Why don't you ride to work

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Pappy541, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Pappy541

Pappy541 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simple question, so Why don't you ride to work.

I commute 47 miles each way to work and I ride unless it is bad weather.
    It takes me about 50 minutes and I have a great route that I enjoy a lot.
    I have had people say that I am lucky to be able to ride so much. I look at them and say yes I do enjoy the ride but why don't you just get up an hour earlier every day and you can ride as well. They all look at me funny. I enjoy the ride but could use the sleep and I could also cut the grass in the afternoon.
    What's your excuse?
    I
  2. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride to work nearly everyday as long as there is no rain and the low is above 40 degrees. 19 miles one way. In a couple of weeks, it will increase to 25 miles one way.
    davyjones, 1oldsickle and Cryoman01 like this.
  3. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    I live 15 minutes from my office & I have free parking. It's not worth the time to get all geared up to ride to work.
    Besides, the traffic here sucks.
  4. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    My office is in my home. Sometimes, I don't even get out of my pajamas.
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    This
    Al Tuna, Chaostrophy and Ginger Beard like this.
  6. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    By the time I transfer my access badge, safety glasses etc to my bike, get dressed and warm up the bike I could be at work. Besides 2-3 days out of the week I pick up my daughter after work. Also, it's hard to drink coffee on a bike.
    pointerDixie214 and davyjones like this.
  7. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Because in commuter traffic, I am increasing the odds of being run over astronomically and for little benefit.

A lesser reason is I want my bike to be an enjoyable hobby and not a means of transportation to a place I would rather not being going some days.

Oh yeah, and heat and cold and rain and dark and slick and the bike stays outside all day.......phooey
  8. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage

Oddometer:
    I ride every day if the weather isn't too miserable. Free covered parking at work and the commute is only 15 miles round-trip if I don't take the longer, funner route. Riding back and forth is often the best part of my work day. I also start at 0600 so I miss the shitty Seattle traffic. Winning!!!
    Billy52, longwaypyder, YJake and 2 others like this.
  9. BlueM00se

BlueM00se 'Cuse LAX Fan

Oddometer:
    I ride to work every day unless there is snow or salt on the roads. It takes a little longer to get geared up, but the enjoyment of the bike vs the truck is well worth it.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride everyday. My commute is just shy of 10 miles and the last 2.25 is a nice twisty road that makes turning into the parking lot almost worthwhile. I set a goal some time back about trying to ride every day for a whole year without missing a day and March 19th was the finish date of that one year experiment. I'm continuing to ride daily and am up to day 388 consecutive. Not bad for living in central PA.
  11. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention: another bonus of riding to work is to get in an occasional ride during lunch.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer

Oddometer:
    yup.. every day unless it's raining in the morning. Afternoon rain doesn't bother me. 70 miles r/t. I have "diamond" lanes most of the way/way home. Pretty much all to myself. Really cuts down on the cagers with phones stuck in their ears veering into my lane or just cutting me off.
    On Fridays, I take the long way home.. through the hills. weeeee
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because my commute sucks and it's not worthwhile to me.

Not a day goes by that I don't pass a fresh wreck or two on the commute. Rarely does a month go by where I don't watch a crash happen. Even doing my best to avoid them, I've been hit at least 5 times in the past 17 years since we relocated to this side of town. And that's just the ones I can think of.

There is also the very active theft and vandalism of vehicles parked here.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  14. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My commute is 4 miles-- like others, it takes me just about as much time to gear up and get out of my garage then it does to hop on the subway and be at work. Furthermore, that short commute is still through some of the densest, riskiest traffic in town, i.e. it's not a "fun" trip by any stretch of the imagination.

Yet, I still do it, because I love riding. It's crazy that it makes me want a LONGER commute, just so I could make the effort more worth my while.
    davyjones likes this.
  15. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This probably won't be a popular opinion among Perfect Liner's, but if I had a short, slow speed commute I'd probably just put on a helmet, some simple gloves, and whatever else I felt like. It's 4 miles. But I do appreciate the concern about getting run over, and no amount of gear really provides much protection from that.

I'd also be interested in bicycle, but only if there were reasonably safe routes.
    ColoradoBC likes this.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    2 miles, about 8 min. and drinking coffee, listening to morning D.J.s

When it was 15 miles, second shift I did. It’s also when I crashed.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do ride, but it's only 12 miles, off shift, so I only hit very tail of the morning commute. I'm on the San Francisco peninsula, so it never gets below freezing, and only occasionally rains. Aerostich for the win.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    davyjones and exmagnarider like this.
  18. Yanka Lisiy

Yanka Lisiy DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I used to ride to work, now I live where I work, so my street bike sits unused :(
    When I do ride to work I do it in any weather until the road is not slippery (snow/ice).
    davyjones and Chaostrophy like this.
  19. islandtosh

islandtosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is me too. Although I will sometimes take a car if I know I have to do something right after work that requires more storage space, or if I pick up / drop off people at an airport.
    neanderthal and Chaostrophy like this.
  20. exmagnarider

exmagnarider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I take the bus in to work since I have to commute into downtown Minneapolis. My bus pass saves me about $50/month over having to park. Most of the parking ramps that are nearby don't allow motorcycles because they're not set up to handle them (a whole separate stupid issue) and could therefore be a safety issue, and I honestly don't trust people to not mess with my bike were it parked in an open lot or on the street. If I get a new job outside of downtown I'll have a lot to park in that's patrolled by security and I'll be back to riding in again.
    davyjones and Chaostrophy like this.