Why does no one write about Paraguay and Uruguay?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MotoAdventureGal, Mar 14, 2010.

1. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    Cuando pases por Uruguay, puedes contactarte con motociclistasuruguayos.com. Vas a encontrar gente que te va a dar una mano. También hay integrantes brasileros (de Rio Grande Do Sul)
  2. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to me that both Uruguay and Paraguay suffer from being small countries with few obvious attractions adjacent to larger countries which are full of heroic destinations--Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil. Paraguay compounds this by charging US citizens $65 for visas (about which I'm not complaining--it's their right to do as they please). On the other hand, Brazil is making me wait a week and a half for my appointment at the consulate, so I'm collecting my Paraguay visa and heading for the falls, where it should be more straightforward.

I'll at least transit both countries briefly sometime soon, and I'll post a single-sentence report on each if this thread remains near the top of the forum for long enough. Otherwise, short term memory loss sets in and I'll have forgotten all about the entire issue.

Mark

(from Dakar Motors, B.A.)
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Hijack on, cuz Ken Rick Dave et all follow this stuff and I trust you ff's as much as Greg trusts his dog.

I'm in LA and heading not to Atitlan to challenge banditos, but home to Madison. Coming here across Oklahoma Texas panhandle and Arizona... I suffered. Holy shit it was cold. Flagstaff got like 2 feet of snow the day before.

Will I have to suffer as much if I go through Colorado? Should I take a more southerly route towards Houston and New Orleans? Should I hide the dragon and fly home? (ps: I've started calling the exxon valdez My Dragon.

Love,

Max
  4. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    If you get stuck in the snow, call me at 816....256....5731 and I'll hook my trailer up and come pick you up! :evil
  5. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken, but so far the snow is to my north. I took 10 to El Paso. I looked at Ciudad Juarez. I wanted to turn right...

I'm hole'd up in a Motel 6 with a cute Korean/Argentinian. I mean, there's a cute Korean/Argentinian working here. What are the odds?

Half of my supposed-rescue team is telling me to go South, but other famy stuff means I have to pull a Throttlemeister and make another postponement.
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    From Yahoo Weather for the central-plains states:

"Forecasters said gusts of up to 40 mph could create drifts of blowing snow and blizzard conditions in what the National Weather Service called "a potentially life-threatening" storm. Authorities attributed at least three deaths in three states to the weather."
  7. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have to agree here with mark, you mention that it your ride is all about people. when I take my trip of America, the america of Simon Bolivar, I will go to Paraguay and Uruguay since I have some friends from those countries. I have to be very honest, I still don't know a single GREAT attraction of neither country, still I know I will go there.

Have fun on your trip

Damasovi
  8. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

I had read other riders comments like this as well when they are returning from TDF.

How does this works?

1. Just dump the bike in some deep cliff or the sea?
    2. Give it away to some one wanting to be an ADV rider, taking the papers and licence plate with you and erase the VIN?
    3. Tear it in parts and droping them all the way along to make it untraceable?
    :lol3

now seriously, how it works from the legal point?
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are many ways, but AFAIK, Brasil offers the longest vehicle permit, at eight months. I don'tknow what's needed to extend that.
  10. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Chevere! Gracias por las fotos.

Y se que Paraguay y Uruguay son paises distintos. Me gustaria visitar a los dos. Ahora estoy buscando una ruta. Hay carreteras muy lindos para motociclistas?

No pienso que llegaré antes del mitad de Abril en Uruguay. Será much lluvia en Abril y Mayo?
  11. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Met a Dutch moto traveler yesterday that says the Chaco is interesting, but it's hot and hot and, well, hot.

I'll still probably go, but it does not seem like loads of fun.

I'll report back.
  12. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you need anything from the US just let me know, my brother is heading to Uruguay in mid April.

Sorry I missed you in NY, I could've given you some information on both countries (I am from Uruguay).

Have a safe trip!!!
  13. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    BUS?!!?!

I'd ride a donkey over taking the bus...
  14. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    ALARR III??
  15. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    3rd Annual Latin America Riders Rally. The first two were in Colorado, this year's show is in Mennasota. Come join the festivities because you are already one hell of a FF.
  16. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Bueno! Voy a contactarles antes de llegar. Ahora no necesito nada, pero siempre hay algo een que no se piensa. De todas maneras, siempre me da gusto conocer a la gente de un pais y conocer a otras motociclistas.

Gracias!
  17. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    MAG,

What are you doing asking questions like this? The reason these countries are not written about is because we are trying to keep a few places in the world from being infested with traveling locusts. I wouldn't want these places to wind up like Costa Rica.

Wife and I had our honeymoon in Montevideo-Punta del Este-Iguazu, etc. My wife used to live there in Montevideo right on the rambla. It's a great city and I prefer it to Buenos Aires. There's a lot to see there in Uruguay. but mostly I liked the people.

Paraguay is really cool. They pretty much speak the native language of Guarani once you leave the capital of Asuncion. Both countries are well worth the visit, just don't advertise your findings :wink:
  18. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't the rambla great! I used to live in Punta Gorda right next to the Embajada Suiza, best location in Montevideo. This was the view from our house: [​IMG]

The food was terrible:
    [​IMG]

My father's Salumeria in Punta Del Este
    [​IMG]

Don't miss it!!!!
  19. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    THANKS! PM Sent.
  20. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rambla was great! And I love those parillas. Great meals and very inexpensive.

What has happened to Casa Pueblo? It looks like they turned it into a resort hotel and added rooms. It used to be a private residence last time we were there.