Why Dual Sports are NOT Cool

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by dredman, May 12, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    I hope you did not get that from anything that I said? :scratch
  2. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol...really? Just about everything you said was that most people buy their bikes based on social factors, not functionality...to get laid, or be popular, not to ride. You sound more like a sexually frustrated man trying to justify his incel condition as a non consequential and acceptable result of his choice of motorcycle and riding style. How many times did you mention sex in that viddie in the context that DS bikes/riders ain't getting any because of their bikes and laugh it off because it's better to be a real rider, who owns a real bike...not a "poser's" bike bought to get laid or be cool?

Thanks for mentioning Ducati as an example of a sexy bike, that has a much better chance of getting you laid. Not saying it does, but it terms of possibilities, I can't disagree with you on that. :-) Best parts of your viddie was the Pani shot. lol...

I've done the Going to the Sun Highway like you but on a road going bike designed to comfortably eat up the miles swiftly on paved and swerving roads. Enjoyed it thoroughly as part of a cross country tour involving several 1K days in the saddle. Tell me, when was the last time you did one or more 1K days on your DS, or do you just spend hours at a time, covering maybe 50 miles of back roads at tiddly wink speeds and call that having so much fun that getting laid doesn't even matter anymore? lol...

Annd, you ride a Beemer, one of the most sexy brands around in the eyes of the unwashed masses, and have the gaul to say you don't care about being cool? Laughable. :-)

Enduros never appealed to me because the riding style never appealed to me, not because the bike was ugly or not cool. Just not my style. Not because I think another motorcycle has a better chance of getting me laid, or of being validated by the favorable opinions others have about my bike.

Ultimately, your video screed boils down to condescension, not revelation. I'm glad you enjoy your riding style and bike. All riders should. :-)
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    If bikes are what gets a guy laid, what are sports cars, tattoos and fancy facial hair designs for then? Is it possible that when you're impressed with yourself, you're more confident and willing to initiate/engage with women? Nah, gotta be them rims, right? Women are all about them rims.
    dredman likes this.
  4. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hey it's a good way to fill the day, if your state is still locked down! :D
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Personally never connected owned objects as a means to get friendly with wimin. Owned objects (talking about things with wheels, that float or fly) are good for entertaining wimins along with myself. As is sharing a beverage or two, listening to music, or just a walk through a natural area. Riding IMO is a way to rest my weary mind after a day's work or merely for the hell of it. There is no question I will continue riding so long as I can toss a leg over and exercise the concentration needed. For the OP: Have we settled the question why the reputation of dual sports is important? Few here say what others think about their rides being cool or not cool as an important consideration.
    dredman and RedEX like this.
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Does your state restrict riding? Curious to know since MI doesn't seem to restrict people showing up armed and in close contact at the state capital. BTW, are the weapons these people show up with loaded?
    dredman likes this.
  7. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some people do buy things because they are "cool" or in style or whatever. Others buy things because that's what they want or enjoy and they don't care about what others think.

So my question for the OP. Do we really want to attract those people who buy things because they are "cool" to dual sport riding?
    dredman likes this.
  8. dredman

Oddometer:
    Sorry you misunderstood most, if not all of my points, and sorry you got your feelings hurt. If you are one of the 15% of motorcycle owners that actually ride your bike and enjoy your bike, this video was NOT for you. I would however have thought that most of those folks would have watched, giggled, and agreed with most of the points I made?

Your statement: Enduros never appealed to me because the riding style never appealed to me, not because the bike was ugly or not cool. Just not my style.
    says everything - WHY?
    My guess is that is an image thing - the point of the entire video.....that you missed. Go back and watch the whole video with your big boy pants on this time :)

I will be glad to discuss any individual points you disagree with. Otherwise, please enjoy your riding style, as I enjoy most of them myself.

9. dredman

Oddometer:
    Ya know, I am certainly NOT gonna dismiss bikes, cars, tattoos, or even rims (hard to believe) as effective on the opposite sex, because they ARE! We are animals, part of the kingdom known for display for sexual attraction. Some species of birds were almost wiped out because of the fancy feathers that humans had to have for their HATS - to be cool. I have to be careful here, not to trigger yet another rider with my condescension, but this is basic human behavior. It is ridiculous, but that is what we are known for. Seriously, ask yourself, what kinds of silly behaviour have you exhibited in your life to get laid? I have done some amazingly embarrassing things in my life, and the truly amazing thing is how so many of them WORKED?
  10. Colorad0

Colorad0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have enough energy left after your DS ride to worry about getting laid, you're riding the wrong trails! :dunno

I strategically save just enough energy to get my gear off and crawl into the hot tub with a bottle of rum :jkam
    Reeds Moto, dtysdalx2 and dredman like this.
  11. dredman

Oddometer:
    I think I answered this one already, but yes. Looking for the wayward boys. A few of them will find revelation, and be redeemed in the wilderness - bless'ed be The Maker of Knobbies - Amen!
    mountaincadre and klaviator like this.
  12. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am guessing that is EXACTLY why we see so FEW Unicorns on Knobbies - EVERYBODY is WHOOPED at the end of the day, and we already have a DAMNED SMILE ON OUR FACE !! The ladies are still horny, and they go elsewhere :)
  13. dredman

Oddometer:
    I would as most of us grow older & wiser we realize what is really important, and that may be the reason most DS riders are 40+ ??

Like I said before, I realize I am preaching to the choir.... mostly :)
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fact is that it's not just dual sport riders that are mostly over 40, it's motorcycle riders in general. Why do you think Harley is so worried right now?
    dredman likes this.
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    Harley is in a panic - they have been desperately trying capture the emerging market for 2 decades now, and mostly failing. Price point, appeal (selling an old man's bike to a 20-something) and simply trying to come up with something new and interesting is obviously difficult for the stiff old Iron Giant, despite genius marketing.
    klaviator likes this.
  16. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    A dirtbike with a plate is one of the greatest inventions ever, let's keep it our little secret.:1drink
    Reeds Moto, dtysdalx2, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I got my first bike I though maybe girls would want to hang out with me and go for a ride. I was quick to discover that I was wrong and life has been much simpler ever since.
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    dredman, RedEX and klaviator like this.
  19. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be 50 this year and grew up watching the Dakar,( strange as my old boy hated bikes but loved watching this NEW thing on tv) to me as a kid watching these guys on crazy looking bikes racing through the desert was something magical, after the 1st nights highlights I asked my old boy if I could get a bike and the rest is history, and DS bikes are CAF.
    dredman and skibum69 like this.
  20. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That wasn't helped when they succeeded, panicked and cut Buell's throat.

With that history I can't see any way they can succeed because anything that is different and successful and the same thing will happen.
    dredman likes this.