Why does no one write about Paraguay and Uruguay?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MotoAdventureGal, Mar 14, 2010.

1. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    How´s this (only one I have of him--I was feeling too poorly to take a pic of the car battery charging his KLR...)

[​IMG]

But I think this one will amuse you...
    (Gosh we had fun!)

[​IMG]
  2. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heh heh heh. Lookit the load Justin's got on Louise's old KLR....! Personally, I try to study my LP guidebook strictly in private, out of reach of prying digital cameras. And Rick looks like you'd been working him just a tad harder than he's accustomed.

Thanks. I owe you.

Mark
  3. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Payback is a bitch...I guess I should brace myself...Rick took pics of ME too!

Hey here´s another pic for ya...first Justin insists on getting me drunk at Norton rat´s, THEN Justin insisted on my riding the next day, THEN justin insisted on patching up my broken hand so I could ride...

[​IMG]
  4. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Well, for me, Paraguay has been a country of firsts...

First night ¨stuck¨ sleeping next to the bike in the wilderness...

First latin country that seems to have a sense of örder¨even though they are poor...

First time I have seen an ostrich in the wild...

First time I have dumped the bike (this trip) in deep sand...

First time I have seen one of those weird marsh birds with a red collar that stand as high as my shoulder...

First visit to a high school to talk about my trip and cancer prevention...

First flat tire of the trip...

Folks that don´t travel here are missing out. When I process my pics I will post some here.

Thanks everyone--I am so glad I did not miss Paraguay.
  5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad it worked for you! Part of the reason to go to the places no one else does is because that's where the weird stuff happens....most of which is good, in the long run. If we all go to the same places, we all know (more or less) what to expect. Might as well stay home and play "The Price is Right."

The ostriches are rheas. A bit smaller than the African variety, but the same tiny space for brain, therefore a very similar disposition. The other birds are presumably either cranes or storks. There are some five foot tall storks across the border in Brazil: very dignified, even when they're acting totally ridiculous. I'm trying to learn how to do this, so I pay close attention.

Have fun and watch out for strange men bearing duct-tape-and-zip-tie-splints!

Mark

(from Salvador, where it is easily ten degrees cooler than Paraguay, for which I am very very thankful)
  6. A&Amission

A&Amission n00b

Oddometer:
    hey there
    I just spent 2 months in Uruguya. Mostly in punta del diablo.
    Great spot! amazing clean beaches, friendly people, safe....
    Nice hostel - Diablo Tranquilo - owner Brian.
    Don't be a sissy! go all the way to TDF! amazing riding.
    Patagonia was the best from Canada... best is for last.
    enjoy the road
    if you wan to see Uruguya pics..
    here we go,
    www.ridingthedream.blogspot.com:norton
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Well said.

The unknown, the unexpected, and your heart beats - new flavors to taste in this World's candy store.
  8. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    + a shitload. Even if you simply wander off the gringo trail, you will find some cool shit. :strum

Its interesting how many riders are "going to Ushuaia" these days. You can download some GPS tracks, read posts about how to cross the borders, put in your earplugs and get to Ushuaia in less than a month, speak nothing but English, eat at McDonalds and Tony Roma's, and see all of the Americas as a blurry vision through your visor if you so desire. Seems that a lot of people do that now. I'm not knocking it at all, its just not my thing.

I haven't wandered too far off the gringo trail (well, maybe a little bit) but I have experienced some really cool shit. The stuff I have done might be boring to many people, but I have had a great time just going with whatever happens.

I'm over the tourist shit. I just cant stomach going to any more tourist places. I will probably even skip Macchu Picchu. Sure, it would be cool to see it, but I can fly in another time with the rest of the tourists.

I must say that the best stuff happens when you stick around in one of the more mundane or obscure places for a while, meet locals and experience a little of their every day life. To me, that's the good stuff and its ultimately why I am traveling on a moto. :thumb
  9. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Are you still nursing on Udder Maximus? :D
  10. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :photog

:rofl

Naw, I'm on the move again. :strum got the bike all freshened up then I did a nice high side and superman into on coming traffic just outside of Medellin, of course at night, in the rain. :bash

Waiting on some new handlebars, and maybe figure out a way to weld up the handlebar perch on the top triple, but should be on the move again in a few days.
  11. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Jeez, man. Ouch.
    I did one of those over some wet railroads tracks in a curve and was 1/2 purple for more than a week.

Bars and mounts too creased to straighten them with a long pipe?
    Sorry to hear this, but I hope the milk was good before.

Any plans yet on going to Hugo's land, or not?
  12. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Saving a visit to Uncle Hugo for the north bound leg. :lol3

I can live with the bars, but should have a new set tomorrow, so all is good. Perch might be a problem since the top triple is aftermarket by BRP Racing to fit my Scotts damper.

I was unhurt after the high side, just a little sore, riding gear is fine as wet pavement isn't too hard on the gear.

Not really a big deal though, I'm pretty chilled just enjoying Colombia. :strum

However, I am getting antsy and feel the need to hit the road soon......
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I've read that Merida is one of those springtime weather places. Should be some young Euro trash there.

Anytime you do something very cool or really stupid, please tell us about it. :D
  14. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    You can count on it amigo. :lol3 Stupid is as stupid does. :D

OK, sorry about hijacking your thread Alisa...........

I went to the "big ass rock" (forgot the name of the town) about 40 miles outside Medellin. Got a late start from too much imbibing the night before. On the way back it was pissing down rain and getting dark. I hit Rio Negro (Medellin international airport) and headed downhill into the valley in a shit pile of traffic. Almost all the way down the hill, the traffic slowed. The car in front of me locked up his ABS. Instead of hit him, I swerved left to split the lane with oncoming traffic. Non was immediately oncoming, so no big deal. Well, turns out that there are the fíng half cantaloupe metal things on the centerline to keep people from trying to pass. I didnt see them. I hit them, I high sided. I flew through the air with the greatest of ease, and thanks to my gear, the landing wasnt bad at all.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sorry MAG, hijack off.........
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    :D
    I never trashed on one, but have come close. Kinda like a big pimple topes, but with gapes that you can see as opportunities, inviting...or not.

One of the things that I've always enjoyed when riding south is the difference in riding and driving rules. The metal cantalopes (good term), the topes, the ditches, the sidewalks, etc. No harm, just go. Real life, but also a game, if you choose to look at it like that.

Be safe, man. Keep it all in measure.
  16. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    I am back in the States now...I'll be sure to ride Uruguay on my lap #2!!! :norton
  17. MotoAdventureGal

Oddometer:
    Um...hence your screenname?

I am gad you are OK, basically.

Ride to Paraguay. It was awesome and I ha a nice soft landing in the sand. :D