Why Dual Sports are NOT Cool

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by dredman, May 12, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    So I am sure that my statements will trigger some readers/viewers, and I even anticipated the triggering event hoping to lower the effect with the prediction itself (let's see if that works) As a rider of dual sports since the 70's, I have found it disconcerting when recommending them to new riders, or troubled riders, or the bored and unfulfilled/disillusioned. My comments go mostly unheeded, and I have always been troubled by this. I have long been aware of the real issue - Dual Sports are NOT Cool.
    If you disagree with me, you are a DS rider, and have different perspective than the rest of the sheep. You may think they are cool because you would certainly not do anything that was not cool....right? I am talking BIG PICTURE here folks, and I am hoping to figure out maybe how we can change it. But since music & movie stars all agree with me, I think we should start with the first step, and admit we have a problem. What do you think?

Mister D, Armyguy, dtysdalx2 and 2 others like this.
  2. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People who are secure with who they are do not care in the slightest about what other people think is cool.

It's called "being an adult".
    Bors, Barry, dharmadan and 26 others like this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that's the point of the vid.
    RedEX likes this.
  4. Husky360C

Husky360C Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:thumbup
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no chance of me being "cool" no matter what I ride, so I feel free to ride what I want.

I used to be concerned with such things in my youth, but realized how much one misses out on, and has to put up with attempting to garner approval from people not worth getting approval from.
    Barry, dharmadan, DesertPilot and 7 others like this.
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    So, dredman, is that you in the video?
    dredman likes this.
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    It's funny, I was thinking about the age I was when I gave up trying to be cool when shooting this.... pretty sure I was in my early 20's? I think it really came down to 2 ideas - either you were born cool (Steve McQueen) or you worked really hard at it. I decided to focus my efforts elsewhere. :brow
    RedEX likes this.
  8. dredman

Oddometer:
    Nah, some asshole I paid $30 to read some lines I wrote. I should get my money back, that dude is a total tool and a terrible actor.
    gsweave, RedEX, SFC_Ren and 3 others like this.
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was never cool, and never will be.
    If they we cool we would wear leather and ride to bars.
    Dual sports aren't cool they are just fun. Dual sports can never be cool because they are generally in unpopulated locations. How can you be cool if no one knows if you are, or even where you are.
    dharmadan, BobcatSig and dredman like this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I hope you tell your noobies most of us didn't buy a dual sport to be cool. That's what sport bike squids and cruiser pirates do.

We ride a dual sport because it is a hell of a lot more fun than a "cool" road bike sliding around a corner on gravel and dirt roads, plus going off road. It is a hell of a lot more legal to ride on roads than a full on off road bike...

Any other questions from noobies feel free to refer them to me and some of the others here.
    dharmadan, Dryslick and dredman like this.
  11. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    They may not be cool, but there are a lot more of them around than there used to be - they have become trendy, the new in thing. I see more dual sports bikes on the road than sports bikes now.
    dharmadan and dredman like this.
  12. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Nope they are not cool. Neither is my Roadcrafter onesie. But they both are the right tool for certain jobs.
  13. itinerant wool stash

itinerant wool stash Inveterate optimist Supporter

Oddometer:
    15 minutes ... wow, that's a lot of time to say "buy the bike to ride, and not as a lifestyle accessory":dhorse :photog
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    I saw a bump (trend) a few years back, then it fizzled? I would like to see another bump, hence the purpose of the video.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    That would have been a really short video, and SOOO much easier! I will try try the brevity approach next time :1drink
  16. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, some folks feel compelled to post excruciatingly long videos about whatever pinhead thoughts enter their minds. Usually one well constructed sentence will suffice. That’s why I stopped looking at YouTube completely (with the justified exceptions for catastrophes like cranes falling over or ships hitting piers and of course cat videos.)
  17. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    It'll fizzle here now for sure. I used to look out the window at work to SH1, the main road the length of NZ, and we are the first sizable town south of Auckland. All day ADV bikes would be going up and down the road, a lot of them tourists I'd say....that won't be happening now.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's an age thing. This was me 11 years ago...

bikes 2009.jpg

This is me now. No way in hell would I have owned the 3 dual sport/adv whatever the hell you want to call them bikes. It took me almost 60 years to figure this out. Can't wait to see what direction the next 30 leads me to:D

bikes 2020.jpg
    dharmadan, RedEX, DesertPilot and 4 others like this.
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    Odd? The 'age' thing usually does the opposite - lower & slower? I even tried it, thinking that is what you are supposed to do when you became more 'mature & responsible'. I only wound up taking the wrong bike down the trail, dragging pegs, and acting like a fool like I always have - just on a silly bike. If it does not have lots of suspension travel, I don't ride it anymore.
    rd400racer likes this.
  20. VikingMoto

VikingMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just jumped on the dual sport wagon for the simple reason that I am oldish and wanted a light bike that could work as an adventure bike. Left me with little choice and what a hoot those things are!!
    dharmadan and dredman like this.