Why does my 2 stroke carb have a bowl vent AND an overflow tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by frascati, Oct 4, 2019.

1. frascati

frascati Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The overflow tube is always open to atmosphere at the top of the tube (above the fuel level).
    The bowl vent is always open to atmosphere at the carb body above the float.

Is this just redundancy in case one gets clogged? Should blocking one or the other have any effect at all on fuel flow as long as one of them is clear? (eliminating neg or pos air pressure in the bowl)?
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    bottom one allows bowl to overflow onto the ground if float bowl overfills.

bottom one is not always open, when crossing a stream the fuel drain covered by water will kill the engine instantly. DAMHIK

If you have the upper opening it will still allow atmospheric pressure to deliver fuel through the jets.
    spokester likes this.
  3. unfocused_adventure

unfocused_adventure Not my circus, not my monkeys... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a couple of these 2 cycle fuel filters from where ever and this keeps em from getting clogged.

You need them BOTH breathing. Ones for if the float is stuck open causing the bowl to overfill and flow out the tube or the engine will fill up( not good ) the other is a vent so the float bowl doesn't vacuum lock causing fuel starvation. we call this a "dirty" air/vent line as debris can end up in the float bowl.

download.jpg
    lnewqban likes this.