Why does no one write about Paraguay and Uruguay?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MotoAdventureGal, Mar 14, 2010.

1. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

Gaston was right, I was having nightmares about reaching TDF at the end of April.

Call me a Sissy, but I'm Out!

I'm gonna have fun in the Andes, and spend more time in Peru & Bolivia.

Why doesn't anyone write about Paraguay and Uruguay and get excited about them?

I'm in Paracas, Peru right now and thinking I will ride Bolivia - Paraguay-Northern Argentina - Uruguay and Brazil.

If my ass stops killing me I might even do a loop round Brazil and leave the bike in Colombia or Ecuador.

Am I missing something with regards to Paraguay and Uruguay?

~MAG
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Probably because they aren't on the expedited S/A moto routes 'A' list, not being endpoint destinations for personal goals.
    Punta del Este has its own fame, of course.
    The Pantanal must be cool, but we don't see/read ride reports from people going there.
    Whatever you do, and where ever you ride, do it because it gives you a buzz.

Take a different turn...
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Don't let me scare you or sway you.

I like to dramatize my experiences. In real life, it was fun to ride Tierra del Fuego.

The mountain range is tiny. It gets the equivalent of lake-effect snow. Otherwise Tuerra del Fuego seems to have the same kind if weather as Rhode Island. Kind-of cold, a little damp, and the snow doesn't stick.

All I know about Uruguay is second Gand from a writer named Hiber Conteres.
  4. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know much about the rural areas and the roads in Uruguay, but Montevideo is a beautiful city with wonderful people. It is worth visiting. If you do go to Montevideo, go to the market near the port and have some "asado" at a "parrilla". I also recall that the route from Montevideo to Punta del Este is really nice. That's all I remember.
  5. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi B, You did not scare me. I've been watching the weather in Ushuaia, and the highs now are 48-50-52-46-etc. Everyone confirms lots of rain. I remember leaving Rhode Island and it was dry, and the weather was mid 50's and sunny...and even with my Gerbings I was freezing my ASS and everything else off. It wasn't fun. (And I shipped my Gerbings home from Texas!)

I realized a coupe of days ago that I am doing this trip to HAVE FUN. When I conceived of the trip I wanted to be a tough girl like everyone else--prove to myself and the world, whatever that means, that I could make the trip, solo. Blah blah blah.

Igor has actually been a great coach for me and a good friend, even though we rode together for only 3 days. He, plus my boyfriend Questor, along with my own journaling and thinking, have helped me see that I am on this trip to HAVE FUN. I won't ever have *this* trip gain, so I might as well make it what I want. Riding in 50 degree rain with 60 mph winds, doesn't sound like fun to me. Yeah, I might be able to buy a patch to put on my jacket when I get there, and I can puff myself up a bit when I tell people "I rode in the worlds worst conditions to achieve this goal".

But in the end I have decided to walk my talk, and make this trip about the people met along the way. If I slow down, I open myself up to the richness that these amazingly open Latinos offer me...themselves. A glimpse into their homes, their life, their culture, their sorrows and joys.

There's a man that runs the shop next to my hotel here in Paracas...he's a scholar on Paracas culture textiles and between conversations about that, we have these amazing esoteric conversations. The afternoons spent talking with him (and others along the way) I think are worth far more than a patch to put on my jacket that nobody cares about anyway.

<>

Plus, now I have an excuse to leave my bike down here and return. :norton
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Good stuff MAG.

I know that I have arrived at my destination when I can wake up in the morning and wonder which direction I'm going to go, or if I'm going to go anywhere at all. For me, its the only way to fly. :strum

Schedules and destinations are for people that work for living, not for vagabonds on 2 wheels.:lol3

Enjoy the rest or your adventure, buen viaje, Vicente
  7. Dr. Benny

Dr. Benny Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer:
    Have fun and tell us all about Paraguay and Uruguay! :ricky
  8. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    Yo soy uruguayo y estoy en Montevideo. Generalmente los operadores turísticos muestran Punta del este o Colonia del Sacramento, pero hay otros lugares muy interesantes. La mejor época para visitarlos es entre diciembre y marzo (verano).

Paraguay no es Uruguay: Paraguay es un país sin costas marítimas y de clima tropical.
    Uruguay es un país de clima templado con costas sobre el Rio de la Plata y el Océano Atlántico. [​IMG]

Les dejo algunas fotos:
    Fortaleza de Santa Teresa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Playa Grande (ubicada en el Parque Nacional donde está la Fortaleza)
    [​IMG]

Cerro Batoví (los cerros son las únicas elevaciones que tiene el Uruguay. El más alto apenas sobrepasa los 500 metros. Todo el territorio son praderas y llanuras onduladas)
    [​IMG]
  9. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :clap

giving notice tomorrow. :deal
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I bought a patch and never sewed it on.

I forgot about the rain. Yeah, that would suck. I had rain leaving Ushuaia and that ripio got slick.

I'm riding now. Left Madison this morning. I'm already in Wichita. 26 when I left, 40s through Jansas City. 650 miles so far in 11 hours.
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    There are some interesting stories and info on the Gran Chaco region in Paraguay, and the surrounding countries. Damn expansive and remote- 2% of the population lives in 3/5ths of the country's land area.
    Gotta be reasons, right?
    Long pizza delivery times?
    Shitty beer?
    Big cats roaming?
    Too many Spanish-speaking Mennonite Nazi inbreds?

Trails of Thorns might be a good report title.
    Probably worth checking out...
  12. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    You came through "Jansas City" and didn't let me know? You didn't think I'd know the "Jansas City" was your code for Kansas City so I wouldn't know you were here.

:fyyff :asshat
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Sorry Ken I'm riding lime an idiot. I'm supposed to be in LA (California) tomorow night!
  14. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    So did you or are you riding through Colorado and you didn't let Mrs. Cbike and me know? Asshat!
  15. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    and you didn't ride to Vancouver for a beer:asshat
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    950 miles and two flat tires and I'm completely wonderfully exhausted and you guys have me giggling.

I think I rode too far today because "Jansas City" is making me crack up.

Sorry guys. Maybe I'll be able to see sights and friends on the way home.

I must be turning into a wimp. If I was riding SA right now I'd tell Ushuaia to cone to me.

Back on topic- do check out Hiber Conteris. I think I'm spelling it right....
  17. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    OK, I think we can quit hijacking this thread.

But, maybe we've convinced MAG to make an appearance at ALARR III since I'm sure she can see how much we care for each other.

Anyway, GatoGato spent some time in Paraguay visiting a Mennonite colony. You can read about it here: http://www.journeyrider.com/

It's about halfway down the page.
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Didn't Gato Gato leave his bike somewhere, and do some hitch hiking?

Maybe sacrilidge... but I'd suggest taking the bus from mid-Argentina to Ushuaia.

The only time in my life I envied bus passengers was on 3 from Puerto Madryn to Ushuaia and back. The southern Argentina buses are pretty cool.

IMHO, Ushuaia is pretty cool, and worth a trip.

Does anyone know when the ski hill opens? (You know it's a cold place when you see a big ski resort right next to town.)
  19. blazeafar

blazeafar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Traveled through Uruguay last year.
    Traveled down the coast from Brazil to Montevideo and on the Colonia del Sacramento then north to Rivera and back into Brazil.

It was a pleasent trip and good roads.
  20. martinef

martinef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Promise....We will write about Paraguay and Uruguay when the time comes :D