Why doesn't the F650GS have anything protecting the forks?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Excite-Bike, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Excite-Bike

Excite-Bike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an actual technical reason or did BMW just figure since it's the more road-oriented, less dirt focused bike, it doesn't need them? Kinda like how it also came with no skid plate.

And should I perhaps install a set of accordion style fork boots or maybe those velcro slip on foam "Shock Sox" or "Seal Savers"?
  2. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Why does it come without them: Dunno, maybe it's just a street bike after all but it's a problem for us as we travel-on-gravel and the odds of a stone strike are high.

We installed the Wunderlich product. No issues, although wallet stress was high

At teh time there was a lot of talk about the possibility of BMW refusing warranty if they were installed claiming some sort of hinderence to cooling; our experience is it's BS
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    IIRC The F700Gs has little guards integrated into the front fender ....
    So maybe they figured out later that some protection was a good idea?
  4. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Velcro neoprene slider thingy's are a waste, they actually do more damage than good as they hold the dust and dirt against the slider and act like sandpaper.

The accordion style are OK for big rocks etc, but again, keep you from cleaning the fork legs and they eventually accumulate dirt/mud/debris.
  5. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's one of their entry level bikes, so that's why. It has to come in at a price point.
  6. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    Not many rocks will hit the exposed part of conventional forks. Waste of time putting gators on for most riders. If you are doing lots of dirt and feel you would benefit then buy some. Not very expensive and easy to fit.
  7. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's mine, the Touratech ones

[​IMG]
  8. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    obviously a troll :lol3
  9. MiguelVR

MiguelVR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That and more brake power.
  10. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    +1 on that.

This issue, if there is one, is grim on the sliders which will get into the seals, and eventually accelerate their wear. Then you have a weeping seal....some effort to replace.

I did put on those velcro rubber boots for my trip to Alaska....part of a no farkle should be left off the bike...winter fettish.
    They did work fine.....kept the grime out of the seal but as some one noted did polish the fork tube nicely.
    \
    Eventually the ozone in the air aged the rubber so they cracked up and essential fell off. 2 or 3 years I have not replace them.

For the $20 bucks or so they cost, I would buy them again if I was going to do lots of miles in the mud....just to save spending another $20 for new seals and the half a day to put them in.