with 2.x and that is very unfortunate. Hope they will fix it by next spring. The colours, the battery saver (and 3d buildings) option, the custom PoIs, the accuracy of the new maps .... looking at their support forums, they are losing A LOT of customers that have been using their app for years.

Could that be that when you draw the itinerary in Locus itself it is being saved and interpreted as a route by the app? If so, the same applies to OSMand but I just can't make a long and complex route on a small touch screen.
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:

I have tinkered with it in an andriod emulator....but that was a side project that fell by the wayside when the world went insane earlier in the year.

One that I HAVE gotten to work is screen mirroring my phone to my computer monitor and then using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
  15. petertakov

Oddometer:
    That setup requires serious dedication to set up and work with :-)))
    One question though - if you make a route in Locus and then export it and then import it back again - does it still recognize the actual turns? If you upload the exported file to Google MyMaps does it show one accurate track and one with straight lines between several points? I'm trying to figure out what's going on and if I do, I may be able to replicate it outside of locus and maybe avoid the BT keyboard.
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Then you are getting both track shaping points and routing points....the straight lines are routing points.

I haven't trying cross importing to be honest, its all been with one device.....I should tinker with that when I get a chance.
  17. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Exactly.
  18. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I'd like to ask if there's a decent, reliable solution for charging the phone while on the bike and possibly in the rain. I mean, without glueing pogo pins or something.
    I tried with usb connectors etc. but it wasn't reliable over the time because of vibrations, I think. Wasn't waterproof, too.
  19. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using a magnetic plug and it’s worked GREAT,did probably 800 miles of off-road on my DRZ and it’s held perfect..
    IMG_0914.png
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done thousands of miles with these adapters and have them on all my devices now. Appears to hold up well in the rain too.