Why does the V-Strom suck off road?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mp183, Aug 22, 2007.

1. motomixon

motomixon aka Felix

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I really liked this thread, even if occasionally some folks got a little aggressive about their own particular motorcycle religion.:pope

I'm riding on my own in Asheville, so really don't have anyone with experience to try out ideas with. You guys are it. I plan on going out West this summer for a dual sport adventure. So getting a comparision among DL, DRZ, DR and whatever else only helps me plan my trip better.
  2. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'll be watching your progress. Jodie just picked up her new Bonneville on Sat and I still haven't listed her 650R, wheels beginning to turn slowly... :deal :freaky
  3. EarthQuaker

EarthQuaker EarthQuaker

Oddometer:
    I was a little fascinated with the V-Strom when it came out. The SV 650 was a major hit in the San Francisco Bay Area--not surprising considering how old Honda Hawks are prized around here. It looked good to me, but I've never bought a new motorbike and thought I'd wait until the verdict was in.

When the Wee came out, that looked even better than the SV 650 for my riding tendencies. Then I was riding in Death Valley last summer on my ancient, high-miles Yamaha Seca II. There was some kind of bike way out in front of me. I gradually reeled it in, paying attention to the road, which went from packed washboard to ten inches of loose sand washboard without warning from time to time. Still, I noticed that I was getting closer and closer. I waited for a wide, straight section of road to pass, since I'm sure this guy is not looking in his rearview on this desolate road. It was a Litre-V with Givi cases, tall screen, GPS, full cordura and Alpinestar boots. The guy gave me a kind of befuddled look as I gave the thumbs up and motored on, ratty two tone (neither stock) paintjob on the '92 Seca II, old Ortlieb bags, Carhartt jeans and logger boots.

I don't think it matters what you ride. It's all about the loose nut on the handlebars...

Another note: If there was a funometer on each motorbike instead of a tachometer, which bikes do you think would hit redline the most?
  4. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    On pure dirt, I found the M60A3 and M1 MBT to be superior to any wheeled vehicle. And there are other advantages.....
    [​IMG]
  5. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    I have had all kinds of dirt bikes and went with the Weestrom in Dec. '06 for a Jeep trail offroad capable bike that is wonderous on the pavement. With full knobbies and skidplate/crash bars the bike can do quite a bit minus rock crawling, log crossings and mud bogging. The thing that must be taken VERY seriously is that though it will do off road, it will punish mistakes severely. Imagine sliding into a rain gulley and getting pinned under the bike! The bike can do some amazing things but the rider must be experienced. I am glad Suzuki made the bike for sale "half baked" and then letting the rider finish the customization process to fit their desired outcome.
  6. rockyrider

rockyrider Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clayjars,

Looks like you stole my photo album, same bike, same colour, same type of riding but different location. As a n00b 3 years ago i saw the photos of the australian v-strom flying off a 3-4 ft embankment and thought, "cool, it is an off-road bike". 3 years later i'm pushing my strom further and further but a 1 ft berm is the biggest jump so far.

the strom does go up rocky, ledgy trails in the forest and even come down but it is a slow and treacherous process. the same trails on a DRZ400 are much faster and more fun. the swiss army knife of bikes does open the bottle but like a swiss army knife it opens it slowly and with a lot more work than a proper gold plated lever opener.

great thread.
  7. rockyrider

rockyrider Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bump for concise retort
  8. lrd2sea

lrd2sea Turned orange,...

Oddometer:
    Except people hate these things and tend to bomb the hell out of it, and made videos circulate on internet whenever they have the chance.

Well, these are hated a lot lees since the end of last year. Fortunately.
  9. guitarhack

guitarhack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Said
  10. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    I've taken just about every bike I've ever owned off road at one time or another! Some have done better than others, but I always had fun no matter what I was riding.

Here's a partial list:

1957 Norton Dominator (good flat tracker, when it ran right :lol3 )
    1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
    1970 R5 Yamaha 350
    1972 Yamaha XS 650
    1972 Suzuki GT 550
    1970 Bridgestone 350 GTR
    1976 Suzuki RM 250 :D
    1977 Suzuki GS 750
    1978 Suzuki GS 750
    mid 80's Yamaha 700cc shaft drive bike (forgot the name, Maxim, maybe?)
    1991 Harley 883 Sportster
    1990 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    2002 BMW R 1150 RT
    2002 Suzuki 1200S Bandit
    2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2005 Suzuki DL 1000
    2007 Suzuki DR 650

A few others as well.

Biggest limitations for most have been tires and ground clearance. Damn that plastic crap! :rofl

The Sportster worked pretty well (great climber) and the Ultra wasn't too shabby on dirt and gravel roads, either (slides better than you would guess).

I would agree that the V Strom sucks off road (so does the BMW GS, HD Hog, Tiger, etc.), if you compare them to a DR 650, RM 250, KTM single or any other dual purpose thumper. You're still fighting the weight and I don't care how low the COG is. Throw a full set of hard bags and strap some stuff to the seat and "surprise", you ain't Joe Motocross any more. You're a fat, clumsy clod looking for the next safe place where your bike is going to decide to take a "nap" :lol3 . A good 125cc bike would smoke any of the big "Trailies", and you'd arrive at your destination without being nearly as fatigued.

I like the mid to big displacement "Adventure", bikes because I can run on pavement at triple digit speeds (in comfort) if I want to, carve up the twisties in a sporting fashion, haul a ton of camping gear, not have to stop at every single gas station and hit some trails and dirt/gravel roads to get to some cool places if I decide to.

I think most riders interested in "adventure", riding would be pretty much in agreement with this.
  11. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Why does the VStrom suck of road?

If your VStrom sucks off road then look in a mirror for the answer. :eek1
  12. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    My next door neighbor's kid can wheelie his tricycle. Now that little bugger knows how to ride. Yeeeee hawwww!!

If you're really a good rider, sit yer butt down on this baby and take her fer a little off-road spin. :eek1 Ya got marbles or baseballs? :rofl

[​IMG]