Why do you still use a stand alone GPS?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Kyle E, Mar 19, 2019.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    For what it's worth, this no longer holds true with the newest generation of Garmin devices. The Zumo XT and Montana 700 series can both connect wirelessly to your smartphone and transfer routes, tracks, waypoints, etc through that (I know, it's about time, right?). Yes, you can even load a GPX file someone has emailed you. So Garmin is at least making a little progress.

Both of those units, by the way, also have displays that work well in bright sunlight (the Montana especially), much better than any smartphone I've ever seen. Both work with gloves, and both are rugged and waterproof.

--mark
    lakota and Davidprej like this.
  2. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    The Zumo XT and Montana 700 both have a capacitive touchscreens, the exact same as most rugged phones, so your comment about them working with gloves and being rugged and waterproof does not really differentiate them from any other rugged phone.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to spend a weekend with the zumo xt. No thanks. I found nothing it could do that I couldn't do on a phone/tablet, with the ONLY exception is that it has a brighter screen. My tablet is plenty bright enough, so I don't see how the Zumo XT is worth the premium over my setup.
    scootertrog and ohgood like this.
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    True, they do have capacitive touchscreens, but they actually work well with gloves, even ones that haven't been treated for touchscreen compatibility. There may be some rugged phones out there with the same capability, but most phones are much less glove-friendly.

Also, it's a moot point, because my mention of them working with gloves was in response to NoelJ, who specifically asked the question in his earlier post.

The aim here isn't to continue to beat dead horses over the perceived superiority of one platform over another, just to answer questions.

--mark
    V-Tom and wbbnm like this.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm aware some models almost got it right...

But they are still dependant on another device (a smartphone) and propriety software (Garmins) in order to do normal things were used to doing
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys; exactly the feedback I was looking for. Since I made the jump right into Android navigation with no stand-alone experience, it helps to have some of the "done both" contrasts. I suppose I could buy one and try it, and just sell it if I see no advantages. It's only money.
    Of course I'd like to get that perfect device we could design in ten minutes. WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN TO US! :rofl
    ohgood and Davidprej like this.
  7. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    RidewithGPS works for me. It is very easy to plan routes. It automatically syncs with my phone app, so no uploading or route conversions necessary. And it has audio and visual turn-by-turn directions. I've never tried it for offroad, but on road, it fits the bill.
  8. ADV Phil

ADV Phil Boats & Hoes Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm buying the NAV VI, maybe to use but more importantly to fill the void on the holder. Meh.
    SebRex13 likes this.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The manufactures know that the motorcycle segment is tiny compared to auto segment.... And the auto segment it's miniscule compared to the app segment.... So I guess they just throw their hands up and give up.

Oh wait, that Garmin 700 isn't horrible. They tried that time !
  10. ruckus430

ruckus430 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea but from my research on this website Im getting every indication that the dedicated GPS units will maintain there brightness in the hottest temperatures and while charging while the tablets and rugged phones will auto dim the screen rendering them USELESS. Someone please tell me Im wrong because Im this close to getting a duraforce pro.
    Or can someone lead me to a dedicated GPS unit (non subscription based) that will load GPX tracks for with topo map so I can explore off road or follow someones premade BDR gpx track
    Davidprej likes this.
  11. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NOT USELESS. That is wrong. I had a Garmin Montanna and hated it for a bunch of reasons that were important to ME. I've been happily using an iPhone 6s for three years. I have 10,000 off-road, ADV miles on it including 2.5 BDR's and the entire TAT (July 100+ degrees full sun) with this phone. The phone does occasionally (not always) dim in bright, hot sunshine. But, I can still see it and use it, it is just dimmer. To me that is a non-factor, a small price to pay over the negatives (to me) of a stand alone unit. Others might feel different about it, to them having the screen occasionally dim a bit might be a deal-breaker. But it is NOT useless. I don't know about the Kyocera DF Pro. But I do know you can try one yourself for $50-$60 to find out. If you don't like it you can then sell it for exactly the same then get a stand alone. Or keep it as a back-up to a stand alone. It really isn't a big deal for you to try it out yourself.
    scootertrog, Davidprej and flamingm0e like this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only had this happen once on my tablet. It was 100+ outside and I was running around town parking for too long in the sun.

Aside from that one time, I've never had a problem with my devices dimming on me. I don't know what people are doing to have those kinds of issues,but it certainly isn't something that I have any problems with.

Some people enjoy being subjected to using only one set of software that was designed in the 90's. I'm definitely not that way. I want my options of software and I want the ability to adapt to different situations. The Android devices allow that.
    scootertrog, Davidprej and worwig like this.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are wrong.
    scootertrog and flamingm0e like this.
  14. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, what apps do you use with your cell phone for off-road, especially the TAT? I have looked at the the DuraForce thread, but it's so long I can't easily get ideas on what apps work. Thanks.
    Davidprej likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOTS of apps work just fine for TAT.

Gaia GPS
    Guru Maps Pro
    OsmAnd
    Locus
    GPX Viewer Pro
    OruxMaps
    Kurviger Pro
    Rever
    Drive Mode Dashboard
    Davidprej likes this.
  16. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was fast. Thanks.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    The key is spending time with a few of the apps to get comfortable with them. Once you figure out what you like, you will be fine.

Personally, for just following a track, I have my tablet running Drive Mode Dashboard. I love the simple layout it provides. I also run Locus Map pro on my cell phone as a secondary view (zoomed out) of my track that I am running. It's good to have more than one source of information/maps on your devices.

If you want to mimic a "dedicated GPS" like a Garmin/TomTom, then you can run a number of apps offline that operate in the standard "Punch in an address and let the device figure out the best/fastest route".

Sygic
    Magic Earth
    TomTom Go (subscription based)
    HereWeGo
    iGo Navigation
    CoPilot
  18. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never had any of the phones I've used for navigation overheating or going dimmer. I normally use whatever main phone I have at the moment and have my previous phone as as backup. I prefer phones with LCD displays if that matters. I DID have the OIS on a phone die as a result of vibrations through a rigid mount (this forums favourite overhyped mount with the vibration insert). but this is a completely different story.
  19. ruckus430

ruckus430 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for the replies so my understanding is that the screen gets dim but can still be viewed while riding? Cause it would suck to stop and have to peek at the screen or put my hand over it to provide shade enough to see the map which kinda suck
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    This all depends on your device of choice, and the setup. With literally any airflow over the device it shouldn't dim due to heat.

You can control the brightness of the screen yourself.
    petertakov likes this.